Thread: Radio question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Radio question
    The head unit is shot so I`m looking for a replacement, its in the cuddy.
    Am I presuming correctly that the difference between a regular unit and a Marine one is a bit more waterproofing?
    Not much choice out there for Marine receivers , i`d rather get a regular head unit.. unless they make em more shock proof??

thanx

2. Collapse Details

Obnoxus may know something about this...

I put a regular car audio headunit in mine last spring and had no issues at all this year.

3. Collapse Details

Obnoxus is going to be your best source of info. but I have a question why wouldn't you use a marine unit????? I love my new Kenwwod and it was about the same $$$$ as a non-marine one????

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...arine/KMR-700U

4. Collapse Details

I have always bought Clarion marine head units and they are awesome. A bit pricey, but they are functional, have good sound quality, and I get many years out of them. I find crutchfield has great prices on them.

5. Collapse Details

The receiver that`s in there now is fairly new (previous owner) everything still works but no sound. I rechecked everything and it seems the receiver must be bad.
    The previous owner put in an amp but just threw it behind the radio so it was boucing around in there, maybe that`s why a newer unit is toast.

Honestly, I used the radio maybe a couple times last year so i don`t want to spend much, I`d be happy with this:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...amas_MP46.aspx

"shockproof memory" and the name bahamas how can you go wrong>>lol

6. Collapse Details

Make sure everything is mounted securely and fused and grounded properly. I would get a marine unit. I have used regular car units in the past. One thing I would be sure to do with whatever you get is make sure it has a connection for your I Pod. Nothing better than cruise to music at any speed with no skips of cd's or bad radio reception!

My .02

X2 on getting ahold of Obnoxous, his set up and the set up he did for BZ freakin rock!!!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Ditto on the IPOD connection. I went one better when I replaced mine this summer. I have a front USB port that I can plug a thumb drive into. Download a mess of MP#s and plug it in and select shuffle. I love it. Mine is a Sony but I can't remember which model.

8. Collapse Details

Marine head units are more resistant to humidity, splash and UV rays. Yours is mounted in the cabin so splash and UV rays shouldn't be too much of an issue. Since you're boating in freshwater vs. saltwater, corrosion also isn't too much of a concern. I would think that you would be fine with a car stereo head unit but you HAVE to get marine grade speakers! Also, X2 on the iPod connection....digital music doesn't skip and Pandora and Last.fm on the iphone are great!

9. Collapse Details

CHECK The Fuse On The Amp- Fuse On Radio , Etc.

10. Collapse Details

I have a regular head unit that is mounted in cabin entry, so i can point the remote at it while behind the steering wheel. Always used standard car audio units with good luck. But nowadays, there is some better selection in marine units.

Im guessing yours is wired to the amp thats in there? Are you sure its not the amp thats toast?

11. Collapse Details

could be a blown fuse or a dead cell in one of your batteries. Mine stereo wouldn't play this summer and it turned out I dropped a cell in a battery

12. Collapse Details

Yes,,,, there is alot more to marine the water proof, and there are many good options.

Kenwood and Clarion would be my first choices.

I would check a bit further though on this radio being bad. I doubt you lost both the preout and powered out of the radio.

I would dig a bit deeper or I can take a peek at it for you before you panic

13. Collapse Details

I hooked up my Ipod directly to the amp, both front and rear speakers worked fine. So im pretty sure its the radio...They don`t make a y connector with 4 RCA plugs do they then I wouldn`t even need a radio.. Ipod directly to amp

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    I hooked up my Ipod directly to the amp, both front and rear speakers worked fine. So im pretty sure its the radio...They don`t make a y connector with 4 RCA plugs do they then I wouldn`t even need a radio.. Ipod directly to amp

I remember in high school, when EVERYONE had a kickerbox in their car, a buddy of mine had a sony walkman with a y plug wired to a amp and a set of big ass fisher house speakers in his station wagon (a wood paneled mid 80's caprice). Hilarious, but it was loud! I think he did upgrade to a portable cd player once cassettes were phased out.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    I have a regular head unit that is mounted in cabin entry, so i can point the remote at it while behind the steering wheel. Always used standard car audio units with good luck. But nowadays, there is some better selection in marine units.

Im guessing yours is wired to the amp thats in there? Are you sure its not the amp thats toast?
    Yes, but nobody has a better collection of 8-Tracks than you......LOL

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by B.Z. View Post
    Yes, but nobody has a better collection of 8-Tracks than you......LOL
    lol, I actually did have a bunch that came in the trunk when I bought my 76 Triple black coupe deville.......some Frankie Vallie, some dion, and so forth....shoulda kept it...How nice would this have been to pull up to a reagle beagle party in!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cadillac Pics 002.jpg   Cadillac Pics 004.jpg   Cadillac Pics 007.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

I remember in high school, when EVERYONE had a kickerbox in their car, a buddy of mine had a sony walkman with a y plug wired to a amp and a set of big ass fisher house speakers in his station wagon (a wood paneled mid 80's caprice). Hilarious, but it was loud! I think he did upgrade to a portable cd player once cassettes were phased out.
    haha a kid i know did that in highschool to a BEAT UP volvo 850 wagon. it was so jokes.

18. Collapse Details

lol, I actually did have a bunch that came in the trunk when I bought my 76 Triple black coupe deville.......some Frankie Vallie, some dion, and so forth....shoulda kept it...How nice would this have been to pull up to a reagle beagle party in!!
    You know my 1st car was a 77 CDV...LOL

19. Collapse Details

Sweet!!!!!! Stuff alot of bodies in dat trunk!

20. Collapse Details

Trunk was huge!

Coulda kept it and put a hitch on it to tow the Beagle around! It did have a 500CI caddy motor! Maybe I should get a couple of them to power the Beagle. Ditch the Formula logos and put a big V with a crest on the transom and "Brougham" decals in the beagle