Thread: Phucking Thief

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    That sucks Patrick. I installed cameras for a while. Have been using them since the slow-roll the VHS days. Now I am looking at a PC based system for a few hundred bucks. It's a PCI card and a software package. The cameras connect to the PCI card. They can be seen on a monitor and also there's an output that can be run to the video distro for monitoring on a TV. The PC that the card is in becomes an addressable/networkable system connected to your router. You can view the cameras from a remote computer.
    The trick is a good UPS power backup and a good hiding place for the unit.
    +1

When my best friend was robbed, I helped him setup a system exactly like this. Now when he is away on vacation, he can "see" his place with his laptop. One of the inside cameras is set to send a pic to his mobile phone on motion detect.

It works very well, and he does not mind going on vacation.

Good luck!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

2. Collapse Details

Start with a cheap computer you can hide. Connect it to your router. Install a PCI Card and it's software.

Now you can connect your wired or wireless cameras to the PC and monitor everything remotely.

The wired cameras work great for getting license plates and good face pics. The wireless cameras are great for flexibility and ease of install.

Power everything (including your cable modem and router) with a UPS system.

After the install you will hope that the thieves come back. Video works great in court!
    Last edited by clayinaustin; 03-29-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

3. Collapse Details

This is getting crazy. A friend that lives a mile away just called to tell me he chased off 3 hispanics trying to hot wire his dodge truck and 5 mins later a dodge truck being chased by a cop goes speeding by. Truck was stolen a block away from his house. Guess what I drive? A dodge truck..

This is not the change I wanted to see.
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    Start with a cheap computer you can hide. Connect it to your router. Install a PCI Card and it's software.

Now you can connect your wired or wireless cameras to the PC and monitor everything remotely.

The wired cameras work great for getting license plates and good face pics. The wireless cameras are great for flexibility and ease of install.

Power everything (including your cable modem and router) with a UPS system.

After the install you will hope that the thieves come back. Video works great in court!

that sounds about exactly what I want to do. How many cameras could you hook up?

Edit- clicked on all the links, see it is good for up to four cameras. I'll have to do some more reading. thanks.
    Last edited by ImaPoser; 04-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.