Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks Matt Trulio for giving Big Seas "History of Skater DVD" Thumbs Up!
    From. www.speedonthewater.com

DVD Review: The History of Skater
    Written by Matt Trulio
    Tuesday, 01 December 2009 15:07

"Hate to say it, but offshore powerboat racers usually give lousy interviews. They tend to provide general answers—the standard go-to being something about “seat time”—to specific questions. They are often evasive about things that are far from top secret. They occasionally bend the truth. That can make covering the sport in any meaningful, incisive way an exercise in frustration.

The good news? Offshore raceboats in action tell you everything you need to know about what happened and why, and that’s the beauty of “The History of Skater,” the latest DVD release from Big Seas Productions. Sure, you’ve got intelligent, thoughtful narration from Rich Luhrs, a veteran offshore observer and reporter. To his credit, Luhrs keeps the story of Skater catamarans—and their creator Peter Hledin—simple and lets the video tell the tale.

And the video in “The History of Skater,” which is assembled from archival footage, is nothing short of spectacular. That’s not because it’s shot from special angles or full of crashes and deck-to-deck drama. It’s spectacular because Skater catamarans, from the first 24-footer to the dazzling 46-footer are spectacular when they run. There’s a commonality in the way they dance on the water—pardon the flowery language—that says they could be nothing other than Skaters.

Offshore history lovers will find much to love about this DVD, from the hubris of racer Stuart Hayim saying, “I challenged Peter to take something good and make it great” to the cagey “yes” and “no” answers from a grinning Joe Mach, another noteworthy Skater racer, in an interview with Luhrs."

Matt - Darren spent many hours putting it together and he is very proud of this piece. Peter Hledin was also very complementary when he reviewed the DVD himself.

For more info from Speed On The Water: www.speedonthewater.com
    For more info from Bigs Seas: www.big-seas.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HistorySkater1.jpg   HistorySkater2.jpg   HistorySkater3.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Great DVD Dave!

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Good call Dave........ and let me also give my best wishes to Matt (and all of the other fruits and nuts in California) for a very Merry Christmas and a successful New Year.

T2x..............
    Allergic to Nonsense

4. Collapse Details

Just ordered it through HORBA to expand my knowledge of Skater! Now that I think of it I should of gotten two to bookend my HUGE MTI DVD Collection!
    http://www.historicraceboats.com/dvds.htm#skater

BTW Rich "The History Of Skater" is not listed on the Amazon site.

5. Collapse Details

I am looking forward to watching and reviewing "The History of Apache." Maybe it will help me understand why people seem to froth at the mouth when the name comes up.

T2X ... I'm beginning to get the feeling you think California would be great if we could just get rid of all those pesky Californians. Merry Christmas to you, too, my friend.

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Just ordered it through HORBA to expand my knowledge of Skater! Now that I think of it I should of gotten two to bookend my HUGE MTI DVD Collection!
    http://www.historicraceboats.com/dvds.htm#skater

BTW Rich "The History Of Skater" is not listed on the Amazon site.
    Dave P. Has been struggling with the Amazon site for the past couple of weeks.....

Obviously it still needs some work.

Thanks,
    Allergic to Nonsense

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    I am looking forward to watching and reviewing "The History of Apache." Maybe it will help me understand why people seem to froth at the mouth when the name comes up.

T2X ... I'm beginning to get the feeling you think California would be great if we could just get rid of all those pesky Californians. Merry Christmas to you, too, my friend.
    Actually I just bought some future ocean front property.......in Nevada.

Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Matt , sure brings back memories of when i worked at Skater and seeing those pics , especially Kevin Browns 32 Team Skater .

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I just watched it yesterday.

Just one complaint: it's too short!

10. Collapse Details

Thanks, Offshore Ginger. I liked it, too. A lot.

For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that a guy with screen name of ApachePete would find the Apache video too short.

I am going to watch it tomorrow. High expectations, thanks to the Skater video.

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    Pretty sure that the Team Skater pictured above was Ed Coyler's not Kevin Brown's. If I remember correctly KB's boats were blue and orange....
    Ryan Beckley

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Great DVD Dave!
    +1

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Just curious guys seeing that i have not seen the DVD yet is there any footage of Tom Slamecca's 32 that was lengthened ?

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    Pretty sure that the Team Skater pictured above was Ed Coyler's not Kevin Brown's. If I remember correctly KB's boats were blue and orange....
    Ryan your right,now that you mentioned it .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 12-17-2009 at 11:23 AM.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Just curious guys seeing that i have not seen the DVD yet is there any footage of Tom Slamecca's 32 that was lengthened ?
    Didn't that thing "explode" in a stuff? I was in the helicopter right next to it when it happened......

Who modified that boat....and why?
    Allergic to Nonsense

16. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    It was lengthed to 35 feet at the stern...to allow it to run the 500CID motors back in the open class days anything under 35 feet had to run small blocks. That accident was in Marathon.
    Ryan Beckley

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Didn't that thing "explode" in a stuff? I was in the helicopter right next to it when it happened......

Who modified that boat....and why?
    Tom's crew did it at Skater and Ryan answered the rest .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 12-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Tom's crew did it at Skater and Ryan answered the rest .

Was this done with Peter's blessing? I knew about the Open Class length issue(We faced it ourselves when it was raised after the introduction of the Shadow Cat), but as I recall there was some controversy over the wisdom of stretching that particular boat.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Was this done with Peter's blessing? I knew about the Open Class length issue(We faced it ourselves when it was raised after the introduction of the Shadow Cat), but as I recall there was some controversy over the wisdom of stretching that particular boat.

T2x
    Good question and i do remember the contoversy but to tell you the truth it's been so long that i just cant remember and like i stated in a previous post Tom's crew did most of the work with the exception of the lamination along with redoing (stretching ) the boat at Douglas Marine .

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Thanks, Offshore Ginger. I liked it, too. A lot.

For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that a guy with screen name of ApachePete would find the Apache video too short.

I am going to watch it tomorrow. High expectations, thanks to the Skater video.
    I meant the the SKATER video is too short!