Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    European classes
    Charter Member, Competitor Cookee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi I replied to a thread elsewhere and it was suggested I put it in here as well:

This is a RIB that we make - did 91.5mph with a 2.5 offshore on the back - 24' and 975kg.

The P1 racing is split into two classes, the production "Supersports" class has a power to weight ratio of 4.5kg to 1 HP and a speed limit of 85mph. The race boat class is also for monos with a 3.5kg to 1 HP weight limit, no speed limit and canopies, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette and Donzi all have boats racing in the top class.

The Dubai based 6 litre class if for monos or cats, but cats rule - Doug Wrights go well, and any competitive boat from the US should do well over there, but with the cash prizes the competition is hotting up all of the time.

P1 is better for PR and runs in the summer season with a truly International venue series, with the X Cat series running in the winter, little to no PR and prize money it is almost the opposite.

If anyone want s to know more get in touch - I write for a UK magazine about racing as well as building and racing boats myself.

Below the Rib is our latest project for the Marathon class which would compete in the annual Cowes Torquay Cowes race as well as the next round Britain race which will be in 2012 just before the London Olympics.

Email is cookee@bananasharkracing.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biboa 75.JPG   P016_R18.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, what are those races I see on line with the outboard and two people in an open boat? The seem to be popular. Small Vee's, seems many sit in-line.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Thanks, what are those races I see on line with the outboard and two people in an open boat? The seem to be popular. Small Vee's, seems many sit in-line.
    Have you got a link to those on line videos?

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
    Have you got a link to those on line videos?
    http://www.f4sa.com/tv.php

These guys.....

Some of the links are imbedded down at the left side

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    http://www.f4sa.com/tv.php

These guys.....

Some of the links are imbedded down at the left side
    Ok those are from a series promoted by Honda with them paying for TV coverage, it runs in New Zealand as well - it is the importer rather than Honda Japan paying.

It was very popular until this year when Honda pulled back a bit and announced they would pull out completely in a couple of years - can't give the boats away for half of what they were worth 12 months ago! Also with the TV coverage the teams were able to get some sponsorship, but that is harder to get as well now. At least one team have bought a cat to go and race in the gulf with the X cats next winter.

There are a core of enthusiastic racers in the Honda series and they will prevent it from collapsing, but it will only regain its former glory if they can get a good budget to run it and in the current climate that will be hard work, I wish them well and hope that they can continue and get back to where they were.

Anything else you need to know?

You can get into P1 Supersports for not much money - a Donzi zx38 with twin 525's would get you an occasional podium if driven well, and I believe a Fountain 42 with the same power would be competitive as well - just ship it over here!
    Last edited by Cookee; 07-09-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Ok those are from a series promoted by Honda with them paying for TV coverage, it runs in New Zealand as well - it is the importer rather than Honda Japan paying.

It was very popular until this year when Honda pulled back a bit and announced they would pull out completely in a couple of years - can't give the boats away for half of what they were worth 12 months ago! Also with the TV coverage the teams were able to get some sponsorship, but that is harder to get as well now. At least one team have bought a cat to go and race in the gulf with the X cats next winter.

There are a core of enthusiastic racers in the Honda series and they will prevent it from collapsing, but it will only regain its former glory if they can get a good budget to run it and in the current climate that will be hard work, I wish them well and hope that they can continue and get back to where they were.

Anything else you need to know?

You can get into P1 Supersports for not much money - a Donzi zx38 with twin 525's would get you an occasional podium if driven well, and I believe a Fountain 42 with the same power would be competitive as well - just ship it over here!

Just get a couple stops here and it may be an option......

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Just get a couple stops here and it may be an option......
    Just let me know when to expect it!

8. Collapse Details

Rat- the boats you're talking about are one-design pieces built by Cougar. Honda Outboards. We had that here- called them "batboats". Great racing- too bad it didn't catch on.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Rat- the boats you're talking about are one-design pieces built by Cougar. Honda Outboards. We had that here- called them "batboats". Great racing- too bad it didn't catch on.
    We have those over here as well with Volvo 5.7 litre motors in and the Volvo DPX duoprop drive, they run at mid seventies and are called V24's

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    We have those over here as well with Volvo 5.7 litre motors in and the Volvo DPX duoprop drive, they run at mid seventies and are called V24's
    Do they have a circuit still? I know they were originally from Europe.

11. Collapse Details

Kinda died out. Reindl still brings the boats to OPA races on a rent-a-ride program. They run well and are pretty bulletproof. Hard to imagine why they didn't catch on.

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Because they weren't cool looking or sexy
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    They didn't do an outboard Batboat, did they?

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Do they have a circuit still? I know they were originally from Europe.
    They were designed by Ocke Mannerfelt from Sweden, but made under licence in various places, ignoring the Ribs there are 4 models that I know of - a small 1.3 litre outboard that is the B22, the B23 that was made for the XR2 2 litre 200 hp Merc and is now running the 2.5 litre 200XS, the V24 and the B28 made for twin XR2's - Ian Blacker ran one with a canopy in the Middle East series until he got his cat. That B28 was made in the US and was the last one made before the company went bust and he was lucky to get it at all. Someone (may have been the same company) also made a leisure version of the V24 without the roof.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Chris I just reread your post above - The Batboats are not Cougars with Hondas - completely different.

Reindls boats are all Mannerfelt designed boats the same as the V24's in Europe, and the Cougar boats are all open topped Honda 4 stroke boats with a liking for sending their occupants for a swim when pushed a little too hard! www.f4sa.com

16. Collapse Details

The 28' Cougars used in the Honda Series are pretty sharp boats - they have a removable back-seat cover (used when racing) that comes off for leisure use - so you can seat 4-5 total. And 70mph in a 28' boat with a 225 hp outboard isn't bad, either. I wouldn't mind having one....

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack58 View Post
    The 28' Cougars used in the Honda Series are pretty sharp boats - they have a removable back-seat cover (used when racing) that comes off for leisure use - so you can seat 4-5 total. And 70mph in a 28' boat with a 225 hp outboard isn't bad, either. I wouldn't mind having one....

Sweet. Now if they could make that with a canopy that was removeable it would really be sweet......

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Hi I replied to a thread elsewhere and it was suggested I put it in here as well:

This is a RIB that we make - did 91.5mph with a 2.5 offshore on the back - 24' and 975kg.

The P1 racing is split into two classes, the production "Supersports" class has a power to weight ratio of 4.5kg to 1 HP and a speed limit of 85mph. The race boat class is also for monos with a 3.5kg to 1 HP weight limit, no speed limit and canopies, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette and Donzi all have boats racing in the top class.

The Dubai based 6 litre class if for monos or cats, but cats rule - Doug Wrights go well, and any competitive boat from the US should do well over there, but with the cash prizes the competition is hotting up all of the time.

P1 is better for PR and runs in the summer season with a truly International venue series, with the X Cat series running in the winter, little to no PR and prize money it is almost the opposite.

If anyone want s to know more get in touch - I write for a UK magazine about racing as well as building and racing boats myself.

Below the Rib is our latest project for the Marathon class which would compete in the annual Cowes Torquay Cowes race as well as the next round Britain race which will be in 2012 just before the London Olympics.

Email is cookee@bananasharkracing.com
    Great RIB! I am a RIB fan! I have a SACS 680 for pleasure use. What do these sell for F.O.B. Miami unrigged?
    Thansk
    Steve

19. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    Great RIB! I am a RIB fan! I have a SACS 680 for pleasure use. What do these sell for F.O.B. Miami unrigged?
    Thansk
    Steve
    steve let me know what they say ,,,i like that boat?

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    Rat

My $.02 is this.....

I keep seeing you post that same thing. Do you not understand that if you make any canopy removeable, IT WILL NOT BE SAFE?? Do you really want to put you and your wife into something that is questionable. If it were such a good idea all of the builders would be doing it already. Sadly, you can't have both....if you want a pleaser boat buy one.....if you want a race boat buy one.....
    Ryan Beckley