Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Cosmic I think the unrestored 20's are just the starting point and to get to the finished product you can spend 30-40K more. I would rather just spend all the money up front and buy a finished 20 for 40-50K and go enjoy the boat. There have been a few nice 20's asking 50-70K and they sold relatively fast so I wouldn't think you could get hurt in a 40-50K one.

2. Collapse Details

Here's a few pics of the 350 Mag powered 21. I can't describe how impressed I was with this boat. Yes, a real 73 mph 21 foot boat with stock small block power. It's a very efficient design.

Kurt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21_Sutphen_2009 078.jpg   21_Sutphen_2009 043.jpg   21_Sutphen_2009 073.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Beautiful. Boat isn't too shabby either!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Having owned many Donzi Classics over the years including a new Donzi 22 2+3,I feel I can give a fair assesment when it comes to these little boats. I've got to tell you how impressed we were with the new 21 Sutphen. The nay sayers here could not have ever seen or driven these little Sutphens.

No offence to the classic Donzi crowd but I thought the 22 Classic was a rather poor handling piece and not very well constructed. Dangerous actually with rediculous bow steer if trimmed in too far. Morgan from Sutphen had brought both the small block and 496 21's up here last year and what fine handling vessels they are! The Sutphen has the best of both worlds, classic looks and expert bottom tweaks, build with incredible attention to detail.

And for performance with stock power, the Sutphen has them all beat hands down. How about 73 on gps with a bone stock 350 Magnum and 83 with the 496. Without any weird handling quirks.

Wouldn't a Lip Ship Edition 21 Sutphen be nice!

If I had the extra $$ the blue 21 would be mine!

Kurt
    Great post Kurt! How have you been??

5. Collapse Details

As much I like the Donzi's, I do have to say the build quality and rigging on a lot of them is embarrassingly bad. One of my customers designed the original Shelby as a custom build for himself. It was originally called the Aronow edition, Donzi apparently got sued for using the name without permission so it was re released the next year as the Shelby. His boat had the indicator cables glued into the filler under the cockpit sole, unfinished fiberglass and grinding dust everywhere under the bow, and was one of a large number that had no filler under the stringers leaving a huge void that caused cracks in the bottom of the hull. Donzi did warranty everything but he lost a whole season..

6. Collapse Details

Look at the genes of a 20 Cigarette for one and the name can't be beaten known world wide.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

7. Collapse Details

So are the Elco PT-boats...
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    Just wondering out loud here,
    If the 20 Cigs are worth so much than why has there been what appears to be a very nice one 4-sale on the other site for a long time asking $12.5 ?????
    Is it the TRS? looks like a very nice ride to me.
    Sorry for the lack of a link but I hate links.

Also I have asked before about the 21 Apache Scout and never got much info back and I see the same thing happened here again, whats the deal with that?

The Sutphen is way way cool and if I were look'n for new it would be on the top of my list.
    There is 20' Cigerette for 6k still availible TRS its all there

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fobes View Post
    I'm no expert but both the Donzi and the older Cigs have radiused keels w/ 24 degree deadrise. The newer manu Cigs have a large flat pad if I remember correctly where the older ones had a bottom similar to the Donzi. I had a 20' Minx with the same bottom (I believe) as the 22' Classic and it was surprisingly good in the rough, the 22 could only be better.
    As far as the Sutphen. I think it would be faster than the other two all things equal and in my opinion (you know what they say about those) looks the best of all three.
    Bottom line- you probably can't go wrong with any one of them.
    Matt
    The 20 Cigarette is related to the 18 Donzi.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

10. Collapse Details

All the 20 Sutphen's are original designs. You can get a real nice older 20 for 10-15K. There was just one of craigslist but the ad ran out. Not sure if it sold or not. I emailed the seller with no reply.

11. Collapse Details

The sutphen is a nice boat, but I was in kentucky in may, 4 20' cigarettes smoked that boat. Bring 1 with real power and you can talk like that. It never even sold from what i know...and you cant buy a 20' cigarette for any price..there all sold. Sorry for reality.

12. Collapse Details

Dam the blue 21 is a sweet looking little cottage ride. 83 with a stock 496? Nice.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Here's a few pics of the 350 Mag powered 21. I can't describe how impressed I was with this boat. Yes, a real 73 mph 21 foot boat with stock small block power. It's a very efficient design.

Kurt
    Man I love that boat, what a cool package. If I could I surely would.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    There is 20' Cigerette for 6k still availible TRS its all there
    I need more info here.........PLEASE!!!!!

15. Collapse Details

The 20' Cigarette was done because of a bet!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    You mean 100+k for a 20 from Philly or 100+K for a new 22 classic?? Id rather take the Sutphen for 60-70 and smoke them both with the same power!. You know nothing!! The 20 Sutphen is from the same time and era as Donzi and Cigarette. Sutphen took the new 21 to a number of runs this year and the only boat to go by them was Abraham in his 100+ 20 Cigarette. I dont think you have any idea or history of Sutphen. The have won more championships than Cigarette and Donzi buddy!! The original 20's ran damn well too from the 70's and 80's!
    First lets get this straight ....... i did not say a new boat , and when it comes to re sale value Cig and Donzi hold there own & always will . Excuse me put i have more of an idea of the history of Sutphen , then you will ever know from the multiple adveretising model porfolios that i own , right down to using plywood core along with my all time favorite boat's that they produce and with that in mind you must think that everybody on this board is dumber then a box of rocks when it comes to Cig , Donzi or Sutphen and i can almost bet that alot of us old farts grew up using these boats .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 12-30-2009 at 07:58 PM.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarette1 View Post
    The sutphen is a nice boat, but I was in kentucky in may, 4 20' cigarettes smoked that boat. Bring 1 with real power and you can talk like that. It never even sold from what i know...and you cant buy a 20' cigarette for any price..there all sold. Sorry for reality.
    May of had my info wrong, but still the 496 Sutphen is faster than the 20 Cig with an equal 496. But for fair game im sure those Cigs have some nice power in them. I thought Philly had one left that he did that was sold, but then not??

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    First lets get this straight ....... i did not say a new boat , and when it comes to re sale value Cig and Donzi hold there own & always will .
    I agree with the Cigarette holding it's value because it is a Cigarette. Actually I think some may have appreciated in value!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarette1 View Post
    Hear , Hear , and i agree 100%

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    Look at the genes of a 20 Cigarette for one and the name can't be beaten known world wide.
    Dam Steve , old f**ks like us think a like and maybe the reason issssssssssss because we both have been in this business way to long , and dont have the time for any $hit anymore , or could it just be are patience is running out ?
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 12-30-2009 at 08:01 PM.