Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    Went by the local marina today and saw this sea tow boat. They were trying to pull a sail boat off a reef and the tow boat went side ways and then upside down. It sat for a day grinding upside down on the reef before being brought in
    About five years ago In Holland a Sea Tow boat was towing a 53' Hat.when it was swamped and rolled over by a 42 Sea Ray. watched it happen - wish I could find the pix.

2. Collapse Details

Just wondering why so many hate sea tow? Never used them or had to but was looking at joining, so what is the story?

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    In '95 I purchased a 35' MAGNUM, on the way home to BOSTON from TROY,N.Y. Had fuel problem on the Hudson River. Guy shows up in a ****box 24' i/o, could hardly manuver the boat, cost me over $300 port to port. Have several 18-wheelers worth over $100K apiece that I couldn't get this kind of money at his rate, what am I doing wrong ??? "HIGH LIFE"

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JFM View Post
    Just wondering why so many hate sea tow? Never used them or had to but was looking at joining, so what is the story?
    Waste of money hide a $100 bill on the boat is a safer bet

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JFM View Post

Do you like $8000 tow bills?? oh by the way..you were dead in the water, so it wasnt a tow, it was a salvage, and your policy DOESN'T cover that..

that give you an idea??
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Do you like $8000 tow bills?? oh by the way..you were dead in the water, so it wasnt a tow, it was a salvage, and your policy DOESN'T cover that..

that give you an idea??
    Does that really happen?
    I signed up with them for my time in the winter in Cape Coral, really only because that was the name I kept seeing in my first few visits there.

I'd be interested in hearing some first hand stories one way or the other re their towing habits if there are any out there.

Thank you

7. Collapse Details

There was that incident last year at Sunny Isles where they tossed a rope onto a flipped cat and towed it a mile to the crane, only to demand something like $14 grand in cash. When the owner protested, they jumped on, towed the boat to a cove and hid it. It's Lamborghini engines filling with salt water for hours. This is one of dozens- maybe hundreds of stories I've heard in the past few years.

I understand marine salvage and the way fees are determined and I appreciate the role that professional marine salvors play. But SeaTow is notorious for taking unfair advantage of the average pleasure boater. TowBoat US has a MUCH better reputation. Much.

8. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    if you heard all the stories,you wouldn,t use your boat! the dues you pay doesn,t cover anything,its just a card in your wallet,so you call them first to phoqueya. we have made arrangments with them prior to racing, and then a race boat breaks down,flips.rolls whatever,,,they hook to the boat tow it to the dock, then look around to see who wants to write the 6,000 to 20,000 dollar check for this salvage,,,there are a millon of these stories,,,your best bet is to wave down a fellow boater and give him a couple hundred bucks to help you. good luck,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

9. Collapse Details

Muchly appreciate this post/info on the seatow, I didn't know. Many thanx!

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    Muchly appreciate this post/info on the seatow, I didn't know. Many thanx!
    Welcome to Serious BTW..Enjoy

11. Collapse Details

The thing is, if you have real and proper insurance, it's all covered. And SeaTow's attorneys aren't anywhere as good as your insurers. So that ridiculous bill gets cut way down quick. But the issue is with uninsured boats- and specifically in our little part of the world, race boats.

It still baffles me why the racing organizations can't nail this down and protect their racers from these predatory practices.

12. Collapse Details

I would never tie up to a capsized boat unless my boat was 5 times the size and had alot of freeboard. I'm not going to to the bottom without a fight. But I can't imagine the racers wouldn't pay a few more $$ to have a tow company contracted to pull in a flipped or swamped boat. Obviously if they have to put some work in they're entitled to the additional $$.

13. Collapse Details

That hurts!

14. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    grinding upside down on the reef
    Anyone call the proper authorities?...

15. Collapse Details

A little secret Marine police tow you in for free!At a race different story they charged me 5k to return my boat worth 40K salvage law of sea? Thats a lot more than 10% in my book do it with your own insurance add a rider if you poker run or race!Oh yea about 10 yrs ago They charged me 70 dollars for 5 gallons of gas and I was a member both times

16. Collapse Details

new motors with rain vents built in
    BOATING BABYYYY

NJPPC COMMITEE MEMBER
    www.njppc.com
    www.njboa.org

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would never tie up to a capsized boat unless my boat was 5 times the size and had alot of freeboard. I'm not going to to the bottom without a fight. But I can't imagine the racers wouldn't pay a few more $$ to have a tow company contracted to pull in a flipped or swamped boat. Obviously if they have to put some work in they're entitled to the additional $$.
    chris they did have a contract and sea tow phucked them after everyone who raced sgned up for a yr that happened out west in cali and here in fl.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
    chris they did have a contract and sea tow phucked them after everyone who raced sgned up for a yr that happened out west in cali and here in fl.
    Yep. This has everything to do with corporate culture and the integrity of the parent corp and thier core values.

We have a good relationship with Tow Boat US and will again have them at all the racers meetings for this years event in Sunny Isles Beach. ( For assistance towing only)

On a side note I had to call Tow Boat US two times during the Key West Poker Run for different boats I was aboard and did not own. Because of my 150 dollar a year unlimited membership our total bill for over four hours of service was ZERO!

We did pay them a little extra to run a boats and take the girls and myself to Gilberts so I could catch a ride onboard another boat. They were great! I complelety endorse Tow Boat US on all coasts.
    Brad Schoenwald
    "It's not what you do, it's how well you do it"
    www.PERFORMANCEBOATSCHOOL.com

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD SCHOENWALD View Post
    Yep. This has everything to do with corporate culture and the integrity of the parent corp and thier core values.

We have a good relationship with Tow Boat US and will again have them at all the racers meetings for this years event in Sunny Isles Beach. ( For assistance towing only)

On a side note I had to call Tow Boat US two times during the Key West Poker Run for different boats I was aboard and did not own. Because of my 150 dollar a year unlimited membership our total bill for over four hours of service was ZERO!

We did pay them a little extra to run a boats and take the girls and myself to Gilberts so I could catch a ride onboard another boat. They were great! I complelety endorse Tow Boat US on all coasts.