Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Why are long, loud, fast boats all called Cigarette Boats!!!

3. Collapse Details

The way I look at it is that the water ways are out there for anyone and everyone to enjoy no matter what type of water toy they are on. If anyone is pompous enough to flip me off or do something else along those lines, I will happily hand over the wheel to my wife or one of my buddies and go ask them politely what there problem is.

I mean I don't flip off sailors when the take there half out of the middle when they are under power in the marina. Those jokers seem to forget that they are the same as everyone else when there sail is down!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fresh View Post
    There are certainly no shortage of buttheads in our hobby. A lot of guys like to rile people up and show off. My boat is not that loud and nothing to show off but I also try to get docked and shut down as quickly as possible. I also warn anyone standing behind the boat when I'm going to fire the motors. We have enough people that don't like us as it is, no sense in making more.
    Yes...this hobby has plenty of a$$wipes in it. I do the same thing warning families, kids, Gramps, moms & whomever before I start the engines and I get out quick. I've seen plenty of times at the dock or restaurants tough guys revving the engines and making a spectacle out it. I love loud boats but that behavior irritates me too. I can understand some of the reactions we get and thanks to some we now have a noise law in CT.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    The way I look at it is that the water ways are out there for anyone and everyone to enjoy no matter what type of water toy they are on. If anyone is pompous enough to flip me off or do something else along those lines, I will happily hand over the wheel to my wife or one of my buddies and go ask them politely what there problem is.

I mean I don't flip off sailors when the take there half out of the middle when they are under power in the marina. Those jokers seem to forget that they are the same as everyone else when there sail is down!

That is my perspective..Boats are outside, boats are loud . If you dont like things that are loud go inside or go somewhere else. I dont go yell at sail boaters when all I hear during the day when their sitting at the dock is ClANG, ClANG,CLANG, CLANG!!

6. Collapse Details

One of my employees fishes on the same lake that I boat on. He asked me one day why all the azzhole cigarette boaters had to come so close to the fishing boats. I explained that in that area most "cigarette boats" run from point A to point B and when the fishing boats are loosly grouped together covering a several square miles, going around isnt an option. I saw the lightbulb come on, he says well that makes sense, guess I wont be flipping those guys off anymore. Sometimes a simple explanation is all it takes.

7. Collapse Details

I live in a neighborhood where about 10 people have little 18-24' boats and all they do is complain about spending 50 bucks on gas for thier boat..... well, some of them. I like to tell them that is what I tip the dock girl some days if she's really cute as I put about $800 worth of gas in my cig.
    They think I am nuts. I enjoy it. Makes me laugh.

8. Collapse Details

What brand of sailboat does your neighbor have?
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

9. Collapse Details

Probably the same guys who love loud Harleys !!!!

We get crap for being loud out on the water,,,, but its fine for them to go through neighborhoods wide open making all sorts of noise ,,,, at all hours of the day and night !!!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    I agree. I took a couple out a while back who absolutely hated 'cigarette boats.' They always hang out at my marina bar and are otherwise really nice and cool, but they just hate go-fasts (they're sailor, of course)...Well we always hang out at the bar and bullsht until one day they see my boat...they're like "wow, that's yours." I say "yes, she is." Total attitude change...and then the lecturing...seamanship, safety, courtesy, blah, blah, blah. I finally offered them a ride, and afterwards they totally came around. The guy says "Okay, I understand now, very cool, thank you." During the ride he's grinning ear-to-ear just friggin' loving it. We had a few drinks at the bar afterwards, and he was very appreciative, and had a whole new perspective. The guy now gives thumbs-up instead of the finger.
    I think you have the best approach to this problem. ****ing people off only makes it worse. They are just ignorant, education is the answer.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

11. Collapse Details

I tend to just apologize and move on - People are either ignorant or jealous or BOTH so I just get out of dodge....

I have had a couple run ins at the dock. One sailboater guy screaming at me about no wake - I just apologized and went on my own way, and didn't bother to explain to him that there is no way I can get a boat that size to maneuver around the dock and kick up a wake. Two other guys standing there took up for me and said I hadn't created a wake, but he ignored them and followed me up the ramp to tell me that my brake light was out. I sarcastically thanked him and didn't mention that the plates were off another trailer and I didn't even have a title to THAT trailer!!

Last weekend some guy in a Kayak gave me the tongue in cheek line "I guess we don't have to worry about scaring off the fish". Dickhead....

12. Collapse Details

registered
    No comment on this one...

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BradB View Post
    That is my perspective..Boats are outside, boats are loud . If you dont like things that are loud go inside or go somewhere else. I dont go yell at sail boaters when all I hear during the day when their sitting at the dock is ClANG, ClANG,CLANG, CLANG!!
    I forgot about all the clanging, on the bright side they do make nice lightening rods

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    It is a sign of the times. In the 90's, I would strat my 28 cig up and everyone would comment how cool, can I go for a ride etc..Now you get the finger.

15. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
    It is a sign of the times. In the 90's, I would strat my 28 cig up and everyone would comment how cool, can I go for a ride etc..Now you get the finger.
    I don't get the finger THAT often, but it happens. I usually act on it. It's like they don't expect you to say anything to them!

It does **** me off when I quickly dock my boat and shut the engines down right away and people start clapping. In the past month, it has happened every time that I dock (It is louder than chit with stellings dry pipes)........and I immediately fire them back up. I shut 'em down after about 2 seconds and yell out "Do you want some more"?? That usually makes people chuckle! The funny part is that the owners of the place love it.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I don't get the finger THAT often, but it happens. I usually act on it. It's like they don't expect you to say anything to them!

It does **** me off when I quickly dock my boat and shut the engines down right away and people start clapping. In the past month, it has happened every time that I dock (It is louder than chit with stellings dry pipes)........and I immediately fire them back up. I shut 'em down after about 2 seconds and yell out "Do you want some more"?? That usually makes people chuckle! The funny part is that the owners of the place love it.
    That is awesome right there! Bottom line is the water is for EVERYONE to enjoy, whether your boat is loud or ass quite as a mouse! People just need to shut the friggin mouth before someone helps them shut it!

17. Collapse Details

Last summer I was supposed to pick four people up at Monroe Harbor in Chicago... Of course, my idiot friends didn't understand that I wanted to pick them up SOUTH of the Chicago Yacht Club... When I idle by with my twin cammed BBC's, I notice they are standing directly north of the CYC's outdoor patio where a bunch of Chicago socialites with old ladies wearing big hats are eating sunday brunch.

Sooo, I was forced to do a touch-and-go at the Yacht club to board these scallawags. The harbor-boy in the short shorts and polo shirt looked like he was going to $hit his pants, along with all the people eating. He comes up pleading "you can't do this here! you can't do this here!" By that time, everyone was on my bow and we were backin out.... I replied "we were just leaving, thanks buddy have a good one."

It was classic.
    Unstoppable f'n terror.

18. Collapse Details

If someone cheered for boats becase they shut down at the bars we hang out at they would probably get a boot in the azz by the management.

19. Collapse Details

I took my boat up to Lake Joseph Club last year which is a pretty swanky place on what is probably the most exxpensive lake to cottage on in Canada. My buddy has a place up there. We have golfed a few times at the club, etc.

Anyhow, I know alot of the people up there and I sort of know how they operate and there are many good ones but also the snobs with the sweaters over the shoulders who have never seen a wrench or even cast a line in the water fishing. Yuppie types. (not that there is anything wrong with that, not my business to judge).

Well not having boated up there very much I unknowingly blasted right by the Club's docks (safe distance obviously) at 80mph (WOT). Then we realized what it was, spun it around, docked and had a beer. As we were coming in to dock my buddy and I were laughing because we thought they might not even let us dock there.

To my suprise more than a few of the people did the exact opposite of what we thought they would do. They came down to the dock to check out the boat and ask questions. Then Mark from Tuff boats came by in a Tuff 28 and we had 2 fast boats sitting there. It was pretty cool.

I am sure there were some that hated us and hoped we sank but Canadians are usually too polite to say anything anyhow!!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by baddogz28 View Post
    Last summer I was supposed to pick four people up at Monroe Harbor in Chicago... Of course, my idiot friends didn't understand that I wanted to pick them up SOUTH of the Chicago Yacht Club... When I idle by with my twin cammed BBC's, I notice they are standing directly north of the CYC's outdoor patio where a bunch of Chicago socialites with old ladies wearing big hats are eating sunday brunch.

Sooo, I was forced to do a touch-and-go at the Yacht club to board these scallawags. The harbor-boy in the short shorts and polo shirt looked like he was going to $hit his pants, along with all the people eating. He comes up pleading "you can't do this here! you can't do this here!" By that time, everyone was on my bow and we were backin out.... I replied "we were just leaving, thanks buddy have a good one."

It was classic.
    Good one Chris! I LOVE goosing my motors as I idle past that place! Pulled in there a couple summer's ago with Big Rick's 46 Rough Rider w/1200s to make a quick repair. A huge crowd gathered right away, but the dock wienies were there quickly to try and shoo us off.