Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    For you Wanna-Be Electricians.....
    Electrical Wiring is NO HOBBY !!!! Dave (Yes, I am a 3 State Unlimited Electrical Contractor) Scary thing is....this happened to me one time but the Man Upstairs was looking over me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX9ktjqcMvM
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

2. Collapse Details

Whoa!! That'l make your weiner go limp!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Ive taken mild hits on 220, definately no fun. I use 3 phase electric on a daily basis and after watching a guy get the tops of his boots blown off, I dont touch it.

4. Collapse Details

A guy that used to work for me was killed last week. Hit an overhead line with and aluminum extension ladder. Apparently it blew all of his toes off and melted his boots to the ground all while his good friend was watching.

5. Collapse Details

I was putting in a new phones outlet once... the thought of the wires having power never occured to me as I was stripping the wires with my teeth.. I shall NEVER do that again..

Good rule to follow, if your checking to see if something is live, use the BACK of your hand, electricty makes your muscles contract that will pull your arms AWAY from the power, if you touch something live with your palm or fingers when your muscles contract you will grab a hold of whatever it i and not be able to let go. at least I remembered something from sub school.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

I had a three phase flash not long ago on 34.5 line, thats 34,500 volts and walked away without a scratch . Very lucky and good PPE.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I was putting in a new phones outlet once... the thought of the wires having power never occured to me as I was stripping the wires with my teeth.. I shall NEVER do that again..

Good rule to follow, if your checking to see if something is live, use the BACK of your hand, electricty makes your muscles contract that will pull your arms AWAY from the power, if you touch something live with your palm or fingers when your muscles contract you will grab a hold of whatever it i and not be able to let go. at least I remembered something from sub school.
    Oh Geeze.. that's only 90 volts when it rings. LOL It will wake you up though. Dave

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Formula 382 sr-1 View Post
    I had a three phase flash not long ago on 34.5 line, thats 34,500 volts and walked away without a scratch . Very lucky and good PPE.
    You are lucky!
    Do you still piss your pants and drool every time the phone rings?
    BillR

9. Collapse Details

registered
    Holy crap. Poor bastard.

------------

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    if you touch something live with your palm or fingers when your muscles contract you will grab a hold of whatever it i and not be able to let go. at least I remembered something from sub school.
    I'll stick with the voltmeter...After a couple jolts throughout the years, I get less and less daring with electricity.

10. Collapse Details

I got to watch a sign company employee lower a crane boom into a transmission line a couple weeks ago. BIG boom, BIG flash. Nobody hurt- other than it being his last day of employment

11. Collapse Details

I got 277/480 in the back of the neck one time.....I tasted copper in my mouth for days. That one hurt like hell !!! Dave

12. Collapse Details

Poor guy.

I hate electricity, I don't even like changing light switches in my house with the breaker off.

13. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula 382 sr-1 View Post
    I hope you ran out and bought lottery tickets! As an electrician myself, I know you were very lucky. PPE may be a PITA but its there for a reason.
    ________

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    Poor guy.

I hate electricity, I don't even like changing light switches in my house with the breaker off.
    I've changed out every switch and outlet in a house from Ivory to White (in metal boxes) without turning off a breaker.
    I was younger and dumber then.
    I'm quite a bit more cautious these days.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I hope you ran out and bought lottery tickets! As an electrician myself, I know you were very lucky. PPE may be a PITA but its there for a reason.
    Some of the new hybrid vehicles have 300+ volt batteries in them. PPEs could be lifesavers. Hopefully the fire/rescue/recovery personnel are aware of and trained for this stuff.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Yes I did but did not win. Safety Rules, PPE and knowledge are all I have . I had an Insulator fail on top of a ft pole no where to run in a 28"x28"x 4' bucket . I did have a TALL DRINK when I got home .

17. Collapse Details

I am "shocked" that we haven't had a discussion of volts vs. amps and discharge vs. charge.
    In my lineman days... they would do the hotdog burst display for a safety demo. One hot dog plus 480 equals a show.
    I did CATV splicing and was only ever injured in a fall. Electric was 2 feet overhead all day.

Later... doing big sound systems in bars with shaky 120v systems... would make home-made distros and direct connect them to the mains. Would drop an entire box of 20 amp Don't do this.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I am "shocked" that we haven't had a discussion of volts vs. amps and discharge vs. charge.
    In my lineman days... they would do the hotdog burst display for a safety demo. One hot dog plus 480 equals a show.
    I did CATV splicing and was only ever injured in a fall. Electric was 2 feet overhead all day.

Later... doing big sound systems in bars with shaky 120v systems... would make home-made distros and direct connect them to the mains. Would drop an entire box of 20 amp Don't do this.
    We transfered a pole today 40KV gloving 19980/34500 435amps at it's highest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S7300895.JPG  

19. Collapse Details

Sorry wrong pic's that was a 7620/13200 pole .

20. Collapse Details

That's crazy. But with ppe... heck. Pay attention, right?

I like to watch the TV shows with the guys who "bond on" from helos and transfer to the high lines. Dam. Perfect example of voltage and amperage not being at the same place at the same time.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.