Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Powerboat P1 World Championship is FINSHED AND CANCELLED FOR 2010 !!!!!!!!
    Exclamation
    Rumours from today's meeting are that out of 3 classes in p1 (evolution, supersport, superstock) 2 are cancelled and only one remains i.e. superstock class. It is a true shame a sad news and yet antoher blow to our wonderful sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:/

Cheers,
    Rob.
    Last edited by ufix1; 04-02-2010 at 02:47 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I just heard this from another source....Is this confirmed?

If true the "tail chasing" continues in an ever decreasing circle.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details

Surely the US has a couple extra classes we can lend them for the time being...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

4. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    this is not so ,,they are putting out a press release ,to explain their plans,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

5. Collapse Details

heard it from a reliable source so far only superstock remains.
    Last edited by ufix1; 04-02-2010 at 02:47 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ufix1 View Post
    heard it from a reliable source so far only supersport remains.
    Super Stock remains, not Super Sport, at least according to Asif Rangoonwalla, the chairman of Powerboat P1. Go to http://www.boats.com/boat-content/20...done-for-2010/. In particular, check out the bold text near the bottom of the release.

Rangoonwalla's statement is tough to get through because it's cluttered with a lot of nebulous language, but the bottom line is the 2010 season won't happen for the Evolution and Super Sport classes, at least under the Powerboat P1 umbrella.

They are talking about launching a "new business model."

What bothers me first as a reporter and second as a fan is this: Powerboat P1 management has to have been discussing this for some time. It says as much in Rangoonwalla's statement. So why announce plans for expansion into the U.S. market?

To be continued.
    Last edited by Matt Trulio; 04-01-2010 at 07:41 PM.

7. Collapse Details

"What is it that makes the business unsustainable? As many of you know, unlike traditional motorsport, powerboating does not enjoy any significant revenue from ticketing or television rights. Added to this is the fact that sponsorship income is very limited for what is very much a niche sport."

Unfortunately this statement was true in 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005 and today.

The investment to produce offshore races is so siginificant that it is virtually impossible to make a business model that is profitable.

A real shame.....I never made it to Europe to see one of the P1 races but people who have told be that it was some of the most unbelieveable racing & "event" that they had ever been to.

OPA has kept their model simple and "bare bones" and even they experience some speed bumps with race sites and money from time to time. But without having huge overhead, they are able to make it work and everyone has FUN

8. Collapse Details

Dave,

I was fortunate enough to cover the P1 event in Malta a few years ago, and it was very, very cool. But even then, Mr. Rangoonwalla told me he had spent "millions and millions of dollars" and was expecting a return in the near future.

9. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    well $hit......there goes my summer of fun!! dang this sucks
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

10. Collapse Details

My comments are the same as T2x.

11. Collapse Details

I was really looking foreward to this season coming up.What a shame. I bet the teams are really pissed off. Well at least some of the teams will start racing here in the states. At least we'll get the opportunity to see Nigel run his new Boat

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Very sad, but why do people think that offshore racing is different over there then here,,same $hit all over and somebody will start again and again and again !!!!!!!!!

Nothing new.

Anybody has some intresting things we can read ????

13. Collapse Details

Allweiss must be shaking his head , again!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    Allweiss must be shaking his head , again!
    I was actually thinking the same thing.

This will make for interesting commentary tomorrow.

15. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Where is the "April Fools" part in this story?

16. Collapse Details

It's sad I hope it is April fools joke ??Thought things were hanging in there .

17. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    I was actually thinking the same thing.

This will make for interesting commentary tomorrow.
    Lets hope this means well for P1 USA. i guess im trying to find something positive about this. Sorry to everyone involved.
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    well $hit......there goes my summer of fun!! dang this sucks
    Nigel must be disapointed......I know its not summer in Europe....but it would be nice to have you around us with the Coast Guard Team......

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Nigel must be disappointed......I know its not summer in Europe....but it would be nice to have you around us with the Coast Guard Team......
    Now that u mentioned that...wonder what is with all the teams that spend all the green for P-1 Europe on the new boats/equipment.....
    PANTERA's new 41, Nigels boat, The new OL ....and so on..........

i guess i stick with the US nonsense racing here ,,at least there is a place for every boat !!!!!! mmmmmhhhhh

I wonder when they all learn MONEY can't buy racing and greed destroys it all !!!!!!!?????

20. Collapse Details

The Changing Face of the Powerboat P1 World Championship

Racers and Fans,

As often happens in this sport, speculation and rumors tend to dominate the communications channels, so I believe that it is important to give you as much information as possible from the source.

Today the Powerboat P1 World Championship held a meeting with the European teams outlining a restructuring of the business and the championship platform for the 2010 season in Europe. The meeting detailed changes to the event schedule for the season, and laid out a direction for the future growth of the sport.

Asif Rangoonwala, Chairman of Powerboat P1 Management, arranged the meeting and flew in the teams for what was described as a Teams “Extraordinary” Meeting. Eighteen race team members were present in London for the announcement, and the subsequent discussion session. There they learned the details and reasoning for the re-direction of resources, stemming largely from internal and external economic circumstances. Rangoonwala cited issues with the general economic climate worldwide, event promoter contractual commitments, and the commitments of some teams.

“I am fully committed to continuing the development and growth of the sport, but we need to take a step back before we can take a leap forward,” said Rangoonwala. “We have made an investment of over €30m over the past 7 years, with an additional investment of over €2.2m this year alone. We need a new strategy, and to build the foundation of the business so that it is sustainable with long term stability.”

A key element of that direction and strategy moving forward is the expansion into the North American market, where there are greater commercial and racing opportunities

The simple fact is, the USA and European markets are substantially different, particularly in the marine industry. Europe, a year behind the US, is now experiencing what the US did in 2009. The US also has a great advantage as we have the venues, the racers and the fan base.

The technology of the US manufacturers has revolutionized the sport, and is proven by the competition in both classes for the past several years. Donzi, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette…they are indeed dominant in the sport and have seen their numbers in European sales grow as a result. The US changed the face of European racing and European racing impressed the Americans involved.

From a practical point of view, there are far more offshore racers, fans, and marine manufacturers in the USA, and that makes the Powerboat P1 race model a viable and sustainable platform. That is especially true when the additional Powerboat P1 principles of parity and competition rulesare incorporated.

Powerboat P1 Management will continue to invest in the growth and development of powerboat racing in Europe, and is projected to invest significantly in the USA this year; working toward the plans that we have discussed with teams and organizations for 2011 and beyond.

Powerboat P1 USA will continue to work with teams and organizations to expand the Powerboat P1 race platform, focusing on limited classes, professional teams, and an event format that is world class in nature. It will also work to incorporate the other platforms outlined in the statement provided by Rangoonwala, including SuperStock and Aquabike, providing event producers and organizations opportunities to benefit from multiple disciplines and an ocean-friendly festival format over multiple days.

We look forward to a great season of racing with the SVL class, and hope to be able to incorporate a similar contingency prize program for the twin engine boats as well.

As Asif said in his announcement, “…Powerboat P1 remains fully committed to the Championship.” His statement is supported by the fact that no one in the recent or distant past has ever invested as much in this sport.

Powerboat P1 has a huge stake in the future success of Powerboat racing, and it is going to protect that investment by directing resources where they can have the maximum impact. They are making decisions that have long-term business implications with specific strategic objectives. This is great news for US teams and fans since the US market and direction is pivotal to the overall business objectives.

Don’t let the European announcement dissolution you or dampen your enthusiasm for racing! The Powerboat P1 community is pulling together to address pressing business issues overseas but continues its confidence in the overall sport, the North American market and racers.

I encourage you to read the announcement from Powerboat P1 www.powerboatp1.com, and watch for future updates. We will keep you in the loop and look forward to your continued involvement.

Martin Sanborn
    Director, North American Operations
    Last edited by Martin Sanborn; 04-02-2010 at 12:43 AM.