Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I saw it on the Today show this morning. What a waste of a cool boat.

2. Collapse Details

Well that last video that GL posts sure paints a different picture dosn't it. While I think these guys are clearly not going about this the most productive way that Ship CLEARLY turns to hit them. I am sure the Japanese fleet is wishing that video did not exist. Looks like they chould be in some deep doo doo.

3. Collapse Details

The old earthrace boat had rightaway and the whale shipped yawed towards them as if to get closer but the earthrace definitely accelerated into them. Regardless of rightaway the earthrace who is more manueverable failed to use due diligence in avoiding a collision. Earthrace is in the wrong.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
    Looks like they chould be in some deep doo doo.

Is there anything they can do in International waters? (Assuming that's where they are?)

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    Is there anything they can do in International waters? (Assuming that's where they are?)
    I have no idea what the legal answer to that would be but it sounds like there could be legal and financial ramification. If the Japanese are found at fault then the poll of public opinion would/could certainly have an ill effect.

Jon

6. Collapse Details

You can see in the video the whale ship correcting to come back to Port but by then it was to late as the Earthrace boat accelerated across their path.

Got to see the Earthrace boat upclose and personal when i was in Paris a few years ago. Neat boat to badd its a couple of million dollars worth of trash now .

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post
    The old earthrace boat had rightaway and the whale shipped yawed towards them as if to get closer but the earthrace definitely accelerated into them. Regardless of rightaway the earthrace who is more manueverable failed to use due diligence in avoiding a collision. Earthrace is in the wrong.
    I was thinking that at first as well when I saw the first video that MM posted. Then after I saw GL's video I thought, they are sitting dead or almost dead in the water and the whaling vessel turns hard at them so the guys in the old race boat kind of panic and start to accellerate to get past the whaling boats bow, but then the whaleing boat seams to turn back on them again. Almost like the whalling boat intended to scare them half to death but did not think they would move and when they did it was to late to correct back again. Just speculation of course...

8. Collapse Details

In the first video i see earthrace is moving forward and looks to hit the whale boat....but in the other video that whale ship definatley makes a big turn into the earthrace boat. So earthrace was moving forward, but that whale ship does make a turn right into them.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
    I have no idea what the legal answer to that would be but it sounds like there could be legal and financial ramification. If the Japanese are found at fault then the poll of public opinion would/could certainly have an ill effect.

Jon
    Man, I don't know where you'd even BEGIN to start, on trying to collect from some random Japanese fishing operation. What a mess!

10. Collapse Details

You can see the whale ship turned Starboard towards them as it is driving into the wave. This caused the ship to yaw and exagerated the turn so the captain made a hard course correction back to Port.By then it was to late. If the Earthrace boat had held its previous speed it would not have happened. Also if they were truly trying to avoid be ran down you would have seen much more acceleration coupled with some nice black smoke.
    Last edited by tommymonza; 01-06-2010 at 11:51 AM.

11. Collapse Details

The video of the Earthrace boats propwash showing them accelerating into the path of the ship will be their downfall.

12. Collapse Details

or as they said in the article they were trying to reverse......in the first video you would have possibly seen smoke and water direction being changed...i saw neither. Come on though they are enviro wack jobs. I have no problem with save the whales or anything of the nature, but when you start going to the extremes that boarder on legal issues there is a problem. Not just with the whale savers but all animal rights activist that do things like this.
    Of course why are they still hunting the whales...

13. Collapse Details

general lee beat me to it.

i guess we'll get the full story on the next south park episode

14. Collapse Details

Yea the whole reverse thing is a total lie. It will ruin their credibility at any hearing .

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCat View Post
    What's on the back of that thing, speakers?
    Ady Gil's 9000 Watt Sound System

While it won't pack the punch of a LRAD, the Sea Shepherd have nonetheless equipped the Ady Gil with a sound system capable of spewing 9000 watts.

Captain Pete Bethune plans on blasting a song from New Zealand artist Tiki Taane called Tangaroa.

“It’s a pretty spooky dark song and it’s got this sort of ethereal Maori chant going on it and I don’t think they’ll like it at all,” he told a NZ Radio station. “It’s a little bit of mind games. We’re not down there to make friends with them – we’re down there to intimidate them and disrupt them and see what we can do to make life difficult.”
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails adygil.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    I'm all for responsible conservation and saving the whales but it brings a smile to my face when tree huggers and eco-terrorists have violence imposed upon them. Especially when their boat runs on bio diesel.

17. Collapse Details

Sooo...

Any one else notice how much smoother the tri-hull is than the V hull bouncing all around?

18. Collapse Details

They confirmed the Ady Gil has sunk...

Wonder if the 2500 imperial gallons of bio-diesel will help the whales, but at least it was painted with non-toxic paint!

19. Collapse Details

I wonder if they can make "bio-diesel" with Whale Blubber???? Can't get much "greener" than that!

"Almost every part of a whale was once used. The meat was used as food. Today, in some countries the meat is a delicacy, in others it is only used as animal food. The blubber was used as fuel, as grease (used to oil engines and machines),....."

20. Collapse Details

As recently as the mid-80's Japanese and Korean cars came into this country with whale oil as one of the components of their automatic transmission fluid. When the trans failed (regularly) and burnt up the fluid the stench from the fluid would fill an entire shop when the case was split. One of the most hideous smells I have ever encountered. Of course, then and now there were alternatives so it was another useless waste of an animal.