Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks Guys,
    That gives me an idea. Trying to get a clue how hard/sharp I need to try and turn at 75mph. I will creap up on it little by little.
    Mark

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing View Post
    Steve Kildahl would be one of your best resources to tap, I also believe Steve Miklos has extensive knowledge of the Velocity characteristics.

As DD has stated, every boat is different.
    Are these guys members here or currently racing?
    Thanks

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I have never seen Steve K on line . Steve M is and is currently racing a SVL Extreme Vortec.

Here are some old pix I scanned for you. It was from A Solomons race in '90. The Velocity ran 80 with stock 420's. We were racing Great Adventure with his 500 somethings.. This shows a typical turn. We could sweep it Wide open .. The harder you turn the more speed you scrub off. Maybe you can find them helpful. Great Adventure one the Race in the end. He was faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30Vsolomons6.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	62233

Name:	30 V Solomons1.jpg 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	62234

Name:	30V solomons7.jpg 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	62235

Name:	30V solomons 5.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	62236

I later filled in for Bill in his Sutphen and Drove it for his Throttleman Gary Hartman at Pt Pleasant without ever setting foot in it.

4. Collapse Details

The Velocity 30 likes to be turned aggressively, as Jim said. The shape of the pad bottom allows it to turn like it's on rails. It's actually not a true pad- it has what you might call negative strakes on the outsides. They are there to help in directional stability when you really have the boat flying. But in turns, they give you some awesome grip.

The boat needs to be driven by feel. if you want to get maximum speed out of it, you have to spend alot of time running it and feeling what the boat does as you tab and trim it. It'll give you alot of feedback- you'll feel it in your feet. Same for turning. You'll feel what the bottom is doing as you do different things. There's no substitute for seat time.

5. Collapse Details

MMerc: Thanks for taking the time to scan those.

Chris: I have a lot of hrs in the boat and have a pretty good feel for tabs/trim. It has to be right in it's sweet spot. Nice to hear it turns well. I have never dove hard into a corner at speed. That's what I'm going to work hard on gradually.

Thanks again Guys!

6. Collapse Details

Underdog

Read what everyone tells you. Get in the boat put on your vest and helmet and hit the milling area. Everything gets real fast, your blood starts pumping you will get cotton mouth and wish you drank a gallon of water before the race. Then the pace boat will pick you up and things will seem crazy people will jockey for space and you will get real nervous. Then the green drops your throttle man will push the sticks forward and you will head for 1st turn. Then and only then will you have a real chance to see what it’s all about. and then after 7 or 8 laps and it’s all over you will forget everything you read and realize it’s all in the way you feel comfortable driving the boat with your partner throttling. Good luck and hope to see you out there soon

Mike O
    TEAM 531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
    www.WHOZYOURDADDYRACING.com
    OPA THE JERSEY BOYZ

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoz Your Daddy View Post
    Underdog

Read what everyone tells you. Get in the boat put on your vest and helmet and hit the milling area. Everything gets real fast, your blood starts pumping you will get cotton mouth and wish you drank a gallon of water before the race. Then the pace boat will pick you up and things will seem crazy people will jockey for space and you will get real nervous. Then the green drops your throttle man will push the sticks forward and you will head for 1st turn. Then and only then will you have a real chance to see what it’s all about. and then after 7 or 8 laps and it’s all over you will forget everything you read and realize it’s all in the way you feel comfortable driving the boat with your partner throttling. Good luck and hope to see you out there soon

Mike O
    Damn Mike...thats real good there, did not know u can write like this !!!!
    And its true !!!!!!

FUN,,,JUST HAVE FUN !!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Lets not forget reliability!You have to finish a race to win it.Get out there and take it easy your first couple of races.Watch what the others are doing in the turns and learn from it.You will eventually find the fastest way around a corner.Again,not all boats turn alike.Seat time,seat time,seat time!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

WhoYD: Great Stuff and it relates to any form of racing I have been involdved in the last 40yrs.

Heater: I used to take 3 motors to a race when running a Nitrous SuperBike in AMA Drag Racing... usually brought em home in a box trying to beat Muzzys Kawasaki.
    I can't afford to tear up stuff at this time... I expect to just stay outa da way and learn.
    Last edited by Underdog88; 05-19-2010 at 09:52 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    take lessons