Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by high-tide View Post
    The thing that gets me is that my Canadian buddies think he is the best thing to ever happen to America.......
    HT
    I have heard the same thing from my customers in the UK, France, Japan and Korea. This despite the fact that I avoid politics and religion when talking business.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

2. Collapse Details

The thing that gets me is that my Canadian buddies think he is the best thing to ever happen to America.......
    HT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    I have heard the same thing from my customers in the UK, France, Japan and Korea. This despite the fact that I avoid politics and religion when talking business.
    It makes sense if you understand that people outside our borders general view Bush very poorly.
    They live in their own countries and focus on their own economies and look into the US like they're viewing a fishbowl at the dentist. They are not emotionally tied into the politics, just how our country effects them. In their eyes, Obama slinging money around to save banks, bailout automakers and stimulate the economy has benefited them too.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I can't think of any job more taxing or stressful than that of the presidency. And even the best of them are mere mortals. And if you think about it, the job has to be so much more complex. Just jumping back to Eisenhower- how simple were world events then? Even back to Clinton- so much of the garbage we are dealing with today was in it's infancy just that brief time ago.

They deserve some R&R. They need it to be clear and focused. But for Christ's sake, can't the media be fair and even-tempered about it?
    Agreed. When this guy goes on vacation seems like there is ALWAYS some crisis. When he went to Nantucket Kennedy Died, Europe (I think it was?) the shootings. Hawaii, the plane bombing. Crazy really.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCat View Post
    like they're viewing a fishbowl at the dentist. .
    I resemble that remark!!!!!

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    HT
    A lot of people have said that the one thing he has been successful at is changing the way the USA is thought of around the world.

And thats important.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    A lot of people have said that the one thing he has been successful at is changing the way the USA is thought of around the world.

And thats important.
    Yea, the terrorists see as an easy target now.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

7. Collapse Details

And thats important.
    I could care less what the rest of the world thinks of us.

What I care about is OUR citizens having jobs and being able to put food on the tables for their families.

8. Collapse Details

actually no, democratic countries are turning away in droves. their new heroes are China, Iran, and Venezuela. when the obonger went to the global warming summit he was shunned. Turkey ,Brazil, and India are closer to authoritarian regimes than ever before.
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post

What I care about is OUR citizens having jobs and being able to put food on the tables for their families.
    And there lies a significant problem.

10. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    actually no, democratic countries are turning away in droves. their new heroes are China, Iran, and Venezuela. when the obonger went to the global warming summit he was shunned. Turkey ,Brazil, and India are closer to authoritarian regimes than ever before.
    I'm sorry, but I dont see any justification for that view. We are shunned at global warming conferences because much of the world believes us to be "for global warming"
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post

There will always be plenty of people that hate us simply because we're an easy target. And there are others that are going to hate us because we oppose their beliefs. Our freedoms, our support of Israel and so on. We're not going to win. But we've also done plenty of short-sighted things in our time that have often come back to haunt us.

We drove the Soviets out of Afghanistan, only to abandon the country. Thus allowing all of what happened in the ensuing decade and a half. And we're about to drive the latest problem out, only to walk away again.

The list of strategic international mis-steps we've stumbled on is long and distinguished. And we never learn from it.

12. Collapse Details

And thats important.
    Actually I'm sure there are lot's of people that think we are weaker because of weaker leadership. And that is partially correct. And the problem with having people think we are weak is they will try to push their own agenda and try to advance themselves on the world stage figuring we can not or will not do anything about it. This has been the bane of Democratic presidents in the modern era. Kennedy- Bay of Pigs, Viet nam. Johnson- VN. Carter- Iran, Afghanistan. Clinton Bosnia, Iraq, and the birth of Al Qaeda. Now Obama will be faced with Iran, N Korea, AlQaeda, and a strengthening Russia. And I think that people in other parts of the world thought this was a new kind of President. A man of the world with a vision more like theirs, a more Euro outlook. But as the incompetence of the Administration spreads in big and little ways they have lost confidence.

And that's important too.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    Yea, the terrorists see as an easy target now.
    And he will apologize for anything and everything...

I could give a rat's a$$ what some foreigner's think of the United States of America....There are very few countries around the world that I have in high regards, most of them do what's good for their countries and don't give a damn what America thinks...

Does anyone here actually think France, Germany, Russia or China care what we think of their policies or governments...They don't and why should we care either what they think of us....

The countries that whine the loudest are the non-powers little guy's who want to be heard and thought of as one of the big ones when they are not...

Here's a little story on what France's President thinks of Obama and his call for nuclear disarmament at the UN Security Council meeting he decided to chair. (did a Cat "cut and paste"...lol)

http://biggovernment.com/2009/09/25/...llo-big-media/

by Maura Flynn

"For reasons yet to be determined, the National Post appears to have de-linked their own front page story on their website. Mr. Spillius reported a similar (albeit watered-down) version in the UK’s Telegraph.

Obama: “We must never stop until we see the day when nuclear arms have been banished from the face of the earth.”

Sarkozy: “We live in the real world, not the virtual world. And the real world expects us to take decisions.”

The rest of Sarkozy’s remarks were, well, remarkable:

“President Obama dreams of a world without weapons … but right in front of us two countries are doing the exact opposite.

“Iran since 2005 has flouted five security council resolutions. North Korea has been defying council resolutions since 1993.

“I support the extended hand of the Americans, but what good has proposals for dialogue brought the international community? More uranium enrichment and declarations by the leaders of Iran to wipe a UN member state off the map,” he continued, referring to Israel.

The sharp-tongued French leader even implied that Mr Obama’s resolution 1887 had used up valuable diplomatic energy.

“If we have courage to impose sanctions together it will lend viability to our commitment to reduce our own weapons and to making a world without nuke weapons,” he said.

Mr Sarkozy has previously called the US president’s disarmament crusade “naive.”

No American newspapers seem to have featured Sarkozy’s justifiably derisive remarks about Obama’s naivete regarding the realities of nuclear technology. Still we can be grateful for the freedom of the press, as embodied and celebrated by the Newseum — including the chilling reconstruction of segments of the Berlin Wall. These serve as a reminder that however oppressive or myopic the powers-that-be, news cannot be stifled."

14. Collapse Details

And thats important.

I hate to break this to you but we don't really give a chit what the rest of the world thinks about us.

15. Collapse Details

Registered
    ....There are very few countries around the world that I have in high regards, most of them do what's good for their countries and don't give a damn what America thinks...

Do you not think others might think the same about the USA ??

In the end the whole world that believes in democracy finds itself a situation that is unwinnable.
    There is no finality coming out of the war with terrorists that will satisfy the west. Never going to happen.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I can't think of any job more taxing or stressful than that of the presidency. And even the best of them are mere mortals. And if you think about it, the job has to be so much more complex. Just jumping back to Eisenhower- how simple were world events then? Even back to Clinton- so much of the garbage we are dealing with today was in it's infancy just that brief time ago.

They deserve some R&R. They need it to be clear and focused. But for Christ's sake, can't the media be fair and even-tempered about it?
    Chris we both have our "names on the door" when you go on vacation for some r/r what do you come back to....Twice as much work he wanted this you or I would not have taken a day off in the first year.

17. Collapse Details

....There are very few countries around the world that I have in high regards, most of them do what's good for their countries and don't give a damn what America thinks...

Do you not think others might think the same about the USA ??

In the end the whole world that believes in democracy finds itself a situation that is unwinnable.
    There is no finality coming out of the war with terrorists that will satisfy the west. Never going to happen.
    Your right the war on terror will never end that is why we need to be feared by our enemies.

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
    Your right the war on terror will never end that is why we need to be feared by our enemies.
    Through no fault of your own you will never be feared by your enemies. Never again, and thats the problem. And thats why this is all unwinnable.

Fear to an enemy has to include the threat of personal and family demise..and those that you are at war with welcome death.

Unfortunate place to be in.

19. Collapse Details

Fear to an enemy has to include the threat of personal and family demise..and those that you are at war with welcome death.
    I would be happy to drive the Welcome Wagon

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Lets have a few guys post what they feel is SUCCESS in regards to what is happening overseas today.

Forget how you got there. It doesnt matter. Describe to me what is the best that can come out of the current situation.