1. Collapse Details
    Dog shopping...........
    Wife and kids are driving me nuts about a dog. We haven't had one in about 7 years (kids born, too small for big dogs). We came across a shelter RV at a ballpark trying to get some dogs adopted. I have never had an official shelter/humane society pet before. We visited 3 today, two are kill facility and one is a no kill all in the West Palm Beach, FL area. I was shocked to see that 75% of the big dogs were Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes. From mean and nasty junk yard variety to "Spot" from the Little Rascals to 5 week old puppies. If the shelters didn't take Pits they wouldn't have any big dogs.

Needless to say, we aren't up to the task of a shelter dog at this point. Many nice dogs but not what I want between age/ breed/ health issues. I want to do this one time, dog lives 10+ years and when he/she dies then I don't replace since my kids will be grown by then. My wife says I'm too cynical.....CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

I think a pure bred Doberman will be in the cards at some point.....

2. Collapse Details

avoid wiermieners....unless yu want to spend all your time with it... they are smart dogs and have major sepeation anxiety..you go to work and they get creative....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Wife and kids are driving me nuts about a dog. We haven't had one in about 7 years (kids born, too small for big dogs). We came across a shelter RV at a ballpark trying to get some dogs adopted. I have never had an official shelter/humane society pet before. We visited 3 today, two are kill facility and one is a no kill all in the West Palm Beach, FL area. I was shocked to see that 75% of the big dogs were Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes. From mean and nasty junk yard variety to "Spot" from the Little Rascals to 5 week old puppies. If the shelters didn't take Pits they wouldn't have any big dogs.

Needless to say, we aren't up to the task of a shelter dog at this point. Many nice dogs but not what I want between age/ breed/ health issues. I want to do this one time, dog lives 10+ years and when he/she dies then I don't replace since my kids will be grown by then. My wife says I'm too cynical.....CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

So what do you want in a dog? Thats an important question to ask yourself. Let me suggest this go to petfinder.com My ex is the county director of animal control and runs one of the only true no kill shelters in the country.

make a list of the traits your looking for and the traits your not. give this some serious thought this is a way more improtant decision that the next car your going to buy so make sure you do your homework

4. Collapse Details

Check your home owners insurance policy, some breeds are excluded from coverage.
    Run until it sounds expensive

5. Collapse Details

I think you'd be missing out. Look around a little more, and you may just run into the perfect dog. Dogs from breeders, and a lot of pure breds are far from perfect. Definitely check out pet finder, and check out all the rescues in the area. A lot of them will help get the right dog to you.

6. Collapse Details

you want an easy dog that isn't annoying ?

We have a Basenji

It is almost sheadless and it is barkless

only way i would have a dog in the house is for it to be quiet and clean

I hate hair all over and I get real irritated over endless barking from dogs that just like to hear themselfs make noise

Our dog fits the bill No barking is great !!!!

Pictures are of our dog with my wife amd dog with my son
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030520.jpg   P1030972.jpg   P1060672.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Get a Shar-Pei & put a thong on it's head!!! Cool dogs!! My 3rd!! 60 lbs, short hair!! good watch dog!! but "SERIOUSLY" good luck!!

8. Collapse Details

I had a Doberman for 14 years, love the breed but I am short on patience for dogs that eat table food, jump on people/furniture etc. so I am reluctant to inherit someone else's training hence my puppy concept.

Mark a very good friend had a Basenji, very cool dog. They unfortunately tried to have it and a Jack Russell at the same time, not a good combo. The Basenji was the new dog and the JR got to stay, the new dog was sold.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    Check your home owners insurance policy, some breeds are excluded from coverage.
    Lots of breeds are excluded or if they are accepted, surcharged.......

10. Collapse Details

The Basenji is a perfect example of why you should investigate the breed before you buy it. If you want a dog to lazily lay at your feet while you read the paper, that's not the breed. The no bark/no shed sometimes causes people to overlook the fact that they're an very active dog. And if that person is a 450 lb couch potato, neither they nor the dog will be very happy with the relationship. But it's a great dog for a young family that's active and around alot.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The Basenji is a perfect example of why you should investigate the breed before you buy it. If you want a dog to lazily lay at your feet while you read the paper, that's not the breed. The no bark/no shed sometimes causes people to overlook the fact that they're an very active dog. And if that person is a 450 lb couch potato, neither they nor the dog will be very happy with the relationship. But it's a great dog for a young family that's active and around alot.
    Chris,

Either you have had some hyper dogs or we have been lucky

This is our second Basenji since i have been with my wife and she has had many before i knew her

The two we have had were not high energy dogs they have been pretty docile

My wife is getting her masters degree and all the dog does is sit at her feet when she studies The only real annoying thing about the dog is it follows you werever you go in the house, he hates to be left alone

My wife has had Jack Russles before as well Now ther is a hyper dog

12. Collapse Details

We have always have labs. The are amazing dogs. They are lazy, but can also be active. They like to play, but sleep all the time. Most of the time when we leave the house, they do not get off the bed, they sleep all day. Ours spend a lot of time in the car, and are great travellers. They come to our cottage with us every weekend. Ours get absolutely no table food, so when dinner rolls around they just lay under the table, however they are still labs so you cannot leave food on the floor, or it will be gone. All in all though, they are great dogs. But truthfully, a dog is a large part what you train it to be, if you let it go wild, you will have a wild dog, if you train them well, then they are a joy. But like the others said, there are a lot of good dogs in shelters, i know various people who have gotten dogs from shelters and they are great animals.

13. Collapse Details

You can't beat a lab!!! They are only as lazy as their masters!!! I'm on my 3rd. Great with kids, want to do everything you do. Mine waits by the truck, waits by the boat, waits for us to do anything or go anywhere. They truley become a member of the family.

drpete3 makes a great point. Decide what you want in a dog. Do research before you bring one home. A cute face doesn't last long when the couch disappears!

14. Collapse Details

boatme, My vet was very instrumental in bringing Basenji's to the states years ago from Africa.

JS, like others have said. You need to decide what you want the dog for. We have a lab because we have 2 kids and didn't want an aggressive breed. We take her to the lake every weekend with us also. She loves the water and travels well in the car. She sheds like crazy and we only feed her dog food. Funny Perlmudder...ours lays under the table when we eat also.

15. Collapse Details

I had a Doberman for 14 years, love the breed but I am short on patience for dogs that eat table food, jump on people/furniture etc. so I am reluctant to inherit someone else's training hence my puppy concept.

Ok I am picking on you a little here. But i am afraid to say you are not the best dog trainer. you can teach a doberman to not beg and counter surf. i understand that you dont want to inherit problems that someone else may have started but if you go to these shelters a little and get to know somone there a little bit they will help you find a dog thats good for you. you just need to be a ble to describle to them what you want. My ex was is very good at pairing up dogs with owners.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    Ok I am picking on you a little here. But i am afraid to say you are not the best dog trainer. you can teach a doberman to not beg and counter surf. i understand that you dont want to inherit problems that someone else may have started but if you go to these shelters a little and get to know somone there a little bit they will help you find a dog thats good for you. you just need to be a ble to describle to them what you want. My ex was is very good at pairing up dogs with owners.
    I get that but in the back of my mind the shelter personnel at the end of the day still want as many dogs adopted as possible.....

My sister is a dog destroyer.....she has had two great dogs that she has turned into kids. Kids that sleep in her bed, stare/drool as you eat dinner, won't go out in inclement weather, won't bark even when someone is ringing the doorbell. She has a Doberman that is about as alert/agressive as a quadrepelegic!

I had a Doberman for 14 years that was great. In the beginning she was a little hard on the shoe collection but the dog never snatched food off the table, was awesome with kids and would put the show on when the doorbell rang. She was small, 55-60 lbs but the door to door solicitors would just back away and leave!

17. Collapse Details

Hey JS, there are some great Dobe rescues around.

Mainly they end up with show dogs that are retired Champions. Or, alternately, pets from show litters that have a flaw(wrong paw color, wrong tooth pattern,etc). If you still want a puppy purebred, Amanda still has great Breeder connections and has shown for a number of Dobe breeders.

She lives the PBG and would be glad to give/get you a reference.
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

18. Collapse Details

I get that but in the back of my mind the shelter personnel at the end of the day still want as many dogs adopted as possible.....

My sister is a dog destroyer.....she has had two great dogs that she has turned into kids. Kids that sleep in her bed, stare/drool as you eat dinner, won't go out in inclement weather, won't bark even when someone is ringing the doorbell. She has a Doberman that is about as alert/agressive as a quadrepelegic!

I had a Doberman for 14 years that was great. In the beginning she was a little hard on the shoe collection but the dog never snatched food off the table, was awesome with kids and would put the show on when the doorbell rang. She was small, 55-60 lbs but the door to door solicitors would just back away and leave!
    this is true

If you only lived closer I am sure my ex would get you a great dog but then also tell you to buy a couple books and give you infor on how to keep a great dog and make him/her how you want it. I bet for the most part your sister likes her dogs this way. Its just that visitors may not. We over think when we are teaching our dogs.

19. Collapse Details

It's not always true that they are trying to unload dogs, a good rescue will match you to a dog. They don't want somebody to be "unhappy" and have the dog come back or ultimately be dropped off in a kill shelter. There are a lot of great dogs that end up at these places (also plenty of bad, abused & neglected ones).

Take your time and find the right dog. Call the shelter or rescues and ask a lot of questions. You will be able to quickly tell who are just dumping dogs, and who cares that their dogs go to the right homes. A lot of the dogs that end up in shelters are from people that didn't take time to find the right dog.

Good luck to you. My wifes retired mom volunteers for a rescue group down north of Tampa. If you would want, or it would be any help, I could give you her number to find out more.

Good luck