Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    You run Class 1 right? Not PX?
    currently i run keyboard-class. it's quite in-expensive and and i can give myself my own checkered flags ???????

honestly i think PX has hurt the sport more than anything and that the current speed of close too 200 mph are going to bite offshore in the azz sooner or later. there was a reason that they had 150 mph rule.

no-offense to the spec guys but as we've seen theres no consistancy between the orgs which makes tech even more difficult.

someone need to build a mobile dyno that can hookup at the prop shaft, then run hp to weight class and use a handicap system for those with more technologicly advance boats. for instance we all know that the new 388 skaters are faster than its older cousins like whm's 40 (hull to hull comparison) so even with equal hp the 388's are faster and the 40 should get something to help make it more competive. agian like sweetdude stated, the reality of offshore is that its club racing and need to be fun and fair. or else no one new is going to come and play. this to me is the problem with spec class racing its really for fun and those with alot of money are going to be able to keep buying new boats and spend money to be #1. this takes the fun out of it and the others leave. kinda of like the current mess

2. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    currently i run keyboard-class. it's quite in-expensive and and i can give myself my own checkered flags ???????

honestly i think PX has hurt the sport more than anything and that the current speed of close too 200 mph are going to bite offshore in the azz sooner or later. there was a reason that they had 150 mph rule.

no-offense to the spec guys but as we've seen theres no consistancy between the orgs which makes tech even more difficult.

someone need to build a mobile dyno that can hookup at the prop shaft, then run hp to weight class and use a handicap system for those with more technologicly advance boats. for instance we all know that the new 388 skaters are faster than its older cousins like whm's 40 (hull to hull comparison) so even with equal hp the 388's are faster and the 40 should get something to help make it more competive. agian like sweetdude stated, the reality of offshore is that its club racing and need to be fun and fair. or else no one new is going to come and play. this to me is the problem with spec class racing its really for fun and those with alot of money are going to be able to keep buying new boats and spend money to be #1. this takes the fun out of it and the others leave. kinda of like the current mess
    i don.t about that svl are all old a boats 8 or 9 years old and all run withen 1 mph of each other it has come down to set up a the racees

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    i don.t about that svl are all old a boats 8 or 9 years old and all run withen 1 mph of each other it has come down to set up a the racees
    The same is true for Outboard Cat, Cat Light, and OPA Super Vee.

Those four classes have no issues when it comes to racers racing. Only the short, smooth courses make it a sprint to the first corner with the winner usually the first one around it claiming lane one.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The same is true for Outboard Cat, Cat Light, and OPA Super Vee.

Those four classes have no issues when it comes to racers racing. Only the short, smooth courses make it a sprint to the first corner with the winner usually the first one around it claiming lane one.
    yea but currently theres not enough boats in any one of these classes to stand alone. so the question is, it better to have 3-4 seperate races of 2-4 boats going on at once or find a way to put them all together in one class. if your goal is to better the overall racing to put on a show it would be the later. if you wanna better your chances at winning than run the seperate races like the current situation. the problem with this is no one outside of those related to the teams has any idea of whos winning and are there to drink beer. thus making it more difficult to bring offshore racing mainstream

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post

Dave, I agree with some of what you say but, disagree with your view on spec racing. You can break it down even more. Spec like when any engine within a set of guidelines is they type that often gets expensive and is the most involved to tech. On the other hand spec sealed is one of the less expensive way to race and offers good competition in a few classes. A SVL can race all season spending about as much as some spend on race fuel and one rebuild. It is also one of the few classes that is available in all orgs presently.

I appreciate your love for bracket classes and agree it works well but, it is not the answer for everyone.

This discussion was brought up to discuss SBI P classes. Do you have ANY intention of participating with them?
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-15-2009 at 10:44 PM.