1. Collapse Details
    cooling question
    Good afternoon, I'm new to this site and building a 400sbc with weiand 177 supercharger. I've been building 400 sbc's for a while for drag cars. and am on the 3rd combo for my boat first 2 were n/a engines with high comp. first was 11.8 and I had to mix my gas even with a long duration cam after frying pistons I backed down the comp ratio to 10 to 1. had problems with #7 and # 8 running hot. changed to cloosed cooling with 14 lb cap seemed to help. now I'm going supercharged and worried about same issue using the siamese block. on another site I read about the big block blower guys running a crossover from back of manifold to front. there is a boss on each side that I can drill and tap for the fittings in the back. would this apply to my sbc also. PS I did have to stagger jet the carb but I was running a single plane intake. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. fried chicken is tasty! fried pistons not so much.

2. Collapse Details

Think about water/methenol injection to cool intake charge. Also check into intercooler under blower.

3. Collapse Details

Welcome to SOS doggiedave!! Registered for 2 months and took you that long to post? Slow typer? LOL- J/K and welcome!

4. Collapse Details

intercooler intercooler intercooler!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lower the comp ratio or find a good supply of race gas. If your closed cooling system can keep up, thats a good thing. You might need to revert back to an open system with a crossover and no stat to keep the blower motor cooled.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the welcome! I don't think I was clear on my issues. I will be running 8.2 to 1 comp, on the new engine, I know all about detonation/ preignition, been there done that. I have plenty of capacity as far as the cooling system itself. my concerns were temperature diferentials between cylinders and as to wether a crossover would be the way to go to get the rear cylinders closer in temp to the front, will go for 6psi boost initially intercooler is not in my budget yet. thanks for all the info

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedave View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I don't think I was clear on my issues. I will be running 8.2 to 1 comp, on the new engine, I know all about detonation/ preignition, been there done that. I have plenty of capacity as far as the cooling system itself. my concerns were temperature diferentials between cylinders and as to wether a crossover would be the way to go to get the rear cylinders closer in temp to the front, will go for 6psi boost initially intercooler is not in my budget yet. thanks for all the info
    I would absolutely run bleeder hoses overboard from the back of the intake. This will keep the water moving at the back of the engine and stop steam pockets from forming. I would also not run a thermostat to keep it cool. Just make sure you have enough piston clearance.
    Eddie