1. Collapse Details
    Mooring Whips?????
    Does anyone use mooring whips for thier smaller boats? I have a 20' Mastercraft I plan on keeping on the dock, and was looking at the differnt mooring whips available. I plan on purchasing whips with a 5000# capacity. There are several differnt brands, and I was wondering what experience other members have had. They will be used on salt water.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Collapse Details

Anybody use whips?

3. Collapse Details

afraid to answer that one........
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

4. Collapse Details

Everyone around me uses them. I will ask around to see what ones they are using. They definitely help and work from what I have seen.

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    I've used the "Mooring Whip" brand for the last 20 years. Have had a Donzi Hornet, a 25 Magnum Sport and a 24 Bertram at various points in time over the past 20 years all on the same original set. I am in a high traffic location and have never regretted buying them. Single suggestion: don't over tension them. Use less than the instructions tell you. I am aware of several cases that too much tension caused them to break.

6. Collapse Details

They do work quite well, as mentioned. They can splinter slightly, on the outside, as they get older. Just be careful not to run your hand down them, at that point, or your hand will be full of fiberglas splinters. Been there. Maybe a coat of brushed-on clear epoxy would take care of that problem.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    I use them on my 20 Cigarette, and they work really well. My dock is located in what is probably the roughest area on the lake, where you'd still even HAVE a dock, and the whips keep the boat a safe distance from hittting anything.

I'm interested in hearing what brands everyone recommends too, because I'd like to put another set on the other side of my dock for guests. I was pretty surprised at how pricey they can be, depending on the brand & load rating, when I was shopping for them last week.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadInjun View Post
    They do work quite well, as mentioned. They can splinter slightly, on the outside, as they get older. Just be careful not to run your hand down them, at that point, or your hand will be full of fiberglas splinters. Been there. Maybe a coat of brushed-on clear epoxy would take care of that problem.
    Maybe covering them with a custom canvas "sock" or perhaps a noodle would be a safe bet.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com