Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Obese People are costing us money
    Angry
    I don't usually quote MSMBC, but they have a good article on the cost of obesity in this country.

Nearly 10 percent of health spending for obesity

Obesity's not just dangerous, it's expensive. New research shows medical spending averages $1,400 more a year for an obese person than someone who's normal weight.

Overall obesity-related health spending reaches $147 billion, double what it was nearly a decade ago, says the study published Monday by the journal Health Affairs.

Don't blame things like stomach-stapling for all those extra bills. They instead reflect the costs of treating diabetes, heart disease and other ailments far more common for the overweight, concluded the study by government scientists and the nonprofit research group RTI International.

Obesity-related conditions now account for 9.1 percent of all medical spending, up from 6.5 percent in 1998, the study concluded.

About a third of adult Americans are obese, and the obesity rate rose 37 percent between 1998 and 2006, the years covered by Monday's study

If you are obese and have an obesity related disease like diabetes or heart disease, then you should not get the "free" health care offered my Obama. I don't want to pay to treat your fat azz!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

2. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    I agree 100%. And they should be banned from ever wearing stretch pants again
    ________

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    I don't usually quote MSMBC, but they have a good article on the cost of obesity in this country.

Obesity's not just dangerous, it's expensive. New research shows medical spending averages $1,400 more a year for an obese person than someone who's normal weight.

Overall obesity-related health spending reaches $147 billion, double what it was nearly a decade ago, says the study published Monday by the journal Health Affairs.

Don't blame things like stomach-stapling for all those extra bills. They instead reflect the costs of treating diabetes, heart disease and other ailments far more common for the overweight, concluded the study by government scientists and the nonprofit research group RTI International.

Obesity-related conditions now account for 9.1 percent of all medical spending, up from 6.5 percent in 1998, the study concluded.

About a third of adult Americans are obese, and the obesity rate rose 37 percent between 1998 and 2006, the years covered by Monday's study

If you are obese and have an obesity related disease like diabetes or heart disease, then you should not get the "free" health care offered my Obama. I don't want to pay to treat your fat azz!
    There R so many just frik'n HUGE people wandering around & have ya seen some of the young kids these days!!! SAD!!

4. Collapse Details

I agree with the MSNBC article.

But not your decision to post that fat people need to die. Obviously you are not in the medical field. I'll stop there. I gave up pizzing contests for lent.

Somewhere in an alternate universe... some fat person is posting that man whores spread stds and should be killed. Man whores spread things like HPV and HSV. HPV leads to cervical cancer. They don't want to pay for man whores and the diseases spread by man whores. They think that man whores should be killed.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

5. Collapse Details

I think that's WAY low. Between heart disease, which is #1 and all the other maladies that are offshoots of obesity and lack of fitness, It's got to be a huge number

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I agree with the MSNBC article.

But not your decision to post that fat people need to die. Obviously you are not in the medical field. I'll stop there. I gave up pizzing contests for lent.

Somewhere in an alternate universe... some fat person is posting that man whores spread stds and should be killed. Man whores spread things like HPV and HSV. HPV leads to cervical cancer. They don't want to pay for man whores and the diseases spread by man whores. They think that man whores should be killed.
    I'm not saying that we should actively round them up and kill them. I am saying that they should not get "free" health care. They can either pay for their health care with their own money, or die!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

7. Collapse Details

I think insurance premiums should be determined by:

1) Do you smoke?.....X20 on your premium.
    2) Are you obese?....X10 on your premium.
    ________

8. Collapse Details

Lent is over... post away.

I agree it's a problem and I wouldn't want my tax dollars going for it but saying they need to die is a little extreme.
    I saw a boat once!

9. Collapse Details

diabetes can happen in people who arent obese. however, i agree, its wrong for the government to take from the people that have and give to the people who arent willing to work or get anything for themselves. shouldn't you start with getting rid of obama then work on the fat and lazy?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's got to be a huge number
    no pun there Buddy!!!!

11. Collapse Details

Clay is really going to hurt Stecz's feelings on this issue.......

12. Collapse Details

How much goes for smokers? how much did Peter angelos take from the Gov for that? between the gov and tobacco industry it was about 154 million.

What about alcohol, gov makes money off taxes, shouldn't that go for the ones that drink in excess? after all they are paying taxes on the liquor, beer or wine.

I get your point, but if the finger is to be pointed its not at the people, they are only taking what the gov gives them, stop the gov giving and the problem will eventually correct itself through better habits or attrition.

13. Collapse Details

registered
    Clay,
    I changed the title of your thread to something a little more appropriate. I hope you don't mind.......but that was a bit much

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
    attrition.
    ________

15. Collapse Details

registered
    No one should get free health care. Enough said.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    No one should get free health care. Enough said.
    Agreed.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it should be like car insurance.

You buy it, you take drugs/chain smoke/severly obese/ etc.

You lose it just like your car insurance if you have too many tickets......Or pay a tremendous premium.....

With 30% of the population obese, mine should be free.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

18. Collapse Details

I'm not saying that we should actively round them up and kill them. I am saying that they should not get "free" health care. They can either pay for their health care with their own money, or die!
    Nobody should get free health care. Like anything free... it invites abuse and favors the folks who don't contribute.
    It svcks that others have to pay for the health care of people who don't take care of themselves. And we already do.. indirectly. But, there are tons of "fat" people for a variety of reasons.
    It was the generalization in the title that bothered me more than the death part. But anyway... I had just read some stupid posts from some azzhats who don't know exactly who mails what, and in what quantity. Perhaps the man whore thing was a bit much.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Perhaps the man whore thing was a bit much.
    Naw, business promotion should be in the business section though.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I think insurance premiums should be determined by:

1) Do you smoke?.....X20 on your premium.
    2) Are you obese?....X10 on your premium.

Actually you need to reverse that...Obesity is actually worse than smoking.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership