Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Talk about your quitters
    Mel Martinez wants to step down, after saying for months that he wouldn't. Scuttlebut was that he and Charlie Crist were going to change jobs, but they have both fallen out of favor with the voters.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...2&provider=rss

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    Mel Martinez wants to step down, after saying for months that he wouldn't. Scuttlebut was that he and Charlie Crist were going to change jobs, but they have both fallen out of favor with the voters.

The disgusting part, these guys and gals get to keep their wages for the rest of their lives with Cost of Living Increases.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details
    Those Nutty Republicans
    Banned

Scuttlebut? What's that- those voices in your head?
    That's a real smart place to get information of any kind.

From Simon Rosenberg:

Perhaps no figure in the country has been more on the frontlines of the rising anti-Hispanic rhetoric in the Republican Party than Senator Mel Martinez. His political ascendency was engineered by Bush and Rove as part of their early - and successful - effort to increase Republican market share with Latinos. He was placed in the Bush Cabinet, and then backed by the Bush machine heavily in both the GOP primary and the Senate general election in Florida in 2004, as a way of helping create a national Republican Hispanic leader and to help Bush in a state they no doubt considered essential - given what happened in 2000 - in their 2004 re-election.

After the disasterous 2006 elections, the Bush White House made clear what worried them most by their defeat by appointing Senator Martinez the Chair of the RNC. The Hispanic vote which had gone from 21% in 1996 to 35% in 2000 to 40% in 2004 had - because of the anti Hispanic rhetoric of the immigration debate in 2005-2006 - dropped all the way down to 30% for the GOP in 2006. Martinez, who was the sharp edge of the Rovian Hispanic spear, was deployed to help reverse what was clearly a dangerous development for the GOP - the profound alientation of the fastest-growing, and perhaps most strategically placed, part of the American electorate.

When he was picked to be RNC Chair I predicted Senator Martinez would not last, that the national GOP so long so reactionary on matters of race, would simply not accept a bi-lingual Hispanic immigrant as their Chair. He lasted till the fall of 2007, overseeing among other things the sight of John McCain going from champion of immigration reform and Hispanics to opponent - all in order to appease the unappeasable anti-immigrant fringe of the Republican Party. To be clear after leading the GOP for less than a year Senator Martinez felt he could no longer do the job and walked away.

From kos:

You can almost sense Martinez' slow realization that his party is fundamentally hostile to brown people -- from ditching the RNC gig early, to announcing his retirement of a seat he likely would've held easily, to just up and pulling a Palin before his term was up. And that he did so the day after casting his vote for Sonia Sotomayor is particularly interesting.

4. Collapse Details

cut and pastacular , tune in next week for an original thought (we know that won't happen)
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    cut and pastacular , tune in next week for an original thought (we know that won't happen)
    Yes, an original though by him would be a first.

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Here's my original thought:

He announced he wasn't seeking re-election shortly after Obama won the election and had a meeting with him. I'm sure there were strong arm Obama tactics there just like others have complained about. Because he was a Hispanic, and not a career politician, he felt more strongly about what was right and wrong

He stuck around long enough to see what was happening to the country, vote for Sotomayor a judge who was originally appointed by a Republican President, then quit.

I'm almost sure he feels he can do more to assist Latino's outside of this current regime than from within it. They are doing everything they possibly can to repress all possible and make everyone dependant on the government to exist.

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    just tryin to add some facts to the discussion instead of the neanderthal musings from some who have everything all figgered out. keep on shooting the messenger, it's so helpful to the discussion.

the repubs have a serious problem with latino voters, Martinez' resignation does not help it.

some more facts for ya (from aug 6):

Republican Party approval rating among Latinos

April 27-30 August 3-6

Favorable 14 --- 3
    Unfavorable 73 --- 86
    No Opinion 13 --- 11

The first column is the week that Justice Souter retired, which was soon followed by speculation of Sotomayor's nomination (she was the frontrunner). That is the reference week. The second is this week.

Republicans were already lagging badly with Latinos, yet somehow, they managed to lose a net 24 favorability points over the course of three months. And for what? To keep the dying 1950s Pat Buchanan-wing of the party happy? Great call, there.
    Last edited by jayboat; 08-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post
    just tryin to add some facts to the discussion
    For the record.... your "voices in your head" comment was not factual. Unless you have proof that Cuda actually has voices in his head, and you can back it up without violating his HIPAA, then it was a personal slam against Cuda and was inappropriate. It added nothing to the discussion save your disdain for Cuda, which is already established elsewhere.

If you want to be treated with respect and fairness.... endeavor to play by the rules.... regardless of your current and past personal grudges.

Disagree with the post, do not attack the poster.

Thanks.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post
    just tryin to add some facts to the discussion instead of the neanderthal musings from some who have everything all figgered out. keep on shooting the messenger, it's so helpful to the discussion.

the repubs have a serious problem with latino voters, Martinez' resignation does not help it.

some more facts for ya (from aug 6):

Republican Party approval rating among Latinos

April 27-30 August 3-6

Favorable 14 --- 3
    Unfavorable 73 --- 86
    No Opinion 13 --- 11

The first column is the week that Justice Souter retired, which was soon followed by speculation of Sotomayor's nomination (she was the frontrunner). That is the reference week. The second is this week.

Republicans were already lagging badly with Latinos, yet somehow, they managed to lose a net 24 favorability points over the course of three months. And for what? To keep the dying 1950s Pat Buchanan-wing of the party happy? Great call, there.
    keep the filter on your camera on not on the real world.
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    For the record.... your "voices in your head" comment was not factual. Unless you have proof that Cuda actually has voices in his head, and you can back it up without violating his HIPAA, then it was a personal slam against Cuda and was inappropriate. It added nothing to the discussion save your disdain for Cuda, which is already established elsewhere.

If you want to be treated with respect and fairness.... endeavor to play by the rules.... regardless of your current and past personal grudges.

Disagree with the post, do not attack the poster.

Thanks.
    I don't understand him anyway. He reminds me of a woman. They have half the money, and all the puzzy, and they are still mad. Jay's boy is in the Whitehouse, and he's still mad.

11. Collapse Details

I don't understand him anyway. He reminds me of a woman. They have half the money, and all the puzzy, and they are still mad. Jay's boy is in the Whitehouse, and he's still mad.
    Parabellum FJ²B

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Last edited by jayboat; 08-09-2009 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Inappropriate.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Do you guys possibly think we're all mad at the same thing?????

Career politicians who use us, (working people), for their power grab schemes.

Just because 3/4 of the population wanted a change from the Bush crap, doesn't mean they like what they got.

As far as Jay, he's a damn good debater when he keeps cool.

So are most of the people on here. But, when a person's goat is got, not always so true.

14. Collapse Details

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    For debate, which is worse?

Spectre changing parties and supposed principles, or Martinez and Palin quitting?

They all made promises to get elected, they all broke those promises.

16. Collapse Details

You and he have had past disputes. I have had past disputes too.

But this is a more interesting place when we keep our wits about us and not allow anger to cause us to make personal attacks at people.

I only mentioned anything to Jay because he positioned himself as just interested in the facts, and clearly his comments to you were from a different place.

It is hard to maintain objectivity and decorum when someone has caused another to be personally offended. So... I am trying not to take things personally.... especially incorrect things. It can be hard not to defend yourself against utter bullchit. And... I am trying to keep debates on point and off of personal poking. I am not a moderator out here, and I am not picking on Jay.

Jay and I have had some debates unravel into chaos about as much as can be, so... I am certainly not positioning myself as anything other than a guy who is trying to stay aware of these things in my own posts.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    For debate, which is worse?

Spectre changing parties and supposed principles, or Martinez and Palin quitting?

They all made promises to get elected, they all broke those promises.
    By a slight margin... changing parties is slightly less bad than quitting, to me anyway. If a liberal became a conservative, I would call it enlightenment.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Do you guys possibly think we're all mad at the same thing?????

Career politicians who use us, (working people), for their power grab schemes.

Just because 3/4 of the population wanted a change from the Bush crap, doesn't mean they like what they got.

As far as Jay, he's a damn good debater when he keeps cool.

So are most of the people on here. But, when a person's goat is got, not always so true.
    I don't consider him a good debater at all. All he does is cut and paste, then use his favorite buzz word for the week. I don't think he was ever the president of his debate club.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    If a liberal became a conservative, I would call it enlightenment.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I don't consider him a good debater at all. All he does is cut and paste, then use his favorite buzz word for the week. I don't think he was ever the president of his debate club.
    I disagree, I think you're thinking of that Cat dude.....

And no matter what anybody cuts and pastes, if they took the time to read it, edit it down to the points they agree with, then it's a quote for discussion. I really have no problem with that. Saves me reading and researching things.

Many people a lot smarter than me have expressed the opinion that if you don't understand the side opposing, you don't deserve to oppose.