Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    Yes we did. Every race had at least 1 long offshore leg. Navigation was an integral part of offshore racing. It still should be. This class that everyone is arguing about should be a great thing. These are exactly the types of boats that should be providing the most competitive racing. I would bet you that if you just let all of these guys race on a long course, they would be ultra-competitive with each other. No GPS, no breakouts. Just man and machinge against the elements. That would make for one hell of a race.
    Interesting, but how would you insure the safety of the course. We can't get enough patrol boats for a short course let alone helos or med boats.

2. Collapse Details

longer course, less time spent in corners, less chance to spin..........
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    Yes we did. Every race had at least 1 long offshore leg. Navigation was an integral part of offshore racing. It still should be. This class that everyone is arguing about should be a great thing. These are exactly the types of boats that should be providing the most competitive racing. I would bet you that if you just let all of these guys race on a long course, they would be ultra-competitive with each other. No GPS, no breakouts. Just man and machinge against the elements. That would make for one hell of a race.
    YEE HA !!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    longer course, less time spent in corners, less chance to spin..........
    I like that idea!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    I like that idea!
    I can tell you that the run to Bimini and back was great and would have been even better had there been a bunch of other SVL's runinng as an actual race. Not much of a spectator deal but it probably would make a better TV show. And since spectators do not pay anything to watch anyway, I am not sure it matters.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    just curious George..what 4 others? You and Steve. who else? If your gonna come on here, whine and expect others to feel bad for you, please tell the whole story. Not just what you want them to know.

You did not show up for the race. You missed race one and now Smitty calls you and invites you up and tells you the fountain is not there and Fridays race was only an exhibition, which was untrue by the way. Now all of the sudden, you feel you can take the title and whatever purse there is, you want to come race. Hmmm, sounds selfish to me. But then again its was always about you anyway. Why should we expect anything different.
    Let me just clear this up, and then I am out of this topic for life.
    The SVL's told me fridays race would not count that they were going to run a scripted race. And by the way, a great show it was. Even Bob Teague announcing on the radio, thought it was for real. Thanks great idea. especially for the filming.
    It was I who called George and Mike A. I informed them that the class would only score on sunday. Why not have more boats. That's my job. Unfortunately the class did not agree. More between the lines than I knew.
    Sorry George for making you ride all over Florida on Saturday.
    Long story short, lots of mixed emotions amongst the competitors in SVL. My advice, get your house in order. There are three other OPA teams considering building or buying an SVL. All are afraid to commit for obvious reasons. Great class, great people, get it together for the fans. See you later, on vacation, Smitty.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    A Scripted Race ?
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 10-20-2010 at 08:07 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    This is not funny , .
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 10-20-2010 at 08:09 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    WHO asked you to do this "exhibition "which you will NOT do again ?
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 10-20-2010 at 08:09 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Wow what a thread!!!! And what a DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!! I've Always wanted to get into racing offshore but why with this SH%t going on.

I'm a spectator and follow as much racing as I can, I grew up doing so with all the races in the 80's and 90's in Eastlake and the other Divisional races in the Great lakes area and the National races that Cleveland had in 01'&02'. that was AWESOME race course I think the best in many years at the time.

I was at the St.Clair races 00' 05' 08' 10' always a great time for me until this year I didn't like the fact that I could see the whole course VERY BORING. Then seeing a "NEW technoligy" boat in this class was exciting but then to see what it did to the class was boring as well. H3ll in 00' they raced around the freighters it made it interesting and was like 13miles if I recall correctly. It was nice seeing the BIG SVL class and the all the boats kinda reminded me of the APBA LLC days.

But anyway to my point AS A SPECTATOR as in reading this also THIS SUCKS that OFFSHORE racing is like this and that YOU RACERS are like this and the ORGS are like this it only hurts OUR sport or hobby whatever we all call it. I might just sit home and watch NASCAR on tv and save my money and NOT go to any races next year bringing unfamiliar friends to the sport due to all this he said he did this and they have that BS. Ahhh whatever you guys don't care about the spectators anyway it seams like anyways it seams cause this happens everyfew years anyways.

11. Collapse Details

And wow that "NEW" boat took the OPA SVL points title by ONLY showing up for 2 races and winning!!!!! That's a joke right????imho

and yes I'm sorry I linger a lot with only hoving 4 posts. Like I said I'm a SPECTATOR

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    There were only 2 races.. Some title? I suppose he should get a big trophy for that.

13. Collapse Details

Very disappointing. I can't believe a racer would fix a race. I know they were probably running hard, but this just sucks. What happened to get to this point? Can you imagine Don Aronow letting somebody catch up to him?

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Scripted may have not been the best word to use... It is no fun to watch the typical parade. So they chose to run in a pack first race and settle it the second.. I believe it was a good call on their part.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Scripted may have not been the best word to use... It is no fun to watch the typical parade. So they chose to run in a pack first race and settle it the second.. I believe it was a good call on their part.
    Well said.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    You may like it ,I doubt most fans would like to find out the race was won the night before .Screw the points on friday . Some of us actually have teams we root for . its not about the fans any more anyhow right ?.

( This is not a blanket statement ,OPA,s Class 1 thru 6 do a nice job . I Follow it whenever supercat or whomever produce a show . )
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 10-20-2010 at 12:15 PM.

17. Collapse Details

BTW,

This is certainly not the only time in offshore that this has happenned and not in this class either.

Wil

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Well said.
    OMG. That was a fraud. Pure and simple. You people are out of your minds. And my guess is that Randy made it happen. The three minions followed him. And he did it for one reason. He was afraid he could not make two races so he conned everyone into doing it. Pathetic. He has been the absolute worst thing to happen to the class since its inception and I am entitled to say it as the class's creator. Pathetic. Yeah, wow, cool, we are 4 old, fat, middle aged pretenders and but we are going to be the greatest class ever with corporate sponsors and everything. Delusional is the kindest word I can think of to describe this remaining group.

And Smitty, there is nothing between the lines. You did the right thing inviting the other teams to show up and the JVL guys did the absolute cowardly, wrong thing throwing George out after he drove all that way at your invitation. George is really a gentlemen. Had it been me, and it almost was, I would have laughed in Buffoon's face and then gone out and lapped him, if he had had the cojones to actually race.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wil Ros View Post
    BTW,

This is certainly not the only time in offshore that this has happenned and not in this class either.

Wil
    The only time I am aware of anything like that happening was 2002 in the Bahamas, but it was only for half the laps, then the teams took off and raced for the remaining laps. NEVER FOR A "WORLD" CHAMPIONSHIP. Be real, Randy conned everyone there into doing it so he could enhance his chances of winning a title. But he was terrified of racing Miklos, George and Dunbar, knowing he had no chance of finishing better than 4th. So he stirred everyone else (well, the other three) to trash George. Miklos got lucky and called ahead, knowing that Randy was likely to pull such a stunt, and saved himself a trip; hence the new term for the remaining boats - JVL.

20. Collapse Details

Mike,

I have to disagree with you.

IMHO,

Randy is a true racer in every respect. With all due respect to George,Mark and Steve in anything above two feet Randy will trounce them all. I was not there so I do not know what was discussed by the teams that were there but I have raced with him long enough to know that he is fair and a great racer!!!!

Just my .02

Wil