Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    so it will be in the water by tuesday??
    Some tuesday.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Some tuesday.
    Queen of Bammin'

6. Collapse Details

Since I am so close to having the engines finished... I might as well tear the interior out and cut the tank out and replace it, huh?

Amazing that the loncoin was put in new last year and the boat wasn't used... then I stored it inside.

Note: don't use wood on a boat. Do use stainless steel. Do not leave the boat uncovered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0633.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

On the other hand, two boxes of AFR joy with Inconel inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0630.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

I dudn't know you needed to do the tank..lemme know when you put it back in...I would like to learn the process...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I dudn't know you needed to do the tank..lemme know when you put it back in...I would like to learn the process...
    I didn't know either until I dried the bilge completely for the painting and glassing stuff. but it must be leaking. Gas doesn't have too many sources.
    The current plan is to cut this one out with a grinder (it is bigger than the cover of course) and put a slightly smaller one in. I think I will take it to a buddy's shop and have him do the cutting because that would be pushing my luck with the neighbors. I can do the re-install though. I don't want to cut the liner, so I am happier with a smaller tank. It will still be around 120 gallons.

10. Collapse Details

How many gallons is your stock tank? Mine has a label on it that says 120, so if you think you'll retain that much, maybe your original one has more capacity???

JCG

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    How many gallons is your stock tank? Mine has a label on it that says 120, so if you think you'll retain that much, maybe your original one has more capacity???

JCG
    Hi J,

I don't know. It has no label anymore. I have a copy of Bill's survey when he bought it from the original owner in 2008. It states that it is a "reported 135." (Meaning that Aaron Pullen told the surveyor 135.) I had a 128 in my stinger.
    135 is an unusual number (odd too ) but the guys who know say that they put in what they had on hand, to an extent. This one went in under the cockpit deck. The tank cover is smaller than the tank. When I can get a measurement of the tank out of the boat I will know for sure. But, my point is that because of the liner and the relative good shape of the liner I don't want to cut it. I would rather lose a few gallons than cut it. I am not going to cruise at 80. And when I spend a day running fast, like a poker run, I will buy more gas. My leisure destinations are within 45 miles or I am trailering and dropping in. I saw how much was hanging under, and I know how big a 5 gallon can is.... and I am good as visualizing... ok at math.... I say that I lose 8 gallons, maybe 10. I am anxious to see what I have.... but I know that any boat built in Miami can lose a few gallons and exceed my nearshore great lake needs.

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi J,

I don't know. It has no label anymore. I have a copy of Bill's survey when he bought it from the original owner in 2008. It states that it is a "reported 135." (Meaning that Aaron Pullen told the surveyor 135.) I had a 128 in my stinger.
    135 is an unusual number (odd too ) but the guys who know say that they put in what they had on hand, to an extent. This one went in under the cockpit deck. The tank cover is smaller than the tank. When I can get a measurement of the tank out of the boat I will know for sure. But, my point is that because of the liner and the relative good shape of the liner I don't want to cut it. I would rather lose a few gallons than cut it. I am not going to cruise at 80. And when I spend a day running fast, like a poker run, I will buy more gas. My leisure destinations are within 45 miles or I am trailering and dropping in. I saw how much was hanging under, and I know how big a 5 gallon can is.... and I am good as visualizing... ok at math.... I say that I lose 8 gallons, maybe 10. I am anxious to see what I have.... but I know that any boat built in Miami can lose a few gallons and exceed my nearshore great lake needs.
    No one makes an inflatable bladder option for boat tanks???
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    No one makes an inflatable bladder option for boat tanks???
    It just felt wrong. I will make the final decision based on what the dimensions are (were), but I am willing to lose a small percent. I think that using a new tank, and avoiding cutting the liner at the base is the right thing for a piece like this one.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

14. Collapse Details

So are you cutting up the existing tank to remove it? Just trying to make sure I got this right.
    Sorry to hear you're running into this John. Major kick in the goobies.
    I don't have an access panel in my boat, so if I ever have a problem, I would imagine the entire floor would have to come out to access the tank.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    So are you cutting up the existing tank to remove it? Just trying to make sure I got this right.
    Sorry to hear you're running into this John. Major kick in the goobies.
    I don't have an access panel in my boat, so if I ever have a problem, I would imagine the entire floor would have to come out to access the tank.
    Yep. Cutting out the old tank. I didn't think that there was a tank cover, but I used a mirror in the valve access to look across the space between the tank top and the floor bottom and saw a rim and a stray screw. Give away. I slit the loncoin down the back, behind where the rear seat goes, and found the cover edge.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

16. Collapse Details

Yep. Cutting out the old tank. I didn't think that there was a tank cover, but I used a mirror in the valve access to look across the space between the tank top and the floor bottom and saw a rim and a stray screw. Give away. I slit the loncoin down the back, behind where the rear seat goes, and found the cover edge.
    Time for the sweaty, grungy clothes... and lots of beer and don't forget occasionally water.
    Hope it doesn't turn into to big of a nightmare.
    I imagine you're gonna have to have it custom welded/sized from the supplier, yes? Have you spoke to anyone about a lead time for it?

17. Collapse Details

Time for the sweaty, grungy clothes... and lots of beer and don't forget occasionally water.
    Yeah, that describes the removal of the entire freaking cockpit and the flooring. But I am pretty sure that I will have a buddy with a shop cut the tank out and I'll take it back over. I don't want to subject the neighbors to that much angle grinder action. It will be LOUD. I want them to still like me when the engines are in. Plus... if I can get the cutting alone done while I work on something else.... even better.
    Hope it doesn't turn into to big of a nightmare.
    Too late. Besides, they always do. But I like the sound of new engines, new tank on a 20 year old boat. New engines, old tank with crap in it that's leaking... not so much.
    I imagine you're gonna have to have it custom welded/sized from the supplier, yes? Have you spoke to anyone about a lead time for it?
    Yes. Custom. I have seen as little as one week. But I just got a lead from a friend with the hookup and they are in Ohio. The sooner I can get a size the better.

18. Collapse Details

I don't want to subject the neighbors to that much angle grinder action. It will be LOUD. I want them to still like me when the engines are in.
    Wow, you have neighbors that like you? I've never been so fortunate. I wonder if it's me

19. Collapse Details

Wow, you have neighbors that like you? I've never been so fortunate. I wonder if it's me
    Yeah, apparently I am fine in person.

In all seriousness, the boat is two feet from the neighbor's property. I don't think that an angle grinder for two hours would be appropriate. Maybe during the workday. But I think that one of my neighbors may work nights. So...

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are you filling the tank with water before you grind on it????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!