1. Collapse Details
    Credit/Internet fraud alert
    Angry
    Some one can move this later to the appropriate spot.

Yesterday Am, I got a call from my bank, due to some strange activity on my business debit card. Several internet purchases was made the Night before. Late night, thus the flag went up. Told the bank that it’s fraudulent charges, investigation proceeding. Appleonline.com (+-$2K’s worth) and a few other sites were used. Some one have my account number, purchased computer etc. online. I called Apple ended up talking to some yo-yo half way around the world. I spent half the day yesterday in damage control with my banks. So far only one account had issues.
    At any rate, while talking to my banker, I was informed some disturbing news.
    A) Hotels, Big chains are ok, some small privately owned are trouble some, and I was just in Ft’ Lauderdale a few weeks ago in a BW, privately owned. Some staff, actually will “sell” your credit/debit info. Be careful. Also the credit card looking electronic keys have your info. They should be “de-magnetized” when turned in, but no guaranties that it will be done. KEEP THEM.
    B) Most of us purchased pictures, parts, stuff etc. in the boating environment. Aware of whom you are dealing.
    C) Gas stations, When you buy fuel, fill up, leave, the next guy could have a “reader” and on some stations they can get your info.
    D) X-mas shopping. Big risk. Many small vendors with their little tent, (Sunglasses, cheap jewelry, Ipod/phone access. Calendars, etc. etc. they are there for one reason. To get YOUR info.
    Not much can be done with a little pease of $hit hacking into your computer.
    This sux, so just FYI and heads up.
    Banks suggestion. Have a card only for internet use, and misc. use. Low limit and transfer funds as needed.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

2. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Peter , their is also a machine . about the size of a small tissue box,,where someone can stand next to you and get the info off your card ,,just by " standing " next to you,,it,s the new credit cards that have the little bellchime on them,,,,the banks suggest you wrap them in aluminum foil ,,then put them into your wallet,,welcome to E-COMMERCE,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Peter , their is also a machine . about the size of a small tissue box,,where someone can stand next to you and get the info off your card ,,just by " standing " next to you,,it,s the new credit cards that have the little bellchime on them,,,,the banks suggest you wrap them in aluminum foil ,,then put them into your wallet,,welcome to E-COMMERCE,,
    I saw a commercial last night for aluminum wallets.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Some one can move this later to the appropriate spot.

Yesterday Am, I got a call from my bank, due to some strange activity on my business debit card. Several internet purchases was made the Night before. Late night, thus the flag went up. Told the bank that it’s fraudulent charges, investigation proceeding. Appleonline.com (+-$2K’s worth) and a few other sites were used. Some one have my account number, purchased computer etc. online. I called Apple ended up talking to some yo-yo half way around the world. I spent half the day yesterday in damage control with my banks. So far only one account had issues.
    At any rate, while talking to my banker, I was informed some disturbing news.
    A) Hotels, Big chains are ok, some small privately owned are trouble some, and I was just in Ft’ Lauderdale a few weeks ago in a BW, privately owned. Some staff, actually will “sell” your credit/debit info. Be careful. Also the credit card looking electronic keys have your info. They should be “de-magnetized” when turned in, but no guaranties that it will be done. KEEP THEM.
    B) Most of us purchased pictures, parts, stuff etc. in the boating environment. Aware of whom you are dealing.
    C) Gas stations, When you buy fuel, fill up, leave, the next guy could have a “reader” and on some stations they can get your info.
    D) X-mas shopping. Big risk. Many small vendors with their little tent, (Sunglasses, cheap jewelry, Ipod/phone access. Calendars, etc. etc. they are there for one reason. To get YOUR info.
    Not much can be done with a little pease of $hit hacking into your computer.
    This sux, so just FYI and heads up.
    Banks suggestion. Have a card only for internet use, and misc. use. Low limit and transfer funds as needed.
    Sorry about that Peter. It's always something we gotta watch for. They keep making opportunities for scammers.

I think that number C suggestion may be inaccurate. I think that they need to place a fake reader on top of the reader installed in the pump. I think that once your transaction goes through, they can't stick anything in there and get it out. ATMs have the same risk of an "extra" card reader, too.

5. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    A huge risk is at sit-down restaurants. You give your card to a complete stranger and they disappear to run the charge. But they could also be coping your CC numbers for future use, including the special number on the back of the card. The only way to protect yourself is to watch the card anytime its not in your hands.
    ________

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    you will be able to purchase anything using your mobile device in the near future. i.e. iPhone, Blackberry, etc.
    Boat-less...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    you will be able to purchase anything using your mobile device in the near future. i.e. iPhone, Blackberry, etc.
    do you realize how easy it is to lose a phone...
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

8. Collapse Details

I scratch out the 3 digit number on the back of my card.
    I can usually remember it from memory anyways.

9. Collapse Details

I always write "CHECK I.D." on the back of my credit card instead of a signature, but it amazes me how few people actually ask to see an I.D.
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

10. Collapse Details

I only use AmEx anymore.

Everytime (5) I get wacked, they call me before I see it on my statement.
    Hey, it was $1200 worth of NCAA jerseys online last month.

Amex; No problem, it's been blocked, no charge and the new card is overnight'ed.

The scammers are going to get you. So know how your card protects you.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom1 View Post
    I always write "CHECK I.D." on the back of my credit card instead of a signature, but it amazes me how few people actually ask to see an I.D.
    I did that for years. Then I learned that technically (not likely, but technically) your card can be refused if not signed prior to being presented for use. I was surprised by that. I guess it's in the fine print.

12. Collapse Details

I write the check ID on mine too.
    RARELY does it get looked at.
    Only once at BEST BUY was I told that they could not accept it.
    5-6 years ago.
    Been there since and no problem now.

13. Collapse Details

I work for my families controled business and use the credit cards all the time with permission, but some are in my Dads name. I'll get asked for id and never has any one denied my use of those cards. Same last name but different first name. Car Rentals, hotels and even airlines let me charge on those cards. I make deposits in the corp account nearly every day, have to use teller, so most times I'll take cash from my money in the same bank.

My bank has new credit and debit cards with a micro chip that is hard to copy. Both cards also use a pin number. Little extra security.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    I just tuck mine up under my tinfoil helmet. I figure that hat is the only thing that kept me from being forced into rooting for the Yankees by Steinbrenner's mind control sattelites...

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."