Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDavid View Post
    Congratulations! What a test of man and machine, of commitment, of desire, truly what the origins of Offshore racing were made of. Hats off to you little Sonic, and to Rich and Charlie for converting the realities (brutality) of the event into a wonderful read.
    Steve U-1
    Steve....Thank you , truly humbling coming from a great racer like your self. hope to see you at OFF in October.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklt1 View Post
    And to bad these guys didnt show up saturday that would of really made things interesting...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7vurWhdgFE
    I tried my best to persuade them........Nothing has ever flown over the seas quite like the "Ghost".
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details
    Little Sonic that that "did"
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    FYI

This really means something, coming from one of the greatest true boat racers the sport has ever seen.

.... Thanks Buddy

P.S. Steve....Please come to OFF in Jupiter, FL on Oct 8th and 9th.....I know you will have a blast and I'd love to see you. Maybe we can even find a Mexican restaurant......
    Hey Rich, If I'm in town you're on, and it would have to be Mexican
    You know what struck me about your reportage of the event, isn't so much who won or lost, it was the effort involved, the going against the odds and coming out the other side with a deep sense of having done something pretty cool in a boat. It isn't so much winning or losing, as having done it. I was reminded of the people in our past who did it for the challenge to themselves moreso than for a flag or check.
    Steve

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    My wife and I are having dinner tonight with Dean Gibbs and his wife. Dean is the British team owner with the 52 foot Outerlimits that raced last weekend Around Long Island. We met for a short time today and he said that he already has texts and e-mails from other owners in Europe and the UK, that he feels they will be coming back next year with at least four teams, to get that trophy and bring it back to Europe.
    The dinner was quite enlightening. The Brits are very serious about getting a real offshore world circuit going again. They were very impressed with Billy Frenz and his satellite beacons on each boat. They use a similar system but said this one was much better. They loved the location that Guy La Motta provided.

They loved the fact that this is so close to NYC and could be used by many potential sponsors, to really make an impact with their marketing promotions, and showcase their products to a major part of the US population and center of influence.

They in short would like to make this Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race as one of their races on the world circuit. The others would be, Cowes - Torquay and the London to Monte Carlo. They are unearthing many of the old trophies they have over there and will be using them for victories in various classes.

And don't forget, they are putting on the Around Britain Race in 2011.

We of course, would not have many competitors who would travel the world like that, but at least we would know that we are competiting agsinst the very best that Europe has to offer when they race here in the States.

For our own circuit, we would want to limit it, to no more than four races spread over a year. The New York race, one in the Great Lakes, we already have an offer to help with that one. One in California....hopefully we can work with a group out there. And last but not least, Florida.

Any offshore racers out there that like this idea???
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Hey Rich, If I'm in town you're on, and it would have to be Mexican
    You know what struck me about your reportage of the event, isn't so much who won or lost, it was the effort involved, the going against the odds and coming out the other side with a deep sense of having done something pretty cool in a boat. It isn't so much winning or losing, as having done it. I was reminded of the people in our past who did it for the challenge to themselves moreso than for a flag or check.
    Steve
    Quite a few of them will be at OFF....

Odell Lewis, John Bakos, Dave Craig, Brownie, Ken Kitson, Steve Sirois, Jim Emerson, Tom Stickle, Bill Seebold, Bob Saccenti, Bobby Sheer, Jim Hunt,...........and all the South Florida boys you grew up with in Miami Marine Stadium.....

Besides if you're nice to me....maybe you could squeeze into this....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FPW10D46CNY-1289[2].jpg  
    Allergic to Nonsense

6. Collapse Details

Very exciting news Charlie.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    As for T2X - I knew to keep my mouth SHUT - when in the Helicopter - His ability to explain, and be interesting, and funny were the reasons NNRT was simply the best at the time !
    Phil
    I remember those days too.......except the part about you keeping quiet....
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Thanks for the write-ups Rich/Charlie!!! This is what racing is all about!

Kent

9. Collapse Details

Miami-Key West
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

10. Collapse Details

Congratulations! What a test of man and machine, of commitment, of desire, truly what the origins of Offshore racing were made of. Hats off to you little Sonic, and to Rich and Charlie for converting the realities (brutality) of the event into a wonderful read.
    Steve U-1
    Thank you Steve(and everyone else)...It has been four days now since the race, and great drivers like yourself have been congratulating me every day, much to my surprise.

I had no idea when I decided to begin prepping my boat for this event where it would end...I just knew beyond all else this was my Everest and I had to finish at all costs; well I finished, and it seems like I started (something) too. I'm sure all the talk of a real offshore series was on going before I came along but if my little boat ride helps fuel the fire then so be it. Lets get out the gasoline and get this thing going....Charlie and Rich you guys are great thanks again....I'll never forget Rich saying to me just after I got out of the boat, and explaining to him what I had for power and drives,"you did something historic" it's a feeling very few people will ever get to feel and I am privileged and honored to be a part of a select few who have accomplished this. PS - Charlie I made $2.00 today

11. Collapse Details

Is this record holder?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0338.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    Is this record holder?
    no......

The record was set 21 years ago.....the boat in your picture is about 7 years old..... Stu and Joey set the record in a 32 Skater classic with twin 600's.
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

For our own circuit, we would want to limit it, to no more than four races spread over a year. The New York race, one in the Great Lakes, we already have an offer to help with that one. One in California....hopefully we can work with a group out there. And last but not least, Florida.

Any offshore racers out there that like this idea???

Yep I am the guy to do the great lakes event. I would be honored to work with the legends on this. Charlie and I have talked about this a few times. I think it is something we could achieve

My wife and I have put on a couple of races here in the early 2000s and my partner Bob and I put on Smoke On The Water poker Run from 2001 to 2006 I attended the races run here in the eighties and have been a performance boater for over 30 years I think we are qualified to make the attempt it just becomes a matter of working in the logistics both physical and financial

We have been talking about two courses to run here. If logistics permit it would be great to run from Grand Haven Michigan to Milwaukee Wisconsin and back. (Real Offshore Michigan race) If not then we would run from Grand Haven down to South Haven Michigan Turn around and run to Muskegon Michigan then back to Grand Haven (old route ran in the 80s) This could become a great group of races that utilize guts, tenacity, talent, and a bit of insanity It could be called something like the
    “Running rough in the Big Stuff Series” 

Race Catch Phrase “If you come wearing your skirt you are sure to get hurt” 
    or “Big Seas are not for Wussies “

one last one “ Going in circles is for NASCAR” LOL 

Hope this can be made in to a real series and show the true metal of man and machine

Rich will Luhr us in, and Charlie will be the Top Banana :Let go racing Offshore style

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatme View Post
    Yep I am the guy to do the great lakes event. I would be honored to work with the legends on this. Charlie and I have talked about this a few times. I think it is something we could achieve

My wife and I have put on a couple of races here in the early 2000s and my partner Bob and I put on Smoke On The Water poker Run from 2001 to 2006 I attended the races run here in the eighties and have been a performance boater for over 30 years I think we are qualified to make the attempt it just becomes a matter of working in the logistics both physical and financial

We have been talking about two courses to run here. If logistics permit it would be great to run from Grand Haven Michigan to Milwaukee Wisconsin and back. (Real Offshore Michigan race) If not then we would run from Grand Haven down to South Haven Michigan Turn around and run to Muskegon Michigan then back to Grand Haven (old route ran in the 80s) This could become a great group of races that utilize guts, tenacity, talent, and a bit of insanity It could be called something like the
    “Running rough in the Big Stuff Series” 

Race Catch Phrase “If you come wearing your skirt you are sure to get hurt” 
    or “Big Seas are not for Wussies “

one last one “ Going in circles is for NASCAR” LOL 

Hope this can be made in to a real series and show the true metal of man and machine

Rich will Luhr us in, and Charlie will be the Top Banana :Let go racing Offshore style
    Marc....Thank you very much. We have some momentum going here now. I have had a lot of e-mails from people who want to do the race next year. Many have said they could not afford to run a complete circuit, but would love to race if there was something like this real racing again in thier neighborhood.

HORBA is looking for courses at least 200 miles long with places for folks to stop along the way for refueling if needed. If we have enough that need refueling, we could make a separate class for them.

15. Collapse Details

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE THE SONIC TO COMPLETE THE RACE?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD View Post
    HOW LONG DID IT TAKE THE SONIC TO COMPLETE THE RACE?
    6 hrs 15 min

17. Collapse Details

Charlie if we run to Milwaukee we will have to change your name from Top Banana to The Big Cheese LOL

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatme View Post
    Charlie if we run to Milwaukee we will have to change your name from Top Banana to The Big Cheese LOL
    My wife and will leave our Harleys at the factory in Milwaukee, in case I break down and need a ride back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mom and dad cycling (Medium).jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    HORBA is looking for courses at least 200 miles long with places for folks to stop along the way for refueling if needed. If we have enough that need refueling, we could make a separate class for them.
    Charlie:

Let's not repeat the same mistakes that have bedeviled us for decades..... Adding separate classes has always diluted the overall competition model. I would simply make stopping for fuel optional...but it's the racer's responsibility as far as any time lost in the process.

Frankly, this needs to be as simple as possible..... Limit the classes to 5 or 6....internal combustion only.

Just my .02, we are starting with a clean sheet of paper. At least we should try to avoid the mistakes that put the sport in the backwaters it sits in today.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Were and when are the next races?