Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

registered
    Very cool Bob. I look forward to reading about your adventure, as your last one was completely enthralling. Keep us informed.

2. Collapse Details

when it was semi legal for US citizens my friends always took a couple cartons of marlboro's for the gun boat crew, and baseball equipment for the local kids. looking forward to having a beer with you guy's and seeing you off on your trip. I would ask locally (KW) for donations , but it might be too much to carry !!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    when it was semi legal for US citizens my friends always took a couple cartons of marlboro's for the gun boat crew, and baseball equipment for the local kids. looking forward to having a beer with you guy's and seeing you off on your trip. I would ask locally (KW) for donations , but it might be too much to carry !!!
    He could tow a barge.........
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Fun trip. Looking forward to the movie.

5. Collapse Details

Good Luck Bob!! Thanks again for sharing with us!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    Fun trip. Looking forward to the movie.
    I hope I don't throw this thread too far off track by posting this but this is me on Saturday practicing evasive measures from the Cuban Coast Guard. And yes we had our life jackets and lanyards hooked up. Not sure how that helps when you end up in the trees but what a blast. I set aside my normal sensibilities and joined in the mayhem. Too funny - I think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/btb707

7. Collapse Details

That looked like a blast.

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Nice Bob, thought there was gonna be a couple of washdowns there......

9. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    I hope I don't throw this thread too far off track by posting this but this is me on Saturday practicing evasive measures from the Cuban Coast Guard. And yes we had our life jackets and lanyards hooked up. Not sure how that helps when you end up in the trees but what a blast. I set aside my normal sensibilities and joined in the mayhem. Too funny - I think.

River run'n is a blast.
    Were those the simulated Cuban infantry on the bridge?

10. Collapse Details

registered

Loved it. Great video, thanks! How far back was Alec?

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    Where can I get a CAN passport in 2 days?

Not so sure about the bats, but the baseball equipment is probably a good thought. Gloves and balls would surely be welcomed. Perhaps soccer balls also?

Can't wait to read along and see the pictures.

12. Collapse Details

Cant wait to see the pics, you guys be safe.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I have in-laws in Cuba. Unfortunately they were mostly imprisioned by Fidel, so they won't be much help.

14. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W

Cool vid, but that guy in the red cat (40 seconds)passed you on a blind bend on the wrong side of the river, he might want to consider the possibility that he might meet some one coming the other way.

It's behavior like that that keeps me away from poker runs.

Good luck with the Cuba trip.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

15. Collapse Details

Very exciting Bob.....can't wait to see all the photos!! Safe travels!!
    :Angel_anim::Angel_anim:

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Cool vid, but that guy in the red cat (40 seconds)passed you on a blind bend on the wrong side of the river, he might want to consider the possibility that he might meet some one coming the other way.

It's behavior like that that keeps me away from poker runs.

Good luck with the Cuba trip.
    That was a new 28 Daytona Eliminator with Ilmor power. Beautiful boat but agree he should have waited a bit longer till around that bend. There was a nice straight stretch after that. The locals stay off the water till we are done .... but I agree, all it takes if one mistake. I have heard about this run for years and stayed away till circumstances this year brought me to the run.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Loved it. Great video, thanks! How far back was Alec?
    How far is "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

I was lucky enough to get past several big V's in the first mile or so of river. Kinda funny seeing the look on peoples faces when they see me commin past on one sponson or the other getting thru the washing machine. Fortunately, a few of the bigger guys made some space and let me thread thur to get to the cleaner water so I could open her up for the run up stream. Down stream was 17 miles of no one infront of me but for one 36 Nortech cat and he was a 1/4 mile ahead so we let her eat all the way back down Best comparison I can think of is a formula one road course for boats. Lots of turns and straight aways. Tight corners and then WFO blasts to the next corner and so on for miles. YeeeeeeHawwwwwww

The guy in the red 28 did take a pretty serious chance passing where he did IMHO too. Some of those corners in the river get very tight and go way beyond 90*. If you don't know the river ( I do ) or don't have a local guide like Bob did, it can get pretty un nerving heading into a decreasing radius corner with lots of trees on the outside.

Locals know we are coming. Same time very year for 20 yrs now. They hold poker run parties and line the banks and salute and wave etc. Very little boat traffic on the river during the run BUT still, a little scary to be passing there, there are plenty of straightaways for doing that that greatly reduce the risk to everyone.

The river run is the highlight of the poker run circuit here every year. We finally got Bob to come and as you noticed from his giggling like a little girl at a Jonas Brothers concert in the video, he apparently liked it too.

18. Collapse Details

Lets see, where were we ? Oh, yes. Going to Cuba. LOL

NOAA weather 60 NM out. Looking good so far. Lets hope it holds thru the weekend so we can get back !!

THURSDAY AND FRIDAY
    EAST WINDS NEAR 10 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 1 FOOT. NEARSHORE WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Bob, give me a call Wed. late afternoon and we can meet for a drink if you have time in the evening. My crew does not arrive untill 10ish so I'll just be hanging out.
    Bob US cell 239-776-0481
    Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Member: 532 View Post
    Another great adventure and I wish you safe travels, take lots of pics we'll be waiting for a safe return.

Spent a week there a month ago, beautiful country (gov't sucks) that has been stuck in the a time warp. It has the best beaches I have ever been in, felt like they were untouched. The people don't have anything, yet they will give you their shirts of their backs.

The government caters to and bends over backwards towards Europeans and Canadian tourists, so you should have no issues. My only concern is a Predator going up and down the coast without catching the attention of the Cuban military/Coast guard. I did not see any pleasure boat the entire week I was there.

Take Euro's and exchange them on the island for Cuban currency, because you will be taxed 20% on the U.S dollar.

Be careful with the coral reefs!!

Don't forget the snokel/scuba gear (lobster everywhere)

Question:
    **Why not go into Varadero, much nicer marina with lots of resorts??

Once again, I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to a safe return.
    I'll try to post pics, later...apologies on the long post.
    Thanks 532, very helpful. I was unaware of the premium on the US dollar. I am going to now take Euro's as well as US and some CAN currency. Can never take too much of that green stuff, as long as I don't get rolled I guess. LOL

I have concerns as well about running the beach / coast in Team PREDATOR. If I can get some comfort level that it is OK when at Marina Hemingway we will and if not we will just go straight in and out. It would be real cool to get some waterside shots of Havana with my telephoto lens if we can. We will do Veradero another time. Another way for me to get to the Caribean would be running the north coast of Cuba rather than thru Bahamas could be interesting. Only if goes well tho and we get a comfort level.