Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Where to buy marine plywood in south FL?
    OK, so I know there are a few local boat building guru's on here. Where can I get the best deal on 3 sheets of 1/2" to do my transom? I dont really care if it is some exotic wood, just regular marine grade(unless you guys tell me different). I am seriously considering ripping the old one out and replacing rather than reinforcing the existing one(since the damn hardware is so much $$ for a temprary band aid), but $$ and time is tight, gotta make a decision soon, so I dont lose the whole summer I plan on starting one way or the other this weekend, and need to know if I can get it locally for a decent $.

2. Collapse Details

Seafarer Marine
    3100 SW 3rd Ave
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
    (954) 763-4263

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    What's decent price these days? In '06 I paid about $65 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet from a local lumber shop here in Pompano. There's a guy that posts on CL every now and then out of Riviera Beach.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    What's decent price these days? In '06 I paid about $65 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet from a local lumber shop here in Pompano. There's a guy that posts on CL every now and then out of Riviera Beach.
    I dont know what a decent price is, really doesnt matter, I just dont want to buy something more than what is needed. I am seeing prices anywhere from $50-$100 per 1/2" sheet on the net, but then theres shipping. I'll check CL.

5. Collapse Details

Some of the Home Depot stores have them. You need to ask, since even the sales dudes have no clue what is Marine Ply.
    If all fails, let me know.. I can get you some from the distributer direct in Jax.
    Or Call Dantzler Inc. in Jax, they can tell you where they shipping them. 904 786-0424
    If you are really serious with your transom rep. give me a call. I'll get you some "brazilian Chery or Mahagony Marine ply stuff." don't skimp on the transom..

PS.. get something thicker then 1/2" you need "stiffnes".. (don't touch that one")
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Some of the Home Depot stores have them. You need to ask, since even the sales dudes have no clue what is Marine Ply.
    If all fails, let me know.. I can get you some from the distributer direct in Jax.
    Or Call Dantzler Inc. in Jax, they can tell you where they shipping them. 904 786-0424
    If you are really serious with your transom rep. give me a call. I'll get you some "brazilian Chery or Mahagony Marine ply stuff." don't skimp on the transom..

PS.. get something thicker then 1/2" you need "stiffnes".. (don't touch that one")
    I will see what HD has locally, also working on something on screamandfly the guy has some 3/4 marine tech. I would think 3 layers of 1/2" would be easier to work with than 2 layers of 3/4", and end up with a better final product due to the extra laminations. I also dont think that it calls for brazilian cherry, or mahogany, but I could be wrong.

7. Collapse Details

Looks like my guy over on screamandfly has 1/2" also, its a few hour ride, but the price is good, all set, thanks everyone, and look for a transom removal thread soon.

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    May get shotdown on this but remember reading marine and exterior plywood use the same adhesives for bonding the laminte together. Obviously exterior plywood is usually fir vs. marine using some exotics like mahogney etc. But for a transom wouldn't exterior plywood be adequate ?
    ed

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tced View Post
    may get shotdown on this but remember reading marine and exterior plywood use the same adhesives for bonding the laminte together. Obviously exterior plywood is usually fir vs. Marine using some exotics like mahogney etc. But for a transom wouldn't exterior plywood be adequate ?
    Ed
    nnnoooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Registered

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    Rick, somebody's reading this thread...

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/1597167650.html

12. Collapse Details

Mike,

Thanks, I e-mailed him for pricing. Worst case, I got a guy up in Lakeland that is a boater and works at a lumberyard, gonna hook me up.

Rick

13. Collapse Details

Here was his response, not bad for Okoume.

Richard,

I would recommend our BS1088 Marine Grade Okoume (1/2") 12mm Plywood. Normally these sheets cost over $110 per sheet, but I'll offer them to you at our discounted price of $100.00 a sheet.

Let me know how I can help.

14. Collapse Details

Educate me-

How many sheets does it take?
    How often are transoms done? Most of the time when rotting or changing power/drives?

Where I am confused at is I was thinking a boats transom is done like 1-2 times its entire life? As much as I love to save money and I'm not made of the stuff by any means, but even 5 sheets at a $40 savings per sheet, the saving is only $200?

Get the best job at the best value and asking from a perspective to clarify mine. Thanks, good luck with the project and take tons of pictures!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Educate me-

How many sheets does it take?
    How often are transoms done? Most of the time when rotting or changing power/drives?

Where I am confused at is I was thinking a boats transom is done like 1-2 times its entire life? As much as I love to save money and I'm not made of the stuff by any means, but even 5 sheets at a $40 savings per sheet, the saving is only $200?

Get the best job at the best value and asking from a perspective to clarify mine. Thanks, good luck with the project and take tons of pictures!
    I agree,

and not being cheap at all, just dont want to get taken just because it is labeled "Marine" Gonna take 3 sheets for the transom, 1-2 more for the knees, and I am going to check for stringer rot while I am at it. I will be going with marine grade, and possibly Okoume, which from what I understand is the best available. Many people have suggested Home Depot, and I considered the cheap way out, honestly that will work, but the one thing I do with this boat is run it hard, and the last thing I want to worry about is a transom coming apart. Also I will be using the best glass as suggested by glassdave, and offshoreginger, and Vinylester resin. I would go epoxy, but I believe the rest of the boat is oldschool polyester, and from what I understand is that I wouldnt be able to gelcoat the epoxy. Also Vynilester is supposed to have a longer working time than Poly. So like I said, it is going to be done right, with good materials, and will probably take twice as long as expected, but I have too much time and $$ already wrapped up into this thing to skimp.

Rick

16. Collapse Details

Bought 2 sheets of 1/2" marine A/B 5 ply here in Jax 55.00/sheet @ Southern Plywood ....

Home Depot had some 3/4" 5 ply Exterior A/A for 23.00 !!!! It was real nice looking stuff ....I couldnt use 3/4 though ......m

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    Mark-I think old school was two layers of 3/4". Nowadays the thought is 3 layers of 1/2" which allows an extra layer of glass.

The wood/glass/resin would last forever...if you didn't have to put holes in it. Some mfrs are notorious for how well they seal every hole and exposed piece of wood. But all it takes is one screw and eventually it rots.

$100 for 1/2" seems like a lot; good wood, but is it necessary? How about $57 for marine grade fir?

18. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=sledge;438716$100 for 1/2" seems like a lot; good wood, but is it necessary? How about $57 for marine grade fir?[/QUOTE]

That would work also. Okoume is not necessary, but would be nice, since I am doing the labor anyway, $150 or so more is not really that big of a deal, but I would hate to make a mistake cutting a $100 piece of plywood

19. Collapse Details

TY- makes sense! Just to clarify- I wasn't implying you were cheap- just wanted to make sure what I was visualizing what really what was going on was all.

8' sections so with an 8'6" beam you would have to interlace them? You would think a marine company would have made some thing 9' by now since most boats are 8'6" (room for error)?

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by offthefront View Post
    Bought 2 sheets of 1/2" marine A/B 5 ply here in Jax 55.00/sheet @ Southern Plywood ....

Home Depot had some 3/4" 5 ply Exterior A/A for 23.00 !!!! It was real nice looking stuff ....I couldnt use 3/4 though ......m
    The Home Depot stuff is OK. (it might have greeen edges) Dantzler Inc. supplies Southern and Home Depot. DO NOT use exterior ply. My transom is about 2"+ thick. I would make the transom as stiff and as thick as possible.
    Once you have deflection water or moisture, (humidity) can get inbetween.
    When you "laminate" the peaces, I would even use FG matts between the layers. BOW in Pompano sells "Boat yard" resin. Good stuff and it won't set up as fast as Poly. Have fun.. lol it's a sticky project.