Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Floriduh.....Castle law gone bad......
    Posted: 6:17 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2010

Post a Comment E-mail Print ShareLarger Type Small Type
    COCOA, Fla. — Authorities say a Florida man who shot four teens accused of trespassing onto his property acted within his rights and will not be charged with a crime.

Cocoa police say Richard Evans told the teens to get off his property, and shot them in belief he was protecting his family against burglars who were possibly armed.

The four suspects were injured and taken to area hospitals for treatment. Evans was shot as well when he set his gun down and it accidentally discharged. None of their injuries are believed to be life threatening.

Charges against the teens are pending.

___

2. Collapse Details

registered
    A 26-year-old homeowner who shot and wounded four suspected teen burglars on his property before he accidentally shot himself Sunday will not face any charges, Cocoa police said today.

The State Attorney's Office determined that Richard Evans "acted within his rights as he protected himself and his family against subjects that he believed to be armed," Officer Barbara Matthews, a spokeswoman for the Cocoa Police Department, said in statement.

He saw four males in ski masks climbing the fence into his yard Sunday after his house on Montclair Road had been burglarized.

"He ordered them to stop and to leave his property. The four continued toward the man, who then fired at them with a shotgun," Matthews said.

Evans shot all four suspects with his shotgun, which then accidentally discharged after he set the weapon down. That's how he got shot in the back.

He and one of the suspects were airlifted to Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne. The other boys were driven by ambulance to Wuesthoff Medical Center in Rockledge.

"All five have been treated," Matthews said. "Evans and one of suspects have serious injuries, but nothing life threatening."

The teens have not been named and their ages were not provided.

But police said the investigation is continuing and pending charges include armed burglary and grand theft.

Police said the juveniles were the same ones responsible for an overnight burglary at his home. The burglars took two handguns, electronics and keys.

"Investigators recovered some of the stolen items from the" homes of the suspects, Matthews said.

3. Collapse Details

registered
    Well, it would seem to me that the castle law worked beautifully, as intended.

He saw four males in ski masks climbing the fence into his yard Sunday after his house on Montclair Road had been burglarized.

"He ordered them to stop and to leave his property. The four continued toward the man, who then fired at them with a shotgun," Matthews said.

"Police said the juveniles were the same ones responsible for an overnight burglary at his home. The burglars took two handguns, electronics and keys."
    After they stole weapons, it's perfectly reasonable to suspect that they could have been armed. Seeing four punks climbing my fence in ski masks (not that it's that cold here), I would have shot the fvckers, too. Good for Evans - except it's too bad that he shot himself, too.

4. Collapse Details

Shot himself in the back with a shot gun?
    Run until it sounds expensive

5. Collapse Details

law worked great.........gun skills a little less great for Evans.....

6. Collapse Details

GUN CONTROL: Hitting what you aim at!

errr - and not yourself.

7. Collapse Details

It's hard to imagine how he could have shot himself in the back. But people have done worse with their own weapons before.

I'd say the kids got a break. Four masked intruders advancing on me and no helo would have been necessary.

8. Collapse Details

Why would you say "Castle law gone bad"? Sounds like it worked perfectly.

The lesson of this story, never set down your shotgun!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    Why would you say "Castle law gone bad"? Sounds like it worked perfectly.

It did. The thread backfired.

Ski masks, advancing after being warned to stop? That's almost word for word what they teach you in conceal & carry class. Those dipchits are lucky they don't have a hole the size of a dinner plate in their chests.

10. Collapse Details

How would castle law work better, other than the phuckers dieing in his yard? I don't think the law has anything to do with the guy shooting himself. I can't figure out how the f he shot himself in the back with a shotgun though. I don't think I could do that if I tried. Maybe his wife did it???

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's hard to imagine how he could have shot himself in the back. But people have done worse with their own weapons before.

I'd say the kids got a break. Four masked intruders advancing on me and no helo would have been necessary.

I guess he leaned it against a table or something and it fell sideways onto the floor, but loaded, cocked, and unsafed? Heck of a way to set a gun down, but I'm sure things were pretty stressful at that point.

There would be no need for medevac from my crib either.....

12. Collapse Details

He left it open to question. I wouldn't have.

Dead men tell no tales. Dead azzwipes leave a lasting impression.
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

13. Collapse Details

Its amazing how things look when the WHOLE truth is printed

14. Collapse Details

I was just being funny in the thread title.........law ok, shooting skills bad.....(bad for 2 reasons, kids lived and he shot himself).

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    I was just being funny in the thread title.........law ok, shooting skills bad.....(bad for 2 reasons, kids lived and he shot himself).
    Technically he didn't shot him self the gun shot him by it self
    Run until it sounds expensive

16. Collapse Details

What I don't understand is why he didn't empty the shotgun on them.

17. Collapse Details

I wonder if Florida's Castle Doctrine law addresses coup de grace shots?

18. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I wonder if Florida's Castle Doctrine law addresses coup de grace shots?
    If properly executed (no pun intended), the only one left to ponder as such should be him to whom belongs the castle.

19. Collapse Details

well this brings new meaning to guns don't shoot people..people shoot people... guess theres an exception to every rule..
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    If properly executed (no pun intended), the only one left to ponder as such should be him to whom belongs the castle.
    Like the old saying:

I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.