Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    The photo of Bounty Hunter with Don was taken in Bobby's Apache shop that was right next to the Marina. That is the 39 foot Cigarette that first raced in 1979 at the Bacardi race and then was sold to Fayva shoes for the 1980 season. So if you are trying to pin don a time frame that the boat still has Bounty Hunter on the side it has to be in the 1979 season. and before the 1980 season started.

Another hint is the box up on the shelf behind the boat that has the Squadron XII logo on it.
    Thanks for coming back on that Charlie.

I can understand the squadron reference,but surely the boat details you refer to was the bubbldeck 39 that went to Meynard in the year you stated.The aft deck arrgt with that black box affair and hatch design I can`t liken to anything normally cigarette like,or is this an actual squadron hull.

But who was the Brit who raced it under the UK flag and what race.

2. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    Thanks for coming back on that Charlie.

I can understand the squadron reference,but surely the boat details you refer to was the bubbldeck 39 that went to Meynard in the year you stated.The aft deck arrgt with that black box affair and hatch design I can`t liken to anything normally cigarette like,or is this an actual squadron hull.

But who was the Brit who raced it under the UK flag and what race.
    Who else would the mystery driver be but of course..........the infamous CIAO

The boat never ran that well .....and that is the basis for his charming personality, eh?
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

3. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	79794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	79795

The boat never ran that well .....and that is the basis for his charming personality, eh?
    Controversial !!!!!!!!!

Attached are some more views of the boat shed.

I am coming to the conclusion it is a squadron.Look at that aft deck arrgt.Also there is a Beep Beep hull in view.What on earth were they doing knocking out hulls that never ran.Both Martin and Halpern seem to have been sold dummies.I have a suspicion that Bounty Hunter hull was hired by Doxford (he carried the race no 17 sometimes),so if it was,even he caught a cold.

Ray Bulman who took the photos can`t remember the story,but I`ll jog his memory about the squadron shop when I see him shortly.

Off course 1981 fits in nicely with the first squadron raceboat.

4. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	79794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	79795

Controversial !!!!!!!!!

Attached are some more views of the boat shed.

I am coming to the conclusion it is a squadron.Look at that aft deck arrgt.Also there is a Beep Beep hull in view.What on earth were they doing knocking out hulls that never ran.Both Martin and Halpern seem to have been sold dummies.I have a suspicion that Bounty Hunter hull was hired by Doxford (he carried the race no 17 sometimes),so if it was,even he caught a cold.

Ray Bulman who took the photos can`t remember the story,but I`ll jog his memory about the squadron shop when I see him shortly.

Off course 1981 fits in nicely with the first squadron raceboat.
    Sorry about the mid paragraph response, it wouldn't let me scroll down to here.

OK that sheds a different light on things...no pun intended. That Bounty Hunter was not the 39 footer that was raced in 79 and not the Fayva Shoes of 1980. Left photo shows a 41 Cigarette that Don used diesels and #3 drives. Beep Beep in the photo was not the MSV hull blocked down to make a 38 foot Cobra like Halpern raced. It is a Cigarette, as is the other boat in the photo. They appear to have a deck line of a 35 flat deck Mistress, not a 37.6 like Ajac Hawk was built in December of 1978. Doxford rented on of the MSV Cobras from Halpern to race in the Benihana one summer and had Willy Meyers as part of the crew then.

So there now have we solved it or made more questions to addle our ancient minds?

Also the Bounty Hunter shown in these photos is not a race boat, but a pleasure boat as evidenced by the hatches.

The Black Knight and the boat behind it are both the 41 Cigarettes Don was making.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 03-17-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Fixed Mid Paragraph response
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

5. Collapse Details

Sorry about the mid paragraph response, it wouldn't let me scroll down to here.

OK that sheds a different light on things...no pun intended. That Bounty Hunter was not the 39 footer that was raced in 79 and not the Fayva Shoes of 1980. Left photo shows a 41 Cigarette that Don used diesels and #3 drives. Beep Beep in the photo was not the MSV hull blocked down to make a 38 foot Cobra like Halpern raced. It is a Cigarette, as is the other boat in the photo. They appear to have a deck line of a 35 flat deck Mistress, not a 37.6 like Ajac Hawk was built in December of 1978. Doxford rented on of the MSV Cobras from Halpern to race in the Benihana one summer and had Willy Meyers as part of the crew then.

So there now have we solved it or made more questions to addle our ancient minds?

Also the Bounty Hunter shown in these photos is not a race boat, but a pleasure boat as evidenced by the hatches.

The Black Knight and the boat behind it are both the 41 Cigarettes Don was making.
    I know the Limit Up cobra that was hired you speak of.

The pleasure boat scenario appears credible as I noticed the lack of induction boxes on the hatches.I suppose the air for smaller engines could be sucked in through the hatch coamings.Nevertheless Doxford or whoever still must have thought they would race it at some point,judging by the race number.Better not hijack this thread anymore.

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Better not hijack this thread anymore.
    No problem. We need all the help we can possibly get to make sure we have accurate information. And a perusal of a picture out there that is missing information, or has possible bad information, is exactly what we want to correct. Bring it!!!!!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Who were you referring Charlie?