Thread: 103 in an svl ?

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    3 Bucks?
    Well at least that would be more than you have paid me up to now!

2. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Mike that is a great idea ,,please send me the set ,,again thanks I,v already started the CLUB bi laws ..
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Winter project.
    great Boomer will do well ,,,and deserves it ,,, if all the people build,, who say they are , you will have a great new class,, right at the start,,,good luck ..we tried ,,but without cooperation we were doomed , and warned I might add , but we tried anyway,,, good luck,, be safe ,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Mike that is a great idea ,,please send me the set ,,again thanks I,v already started the CLUB bi laws ..
    Mark has 'em...

5. Collapse Details

The B&C SVL will be completed soon and #1 will be raced as a factory boat. Quite a bit of time has been spent dealing with the canopy to create an extremely safe boat which pushed back the completion date.

Any new thoughts on allowing the Ilmor? I've spoken a bit to JC about this option and he feels that if it compares to the 525 and he and Rich get a hold of some spec sheets for them to look through it shouldn't be a problem.

For any looking to get into the class, this may be a boat you want to look at before you drop a check at Fountain. I am going to have a complete rig ready and running soon and will release all specs and details then.

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Fountain SV took over its class . No fountain , no win . ( nothin wrong there )
    New technology came in ,Big money was spent .blah blah .
    It,s gone !!!

Now The new 30' canopied single engine fountain.will do the same in time .

SOOOOOO Current 30, ft singles owners , continue with youre plan .

You are now two different classes .

I,d love too see ilmores in the existing hull,s
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 08-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    The older boats just cant run with the newer hull designs.That is a great idea to have two different classes it would be a win win for everyone. The new Fountain is only going to get faster, the next boat that is built will only be better and fast then Doc's. All the work and testing will go into the next generation.Like it or not Fountain builds the fastest V bottom in the World, they r in a class of their own. History repeats its self this should be no suprise to anyone, this isnt the first class they have totally dominated. The only difference is this time it didnt take Reggie as long as it usually does to totally dominate a class. After the second race the rest was history the hand writing was on the wall.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    Well at least that would be more than you have paid me up to now!
    I thought we had an arrangement. Dam
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

9. Collapse Details

can anyone count the number of classes that already exist (without using a calculator) before they start waving the "we need to make a new class " flag?????????
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    Rick and Dean, let me know what you are planning to do. I am ordering a new one, for Boomer. Going down to Fountain after Patchoque. Smitty
    I spent some time chatting with the owner of the Fountain SVL, at MC event.
    Tried to get him to part with it ,, but we are going to have one built for racing and poker runs this fall.
    Got to hammer out a few details,,,

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Smitty ,,if you order it after Patchog ,,you should have it for Atlantic City ,,they built the last one in 2 weeks ???? at least that is what they told the world,,,but then again they also told the world it was for a father and son bonding hobby,,,or a father and daughter bonding ,I mean sister and brother bonding,,,,or was it ,,, RIDE ALONG WITH A ?????? EITHER WAY,,,,, I like Boomer,,,he is a cool kid ,, good luck ,,be careful ,,,race safe....
    Try to get your "Math" correct, they posted and published the fountain boat was built in about 4+ weeks not ,,,( "..they built the last one in 2 weeks ..).

What there motivation was, who was going to drive, bond or ect,,is irrelevant.
    They can put Obama- in the boat if they want, and do not really have to tell you or "the rest of the world".
    I am hoping to get a ride in the boat when they come this way again,,, some of my buddies got rides in Stampede, when it showed up to Moorehead last hear,,,,,,but I think they going to Atlantic city instead

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    The new Fountain is only going to get faster, the next boat that is built will only be better and fast then Doc's.
    Hey Frank.

I'm curious, how can the next one be any faster than the first one when, by rule, no changes can be made? OPA is the only organization which does not have a rule about the hull allowing no modifications from the original mold. But, OPA also has no rules about any hull modifications in any of their spec classes. And, the original mold is the 33 Lightning, which makes it easy to check against an existing 33 Lightning hull for modifications;

"Fountain did ask me about the rules weeks ago, and I referred them to the rule books.

I can clarify a few facts that seem to be of some importance to the discussion.

1. The boat is built out of the production 33 Lightning mold, with the swim platform blocked out.
    2. The deck is built out of the production canopy mold and fitted to the 33 Lightning hull.
    3. I am told that the boat actually measures just under 30’ (29’11”) so it should be a comparable match to the existing fleet, considering that it also has the Fountain nose that really does not add to the running surface.
    4. The final weight of the boat is going to be within the 4750 pound requirement."

Martin Sanborn

According to both the SBI rules, and the OSS rules, now that there is one out there, the bottom design is set in stone I believe. Any changes to that hull, or mold, would have to be pre approved at least 30 days prior to any event? And, I also believe, all of the boats registered to race prior to 2003 (or something like that) are grandfathered in?

Any way, I'm curious, and I know this is a big deal. But, rightfully so. As many have said before, Doc's Fountain, assuming the length, bottom, and width matched the 33 Lightning, met all of the requirements of the class as intended.

Mike, I think you're wrong somewhat about the older boats being able to compete. Under my understanding, the rules you have and Smitty has also hinted at, would make them competitive for the future. The entire fleet racing prior to this year is grandfathered in. New boats have to meet competition standards with weight or RPM restrictions as needed. And the class can grow as it started to do, based on the owners of the fleet prior to this year, as intended.

But, back to the original question as I intended.

How can the next one be any faster? Just by relocation of weight and height of drive?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    The new boat will be lighter thats for sure, Docs boat is almost 300 fat. With that alone is good for 1-2 mph, the balance on this boat is wrong and they have added more weight to balance it and wouldnt have to in the next. The new boat will have the motor installed lower for CG. I can go on but they know what they have to do. You dont have to change the bottom to go faster. They r also working on a new engine hatch and air flow.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    The new boat will be lighter thats for sure, Docs boat is almost 300 fat. With that alone is good for 1-2 mph, the balance on this boat is wrong and they have added more weight to balance it and wouldnt have to in the next. The new boat will have the motor installed lower for CG. I can go on but they know what they have to do. You dont have to change the bottom to go faster. They r also working on a new engine hatch and air flow.
    Thanks, I was curious.

So Doc's running at over 5000 lbs currently?

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    One other question I am curious of, and Frank I know you are in the know in SBI, the SVL rule in SBI where the boats are to be limited to the 95 mph speed limit as much as possible. Will there be a rule change for weight or RPM, with a telltale GPS, if they are truely starting to surpass that mark on a consistent basis?

16. Collapse Details

Competitor
    There has been no conversation about it yet, but i'm sure if it becomes an issue it will be adressed. We keep talking top speeds but remember they go by race conditions and racing speeds. I dont think they saw 85 in MC . The Fountains avg. speed if u look at the results was 66mph

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Mike, I think you're wrong somewhat about the older boats being able to compete. Under my understanding, the rules you have and Smitty has also hinted at, would make them competitive for the future. The entire fleet racing prior to this year is grandfathered in. New boats have to meet competition standards with weight or RPM restrictions as needed. And the class can grow as it started to do, based on the owners of the fleet prior to this year, as intended.

But, back to the original question as I intended.

How can the next one be any faster? Just by relocation of weight and height of drive?
    I wish I was wrong but my experience tells me otherwise.

Anyway, it does not really matter. Offshore racing is a club sport. What matters is that there are clubs to produce events for members to go racing and the club members have fun. The number of classes does not matter, at least to the club, club members, local sponsors and event promotors. Only hard core fans might care because they want to see a real motorsport, but there are probably only hundreds of hard core fans, if that, and so there is not enough demand to create a real motorsport where class numbers might matter.

There are at least 10 olders SVL's and as long as they can race and be competitive among themselves then that should be good enough.

If there is to be a new style SVL class, then let those who want it make new rules. Now, if it were up to me, I would make the new boats 30-33', single engine, any drive, competition speed target max of 110 mph. And I would give teams an option to put only one person in the boat. I would make that class Super V and turn 'em loose.

18. Collapse Details

I thought we had an arrangement. Dam
    We did, but hell, if you are going to give me 3 bucks how can I turn it down?

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    I would give teams an option to put only one person in the boat. I would make that class Super V and turn 'em loose.

" The BERTEL SERIES " ( jus' kiddin' ) continue on please.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    " The BERTEL SERIES " ( jus' kiddin' ) continue on please.