Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Who needs accuracy? How far could a gauge be off? Not enough to make a difference to the average performance boater.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PM203 View Post
    Who needs accuracy? How far could a gauge be off? Not enough to make a difference to the average performance boater.
    New Livorsi gauges. Tachs were 300 RPM off each other. Water pressure off by several PSI. Oil pressure off several psi from each other. Oil temp was pretty close. Boost pretty close. Volts pretty close. Vessel View let you know which gauges were most correct. I agree for the most part it does not make much difference as long as they read consistantly right or wrong. However, on the tachs if you are trying to dial in props you really need to know exactly how many RPM you are turning.

3. Collapse Details

Agreed on the rpm's.

4. Collapse Details

My feeling is that the more accurate the info, the sooner you can detect a potential issue, accurately, esp. oil and water pressure. I'm not saying you can't get by with "close enough" but, even closer should be typically better...

5. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    "My feeling is that the more accurate the info, the sooner you can detect a potential issue, accurately, esp. oil and water pressure. I'm not saying you can't get by with "close enough" but, even closer should be typically better..."

I will agree there. But, in addition to gauges I 've had smartcraft monitoring too. So that solves that issue

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    I will agree there. But, in addition to gauges I 've had smartcraft monitoring too. So that solves that issue
    For sure - the best of both worlds...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I like big gauges, but with a twist. I like them rotated so that normal operating range/temp etc, the needle points straight up. A simple glance an you know something isn't right, also if there is a problem, it will catch your eye quicker. I also like a big shielded fom sun/glare multipurpose idiot light to catch your eye.
    I used to do that for all the porsche race guys in the old 911s . Big tach in the cener turned so redline was @ 12 o clock.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jhenrie View Post
    I used to do that for all the porsche race guys in the old 911s . Big tach in the cener turned so redline was @ 12 o clock.
    Cool ya learn somthing new every day I updated my dash to white a few years back looks nice but stock Fountain black less glare&easy read guages on original dash compared to updated dash !Also steering wheel blocks view of guages where stock they were configured different!Apache on right has nice layout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5260009.jpg   untitled 4.bmp  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
    My feeling is that the more accurate the info, the sooner you can detect a potential issue, accurately, esp. oil and water pressure. I'm not saying you can't get by with "close enough" but, even closer should be typically better...
    Who says that digital would be more accurate? Digital can be out of calibration as well. I would imagine that digital would be more accurate, but who really knows, unless you calibrated it yourself?

10. Collapse Details

Yup
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

11. Collapse Details

Who says that digital would be more accurate? Digital can be out of calibration as well. I would imagine that digital would be more accurate, but who really knows, unless you calibrated it yourself?
    Very true - I was just comparing something like Vessel View to a pure analog gauge. But I suppose depending on the means of delivery to the VV, it could be wrong as well? I guess the only real way to know when you are in trouble is when something goes "boom" - then you look at your gauges and see where they are at!?

12. Collapse Details

The wireless water pressure must be great I have to blow mine out every year

13. Collapse Details

If I built a new "whatever" right now, be it a boat, a rod, a race car, a bike, or a motorized liter box there is no doubt it would have dials on it !! I've never been a fan of anything digital but the thermostate in my house & thats pushing it..

I love to see a dash full of gauges,, not saying they have to be in the headrest of every seat next to a seperate gps, or recessed in the bulheads of the cabin, but I do like a good bit of gauges.. What I'm saying "in my opinion" is a little blend is ok if its done right.. key word being "little"
    Last edited by LittleDcsRodShop; 02-18-2010 at 02:37 AM.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I like big gauges, but with a twist. I like them rotated so that normal operating range/temp etc, the needle points straight up. A simple glance an you know something isn't right, also if there is a problem, it will catch your eye quicker. I also like a big shielded fom sun/glare multipurpose idiot light to catch your eye.
    You beat me to it; when I used to race cars that's that way we tried to set up our gauges.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

15. Collapse Details

All of you old school guys kill me. I understand "TO EACH HIS OWN" but, Really??

How can you like that old crap over something like the new OL or Statement! dashes?
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Bar View Post
    All of you old school guys kill me. I understand "TO EACH HIS OWN" but, Really??

How can you like that old crap over something like the new OL or Statement! dashes?
    Im with you Cash! MTI is another who i've seen use the digital gauges with very few real gauges. The RacePax's are very sweet!!

17. Collapse Details

Ilmor's working on a digital dash with an "analog gauge" page, so you get both the round dial/needle pointer look and digital accuracy. Lot of chartplotters already offer this option for any NMEA2000-compliant engine.

18. Collapse Details

Because the old crap looks better in some of our opinions. I like the new stuff as well, but you just cannot beat rows of gauges.

19. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada

Digital didn't last long in trucking. Couldn't stand up to the pounding and vibration.
    And ya...I like rows and rows of gauges and maybe a few toggles too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kv 3.jpg   785 Pete 4.jpg   785 Pete 5.jpg  

Peterbilt 5.jpg  
    Last edited by Scarab KV; 02-19-2010 at 02:15 PM.

20. Collapse Details

Because the old crap looks better in some of our opinions. I like the new stuff as well, but you just cannot beat rows of gauges.
    That's why I posted the TO EACH HIS OWN. It's definitely cool either way. I just like the 21st Century way.
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.