Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
screws and bolts are a piece of cake. Chuck them in a drill, spin them against some sand paper in your hand to remove the manufactures markings and grade stamps and then take them to the buffing wheel. Coarse compund first and then finnish compund on the second wheel. Unchuk em and let em fall out of the drill. DO NOT TOUCH THEM .......trust me on that part.

I have a couple nice thread shaped scars from that lesson.

Nuts, thread them onto a piece of wooden dowel to make holding them easy. I used a dremel held in a vice with a sanding disc to clean them up a bit before polishing them.

Washers I screwed to a board leaving them just loose enough to rotate. Hit them with a body polisher with a wool pad and 3m finnish cut after a quick spin with the sanding dremel.

All told, I polished over 600 fastners and about 150 flat washers that way.
I did some of the bolt heads takeing the markings off,alot were allens,they dont shine up much ,if ya take the lines off the side they would show up very good anyway.I have tryied the drill press, I usally just hold them on the buffer,burn your fingers and drop it and grag anouther,I know when i get burned thru the glove I pressing to hard.

hey this thread is turning into a buffing thread

Air have ya had the buffer grab something your polishing and chunk it,stick into the sheet rock? after it hits your hand,that hurts