Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I'll see if I can find the guy that ordered the boat brand new up there this weekend, or at least try to find out how it rode. He's still around up there, but I have no idea where he hangs out.
    ive already got XR uppers in really good shape, so i am thinking i am going to move to an XR lower. With the shorties essentially being an XR lower, i thought if they would increase speed, and not hurt control and handling, that the shorties would be my best bet

by going to an XR lower i'm thinking i can play with 5 and even 6 blade props to work on the minor porpuse issue

2. Collapse Details

On the 30 Mystique non-stepped hull, if you're trying to cure the porpoise, you should try some different first. The shorties won't help that on your boat. The boat WMF breifly owned, was on our lake since new. They tried shorties, but new props were what cured the porpoise issue. I don't knwo if he sold the boat with the new props or not.

Shorties don't make much of a difference anyway from my own experience. I switched from standard length, to shorties on my 38 T/S back when I had it. It turned a few more rpms, but saw no gain in mph at all. After repropping & a few other tweaks, my boat still ran the exact same as it did with the standard length XR's.
    Well that is somthing I did not know about my old boat before I bought it Brandon!! I switched the props to 28P Bravo 1 labbed finshed props, but the boat still porpoised, had to run with the tabs down most of the time, unless at top speed. I got used to it and it was never a problem.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    Well that is somthing I did not know about my old boat before I bought it Brandon!! I switched the props to 28P Bravo 1 labbed finshed props, but the boat still porpoised, had to run with the tabs down most of the time, unless at top speed. I got used to it and it was never a problem.
    im thinking by going to an XR lower, and putting a 5 or 6 blade prop on with come cupping, i can eliminate the porpoise

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    I bought WMFs cigarette. Im Listening for any info about the boat and what was tried. Whay props are you talking about on my mystique made it run the best General Lee

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by allicat38 View Post
    I bought WMFs cigarette. Im Listening for any info about the boat and what was tried. Whay props are you talking about on my mystique made it run the best General Lee
    hey alicat, still no prop testing, too cold, will let you know soon though

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Cool . I have been wondering how it was. Im getting the itch to go boat to go boating. I have to get my big boat ready first so i should start to get the cig ready in may sometime.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    I'll have to ask the guy that did the work if I can locate him. I know they weren't Herings, because that was back when they were a 6 month wait to get a set, and he didn't even own the boat that long, lol.

I'll try to find out all that I can. It just may take a little time, since I haven't seen the guy in a couple of years, and the salesman that sold it new hasn't worked there in a few years either. Sorry!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    So did the skeg actually slow it down ? I doubt it.
    i have read where the people that cut the SKEG picked up 2 to 3 mph over the stock skeg so i guess to them the answer is yes, and i can see how it would.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    i have read where the people that cut the SKEG picked up 2 to 3 mph over the stock skeg so i guess to them the answer is yes, and i can see how it would.

That would compromise the steering far more than what tiny, if any, amount of speed the boat would gain

10. Collapse Details

That would compromise the steering far more than what tiny, if any, amount of speed the boat would gain
    Ok guys go look at a sportmaster the skeg is 2 inches longer then any other bravo style lower out there imco included. If it was going to compromise the steering then why does imco make them shorter all i am saying is cut it to the same length as a standard drive. i have one and yes it is cut and no it did not hurt the steering. Now on a cat maybe , but people put imco lowers on them all the time so the shorter imco skeg must steer ok. Changing the skeg on the #6 did it hurt the steering, no and they are faster.If you don't believe me go to oso and do a search there are guys the have run both the imco and the sportmaster and before the shortened up the skeg on the sportmaster they were slower by at least 2mph . They made the skeg the same as the imco and they run about the same.

11. Collapse Details

I'll have to ask the guy that did the work if I can locate him. I know they weren't Herings, because that was back when they were a 6 month wait to get a set, and he didn't even own the boat that long, lol.

I'll try to find out all that I can. It just may take a little time, since I haven't seen the guy in a couple of years, and the salesman that sold it new hasn't worked there in a few years either. Sorry!
    When I got the boat it had 26p Bravo 1 props on it, not labbed. Props will not take the porpoise out of the Mystique as far as I know.

12. Collapse Details

Ok guys go look at a sportmaster the skeg is 2 inches longer then any other bravo style lower out there imco included. If it was going to compromise the steering then why does imco make them shorter all i am saying is cut it to the same length as a standard drive. i have one and yes it is cut and no it did not hurt the steering. Now on a cat maybe , but people put imco lowers on them all the time so the shorter imco skeg must steer ok. Changing the skeg on the #6 did it hurt the steering, no and they are faster.If you don't believe me go to oso and do a search there are guys the have run both the imco and the sportmaster and before the shortened up the skeg on the sportmaster they were slower by at least 2mph . They made the skeg the same as the imco and they run about the same.
    You made it sound like you were just going to take a hacksaw to the drive, & cut off the lower 8 inches, which like many things I've read on the forums, wouldn't surprise me. I can see what you are talking about more clearly, after your comments above. There's no reason to freak out about it & assume no one believes you. I've had fast vee's with shorties, stardard lengths, & Alpha's to TRS, so I wouldn't comment if the cat I have was the only boat I'd ever experienced. No one cares enough about whether or not you gain the 2mph to get so defensive & rant about it. Good luck with whatever you guys try.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    When I got the boat it had 26p Bravo 1 props on it, not labbed. Props will not take the porpoise out of the Mystique as far as I know.
    The props made a big difference on that boat when he changed them, and the majority of the change was that the porpoise was gone at most speeds. They were a 5 blade if I recall, because it wouldn't turn a 6 blade high enough. Did you try props when you owned it, or are you just guessing? Making boats run smoother & more stable, are a lot of what props are for beyond just top speed. It would help that boat a bunch, AND save the current owner some time & money by starting with the wheels before changing drives, etc. I saw it myself with that exact boat, or I wouldn't bring it up!

14. Collapse Details

I don't think shortys will help you. heavy flat bottom boat with a cabin is not really ideal for them. They are so popular now because of the step hulls. when a boat runs flat and has steps you don't kill efficiency like you do on a flat bottom boat. smaller boats that are light they work too, like Donzi classics, where there is no cabin and they can carry the bow well.

15. Collapse Details

You made it sound like you were just going to take a hacksaw to the drive, & cut off the lower 8 inches, which like many things I've read on the forums, wouldn't surprise me. I can see what you are talking about more clearly, after your comments above. There's no reason to freak out about it & assume no one believes you. I've had fast vee's with shorties, stardard lengths, & Alpha's to TRS, so I wouldn't comment if the cat I have was the only boat I'd ever experienced. No one cares enough about whether or not you gain the 2mph to get so defensive & rant about it. Good luck with whatever you guys try.
    i am really not being defensive at all i just wanted to make it clear what i was talking about. I could tell you and Merc thought i was some redneck in the back yard with a hack saw Redneck maybe, stupid i hope not.All is good and i will try not to rant

16. Collapse Details

i am really not being defensive at all i just wanted to make it clear what i was talking about. I could tell you and Merc thought i was some redneck in the back yard with a hack saw Redneck maybe, stupid i hope not.All is good and i will try not to rant

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    What ever information about my mystique that can be found would be great. Take any amount of time, when you here something about it pass it along thru email or forum.

Check out some pics of my cigarette 20 i had from 1994 to 2002.

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Ok Its Not working ill try later

19. Collapse Details

What ever information about my mystique that can be found would be great. Take any amount of time, when you here something about it pass it along thru email or forum.

Check out some pics of my cigarette 20 i had from 1994 to 2002.
    I'll definitely find out all that I can about your boat as the season starts to pick up, & more of the people that know the boat since it was new start coming up & hanging out at the lake. I'll probably just PM the info to you, instead of having to "debate" every bit of info I'm able to dig up about your boat from the original owner & the others involved. I'll get the facts from his experience with dialing in the boat, so it won't be assumptions or 5th & 6th hand info that can easily be misquoted or misinterpreted.

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Sounds good General

Here is my 20 i had from 1994 to 2002. Anyone seen it around, I thought it went to Ocean City NJ aera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cigarette039.jpg   cigarette037.jpg   cigarette042.jpg  

cigarette043.jpg