Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

At Mar Del Plata - helicopters were hard to find - I finally found one that was really not suitable for fliming, no power, very small - think it was a Hiller non turbo too. My Pilot would not fly out of sight of land - the wind was howling - waves were very steep - boats would climb up on side of a huge wave, and run down the other side - I watched Billy Martin mix his brew along with Harry Willman and Bob Idoni - There was actually more fun in non race activities too. I remember the Hotel on the high clift - high ceilings - really old school - elegant in the day - What a view from there - to see the city of Mar Del Plata, and the surf breaking way offshore. I am sure those who were there would remember the "kids" in uniform with their Rifles at the ready all around the Submarine Base too- I remember back at the hotel hearing Betty Cook say - " I will make sure they never have another race here if Billy Elswick is not found" - I am sure many others who where there will also bring back memories of Mar Del Plata - - um... maybe the most unique was when flying back to Buenos Aires, the aircraft was pre-loaded with a bunch of school kids - two to a seat - so when general boarding started it was a free for all - many never found seats and stood in the asile for the entire flight - Again, we were not in the USA - ! but it was Fun !

Phil

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was that the 1978 race Phil?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bushmils Mar Del Plata.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	73083
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Was that the 1978 race Phil?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bushmils Mar Del Plata.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	73083
    The photo you are showing was the very next race on the schedule, the 1979 Bushmills race out of Newport Beach, California. That picture shows the start of the Bushmills, with ...close to far....Bill Elswick in Long Shot, his new 39 foot Cigarette. Bobby Saccenti and Jerry Jacoby in AJAC HAWK, the new 37.6 Cigarette we spoke of in our stories. Next is Betty Cook and John Connors in KAAMA, her 38 foot Scarab by Larry Smith. I am next with my 38 foot banana boat, Top Banana. The race was 205 miles long and I ended up winning it with Top Banana, then AJAC HAWK second and Betty in KAAMA third.

Three months earlier, December 1978 was the race in Argentina that Phil and I were telling the stories about.

Both the Argentina race and the Bushmills race, are on video taken by Phil at the time..... on my website for anyone interested...even the making of the Rocket Fuel by Billy is on the video.....at..... www.bananaboatco.com

Phil starts the tape by calmly describing the waters that morning as running about 10 to 12 feet and the winds would pick up in the afternoon. The guy in the yellow t-shirt in Argentina is me interviewing an "Argentinian taxi driver" who was actually John Crouse. You can see the strength of the winds on Betty trying to stand there and not get moved around.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!