1. Collapse Details
    Any 3 phase generator gurus in the house?
    I'm currently running a 500KVA transformer and possibly looking to replace it with a generator (which I know absolutly nothing about). Anybody have a crash course in generator 101?

2. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Thats 600A @ 480V. The actual connected load will be less. Is this for an entire service? You would be looking at a service upgrade with a Service Rated transfer switch. You said replace the transformer. If your not looking for emergency standby power, you'd need a genset rated for Prime Power.

I'd get in touch with a tech at Onan and discuss your needs with them. http://www.cumminsonan.com/
    •_•_•____•_•_•

3. Collapse Details

The long and short of it is that I run an asphalt plant, and our local electric Co Op has renigged on an eleven year verbal agreement and is now charging me $2200-$2500 per month for ZERO usage during the winter months. I'm trying to figure out if the cost to buy, install and run a generator is going to offset the roughly ten grand per year cost that I'm going to have to pay for absolutly nothing.

4. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The long and short of it is that I run an asphalt plant, and our local electric Co Op has renigged on an eleven year verbal agreement and is now charging me $2200-$2500 per month for ZERO usage during the winter months. I'm trying to figure out if the cost to buy, install and run a generator is going to offset the roughly ten grand per year cost that I'm going to have to pay for absolutly nothing.
    I'd say no. The initial investment will be quite large, then the cost of fuel and routine maintenance....I'd suggest contacting your local TV stations and have them do a report on the fleecing you are getting. If that doesn't help, perhaps you can contact your senator or congressman and see if they can find out why you are being charged ridiculous fees for no use during the off season.
    •_•_•____•_•_•

5. Collapse Details

That is crazy they charge you for zero usage.
    Where in Ohio are you?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bajacleveland View Post
    That is crazy they charge you for zero usage.
    Where in Ohio are you?
    I'm pretty sure Tony is "in the middle of nowhere" Ohio (central state).
    Nice place to live if you know how to adapt to not having a grocery within 15 miles.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

7. Collapse Details

Ok, no generator. How about this.

If it's based on minimum usage and not a straight fee...get a solar panel installed and connect it to the grid so you can sell power back to them. Then connect the service to draw the minimum usage to the grid and sell it back.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Ok, no generator. How about this.

If it's based on minimum usage and not a straight fee...get a solar panel installed and connect it to the grid so you can sell power back to them. Then connect the service to draw the minimum usage to the grid and sell it back.
    don't loose any sleep on that hap'n'n Bubba

9. Collapse Details

Hey, I'm just trying to save another married person from spending over ten grand a year on something that they don't use.

10. Collapse Details

Ouch !
    Parabellum FJ²B

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Hey Tony, this is off topic but not a derail. Do you have any dust collection cartridge or bag houses at the asphalt plant??

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I'd suggest contacting your local TV stations and have them do a report on the fleecing you are getting. If that doesn't help, perhaps you can contact your senator or congressman and see if they can find out why you are being charged ridiculous fees for no use during the off season.
    The thought has crossed my mind, just trying to look at it from all angles before I start ruffling feathers.

Donna, yes I have a baghouse, in fact I just installed a newly refurbished unit last spring.

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Tony that's exactly the kind of filters I sell, let me know when you need to replace the bags and I will get you a smokin deal

http://thefiltergroup.com/

14. Collapse Details

We use a pre singed Nomex (forget the oz.) Normally I deal with National Filter Media. Do you sell diffuser cones, cages, solenoids, or diaphrams?