Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Any pics of it Artie?
    Or was that a time before cameras? haha!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    My very first boat that i purchased was a 1949 Chris Craft , Mahogany 17' Ft Special Runabout , which i still wish i had today because of all the fond memories ( fun ) my Wife , and i had running the Saginaw River many years ago .................................Wow .
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Any pics of it Artie?
    Or was that a time before cameras? haha!
    Ouch, that's gonna hurt a bit.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Ouch, that's gonna hurt a bit.......
    That's why I put the smilie there

Seriously, I'd love to see pics of it.
    I love the classic mahogany Chris-Crafts.

4. Collapse Details

Actually i have owned more then my share of wooden boats in the past considering Fiberglass repair was soon becoming my bread and butter opposed to doing wooden boats which was taking a downward turn due to maintenace alone . I have owned a 1950 Chris 17 Sportsman Utlity , 1947 Chris 16 Special Runabout , 1955 Chris 18 Holiday , 1958 Chris 21 Continental , 1950 19 Chris Racing runabout, 1949 Chris 16 special runabout ( painted hull ) that was decked over , and a few Century's one being a 1948 16 foot Deluxe Utlity with a painted cedar hull which actually was a favorite of mine and the one that i am presently working on which is a 16 foot Century Resorter , and yes i do have pics .

5. Collapse Details

Actually i have owned more then my share of wooden boats in the past considering Fiberglass repair was soon becoming my bread and butter opposed to doing wooden boats which was taking a downward turn due to maintenace alone . I have owned a 1950 Chris 17 Sportsman Utlity , 1947 Chris 16 Special Runabout , 1955 Chris 18 Holiday , 1958 Chris 21 Continental , 1950 19 Chris Racing runabout, 1949 Chris 16 special runabout ( painted hull ) that was decked over , and a few Century's one being a 1948 16 foot Deluxe Utlity with a painted cedar hull which actually was a favorite of mine and the one that i am presently working on which is a 16 foot Century Resorter , and yes i do have pics .
    OK, do I even have to say it...?

6. Collapse Details

OK, do I even have to say it...?
    No you do not but ..................when it comes to posting pics that are many years old 40 plus ....................i am clueless .

7. Collapse Details

Do you have access to a scanner?
    My pics were all scanned from old 35mm photos.

8. Collapse Details

Do you have access to a scanner?
    My pics were all scanned from old 35mm photos.
    With that suggestion in mind i will see what i can do considering they did not even make Cameras back then .......................Ha Ha Ha

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    This is a tough one for me, because I had way too many "first" boats. It's almost like explaining who was your first girlfriend......

Real first boat, my Dad gave my brother and I a 10' green fiberglass fishing boat. It must have weighed about a hundred pounds and it had a 3hp, really old, Johnson. Would only plne out if my brother, or I, sat way out on the bow and hit a wave perfectly. So we got a 5 1/2 Evinrude. Made it plane out no problem. That worked so well we "borrowed" one of my grandfathers 18 Johnson's. It was a wonder we didn't die! But it stayed together and we knew speedboating was in our future.

My second "first" boat was a kneebanger hydro. Raced a couple seasons at contests I had time to go to. But I never really got into it bigtime because I was also racing motocross, desert, and road on motorcycles. That was pretty much full time for spare time. The hydro race would have to be really close and nothing else going on.

Then, my third "first" boat was a 15 1/2 Glastron Carlson with a 115 Evinrude. Day after the Bond movie came out I had to have one. Anyway, ran that one all over the Willamette and Columbia Rivers, plus many of the reservoirs in Oregon and Washington. Got beat by a StarCraft, which I'll never forget because it was a performance model fiberglass boat, not aluminum. So, traded the 115 off on a 235. That Glastron was a handful then.

Favorite near death experience in that boat. We used to wake jump, (we had no bayous in Oregon and Washington to do a real Bond), and at around 45 to 50, if you hit the big cruiser wakes just right at the back of the transom where the first big roller came off you could really fly. Well, for some dumbazz reason, a friend and I were out and the perfect wake jump cruiser was a 70 Tolley Yachtfisher. One was out, people were all over the place, and I decided wide-open was a good idea. I will always remember the look on the guys face driving the Tolley when we went by looking down at him. We landed on the transom, buried about half the boat underwater it seemed, I was so shocked at how high we had been I never backed off the throttle. The engine kept running, went jumped back out from the water. Both seats were broken off their mounts and the footpad board dealie was broken off. Other than that, no issues. That's the boat I really call my first boat.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    With that suggestion in mind i will see what i can do considering they did not even make Cameras back then .......................Ha Ha Ha
    Scan the charcoal sketches on the cave wall...

11. Collapse Details

The Chris Craft of Altamira.

12. Collapse Details

Charcoal sketches Hell no.............mine were done using a stone chisel on the cave wall .

13. Collapse Details

Speaking of wake jumping. We had a car ferry terminal near my house. So Id go and jump BC Ferry wakes. I'm surprised I survived that they tossed a pretty big wake. One of these:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_West_in_Active_Pass.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	76658

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    One time they were doing some kind of maneuvers or tests with a couple destroyers in the sound. I decided to go play with them. You talk about a wake! Thought I was gonna break the boat in half.