Thread: Donzi 38ZX

1. Collapse Details
    Donzi 38ZX
    Registered
    Does any one out there know how a older 38zx runs with 500s and a non stepped hull . How do the new ones run with the stepped hulls? What is good or bad about these boats?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by G-MAN View Post
    Does any one out there know how a older 38zx runs with 500s and a non stepped hull . How do the new ones run with the stepped hulls? What is good or bad about these boats?
    I had an 02 with the 500 efi's and it was the chit!!! Road like a dream and was a bulletproof setup. This was the stepped hull. It handled 2-5's like a dream. I was never in the non-stepped hull. My 02 was a gps 70-75 mph all day long in Midwest conditions. I do know that several had problems eating drives but that is sometimes a case of driver mistakes as well. I went thru my drives after 300 hours and did upper rebuilds. Besides that, I highly reccomend the boat, its amenities, awesome cockpit, headroom in the cabin, etc. made it a great fit for my family with 3 kids. Good luck.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    I have a 2000 with 525SC's and has seen roughly 80-82mph when it was new with 28" B1's. Very well built and in my opinion the best looking boat ever (chicks dig it big time ). They ride well but sometimes i think i should be better, the boat is very beamy and that tends to make it rougher. All the factory cleats are very poorly placed and dont even think of sending someone out on the deck to retrieve lines unless they are VERY sure footed. Outside of those little things it is a fantastic boat. Theres a reason it has remained unchanged for what 10-12 years now?

I have only gone through one drive since new and it was partly self inflicted. I change flui9ds religously. I have 250 plus hours on the boat now an it still sees upper sevinties, I seem to be off a pound of boost or so

I also highly recomend the boat.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks for the input. Was thinking about a cat but after some thought decided to go the v hull direction. I have a 28ZX now and dont think the cleats are in the best locations either. I think one of these will be a great choice, great looking, still farily fast and lots of room and goodies.

5. Collapse Details

Can't speak to the 38, but should I hit the Lotto tonight there is a 45ZX over in the OSO classifieds that has my name on it. Dark blue hull, huge cockpit, triple 500EFI's, I'll bet that thing rides like a freaking Cadillac no matter what the water is like....