Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

Happy to hear that we have so many that share our vision of what it should look like.

I will be speaking with some people at the Miami boat show in regards to the latest pricing on power, drives, props and the latest layup changes.

What I am thinking of for a personal play boat, would be a 700 HP, simple cabin, 5 pack bolster for a retail of under $100K

Without power, under $60K

Feedback......
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

I think in the current market that pricing is pretty damn good!!
    Honestly, I think it would be hard to build for that price.
    What do you have in mind for gauges/controls? Tabs? Steering? Exhaust?
    Last edited by Buoy; 02-01-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

That's a pretty good price. The thing I always worry about restoring older hulls , is the fuel tank and transom. You're looking at a brand new hull, with new technology for $60K.....it's a no worries deal to me.
    Parabellum FJ²B

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post

Happy to hear that we have so many that share our vision of what it should look like.

I will be speaking with some people at the Miami boat show in regards to the latest pricing on power, drives, props and the latest layup changes.

What I am thinking of for a personal play boat, would be a 700 HP, simple cabin, 5 pack bolster for a retail of under $100K

Feedback......

That would be great! At that pricing I think it would be a very popular boat. A simple cabin is all that's necessary for a 28'. Again I look to the Pantera and Saber as great examples. Give me enough storage space for a couple of over-night bags, room for a cooler and a spot for a porta-pot and I'm all good. And I'd rather have a little more length in the v-berth/bed than long benches.....just sayin'. In most 28's the v-berth is a little short making sleeping for 2 a little cramped. An extra foot or so there would be nice.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post

Feedback......
    That would be a heck of a price based on what I know of the other boats out there in that size.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    That would be a heck of a price based on what I know of the other boats out there in that size.
    I would say comparable boats are in the $150-175,000 range.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Now you have to decide about steps, or no steps.....

8. Collapse Details

Looks like I will need to firm up the power prices a bit more when I get to the show. I have heard from several other builders that my pricing guessestimate is a bit on the low side,

Seems that a full race package Ilmor 700+ HP and Indy drive would be closer to $85,000 with a prop and steering.

So, before I dig any other holes, let me get some definite pricing on both power and new layup schedules.

I still remember the days when we bought 280 TRS packages for $3,400. Just add a prop and you were in business.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I believe the most reasonably priced package out there currently is the 520 Merc package. List about $44,000, dealer cost just over $30,000 I've heard.

10. Collapse Details

I believe the most reasonably priced package out there currently is the 520 Merc package. List about $44,000, dealer cost just over $30,000 I've heard.
    Not sure if the speed we could get out of a 520 package would be attractive enough for buyers.

If so, then say $44,000 power and $60,000 for boat ready to be rigged, we would be just over $100,000. Brand new everything rather than spending $100K for a used something or other and tHen the rebuilds to make it work correctly.

Is there a market for this kind of product?

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    On the underpowered side of your thoughts. I realize the modified Outerlimits 29 bottom is probably the current fastest bottom in a straight line out there. But, with a stock 525 in race trim that boat is still over 90 mph. Both the 520 and the 525 are rated at the propshaft I believe, so the performance differences should not be all that great (ask rthe Merc guys at the show). If you are seriously considering stepping the bottom and tweaking it similar to the Chief, I really think you could have a boat that goes over 80 for sure with the single 520. In a non-step, most likely not.

But, as I still believe, it is not the all out top speed that is the most important thing when considering your "dream" 28' boat. It is the overall practicality of cabin, amenities, towability, price, fuel usage, all water types capability, and cruise speed. I have to believe that is a 60+ mph cruise boat which gets you where you want to go at average road speeds in a car.

Also, don't forget, if you add a swim platform to the boat, it's a 30' you're now selling.

12. Collapse Details

80 MPH top end with a 60 MPH cruise is the sweet spot .
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Also, don't forget, if you add a swim platform to the boat, it's a 30' you're now selling.
    NO IT'S NOT!!! IT'S A 28' BOAT WITH A SWIMSTEP!!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

14. Collapse Details

But, as I still believe, it is not the all out top speed that is the most important thing when considering your "dream" 28' boat. It is the overall practicality of cabin, amenities, towability, price, fuel usage, all water types capability, and cruise speed. I have to believe that is a 60+ mph cruise boat which gets you where you want to go at average road speeds in a car.

You are preaching my gospel, apostle Paul.

15. Collapse Details

Okay then off to Miami to dig out fact from fiction re what these power packages really cost and what it actually takes to get to those speeds.

Not sure if we could market a 500 HP package for 100K that needs a $10,000 prop to get to those speeds.....or a boat that can reach those speeds, but takes two and half miles to get on plane and only runs on AV gas.

Back in the day ....at the start of a race when we were loaded with 500 plus gallons of gas........we had to trick the boat into believing it was a flat bottom to get on plane. We would start off with the throttles pushed further and further forward until the boat stopped gaining momentum....then we would flip the boat hard over on the side to actually get the boat to start to plane on the flat surface of the bottom of the vee. As it climbed up and picked up speed we would flip it back upright and be off to the start line.

Most racers would just circle around and around and never come back off plane again in fear of not being able to get,up in time for the start. BUT as we know now...Copeland not seeing Halpern and crushing him in his cockpit while waiting for the start of a race...it was really dangerous.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    80 MPH top end with a 60 MPH cruise is the sweet spot .
    The Sweet Spot??? Really?, I guess that I've been looking in the wrong spot - which explains an awful lot.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

17. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You should be having some interesting conversations in Miami....