Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwerks View Post
    How would it be any different if he built a new phantom? Depth of pockets has nothing to do with it is't svl a spec class?

Its just that Reggie and his crew build a more efficient boat ,test more and do more changes, then others...
    i guess its called better !

Will ( PHANTOM ) wants to build a new design too,just hasn't gotten the opportunity yet !

2. Collapse Details

Progress for this sport is not the same guys running the same boats for 10 years

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Depth of pockets has nothing to do with it is't svl a spec class?
    In Theory you are correct.. History tells a different story..I have been watching closely for 20 years. How many boats do you get to race against?... You must know why that is. SV used to be a spec class.. Then it went out of control. Few were willing to build a new boat every year.. In the end SV fractured into ,how many ,, 4 or 5 different classes.. All running essentially by themselves.

Anyway that is a whole different conversation..

I will say again Welcome Doc.. as I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    I just hope that the inspectors will not be racers or friends of them and stay fair...i believe that is the key !!!!!!!!!!!!

Then theyr should not be any problem who or why they build an SVL ?!

5. Collapse Details

Progress for this sport is not the same guys running the same boats for 10 years
    Dan, that means little coming from someone that doesn't have an equal boat to race against. You call that progress? I raced in some of the largest classes ever. They died in the name of progress.

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    They died in the name of progress.
    Jim, isn't that with everything tho,,,,why do u think the air force does not use old bombers any more or such...

I have a great name for the new boat...lol

" THE FUTURE IS NOW "

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I just hope that the inspectors will not be racers or friends of them and stay fair...i believe that is the key !!!!!!!!!!!!

Then theyr should not be any problem who or why they build an SVL ?!
    That line has already been crossed. The current rules states No one offs, No cut downs,

Enjoy the debate gentlemen.. I have work to do.

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    That line has already been crossed. The current rules states No one offs, No cut downs,

Enjoy the debate gentlemen.. I have work to do.
    If its build from a deck mold and a hull mold, then i guess not !!!

9. Collapse Details

That is a great looking boat! Sooner or later the 10yr old fleet needed to be updated. This will do just that. Good luck Doc, not with having the fastest SVL, but with the others trying to slow you down.

10. Collapse Details

IMO,

I agree with Mark, It is a great opportunity for the current teams in SVL to showcase their skills against any boat that comes out. Races are won and loss on the water not behind a computer or at the bar. I am sure the Fountain will be fast but IMO there is not much to improve on the speeds that the current fleet is doing, besides the field will be leveled once they run in the ocean.

My .02

Wil

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    I'm agree with Jimmy. I welcome it, and fear it also. It still has a Bravo on the back, but I could see history repeating its self again. I guess we have 2 options step up, or step out.

I wonder if it is a 30 or 32. I think a 30 we still have a chance a 32 game over.

12. Collapse Details

Guys,

Think of factory 1 class.

I for one am very excited and IMO, it will be a big boost for the class. I hope little R is throttling it. Can't wait to see it in person.

Wil

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    I'm agree with Jimmy. I welcome it, and fear it also. It still has a Bravo on the back, but I could see history repeating its self again. I guess we have 2 options step up, or step out.

I wonder if it is a 30 or 32. I think a 30 we still have a chance a 32 game over.
    SVL Guys:

Here is some unsolicited advice - do not let that boat into the class. If it runs once it is in forever. You will never get rid of it. Your boats will be worthless in less than a year. Within two years there will be one of you trying to come up with a "new" single engine "classics" class or some such to get "all of the old raceboats off the trailers, out of the garages, etc. to come racing" again just "like the good old days". All this macho crap about "bring it on" and "let's see how they turn" or "handle traffic" is just that: crap. It will last until the crew of the new boat figures it out and then starts destroying you. And destruction will occur. Guaranteed. And then teams will slowly dissolve away until there are a few hearty souls still hanging on for the free entry fees and brief run around a course somewhere, only to be the vanquished in the new Fountain ads.

Martin, I love you buddy, but you touted this P1 USA stuff for months knowing full well this boat was coming. How could you not tell George and the other teams? Uncool.

After the fact parity rules were not meant for this situation. It will not work. Keep it out of SVL from Day 1 or face the consequences - the end of your racing days.

14. Collapse Details

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Mr. A , i tent to think this statement is BS !

I agree , that is what happened back then , but i don't agree that nobody can build a new spec class boat !!!!
    Will , like i said before wants to build a 32 foot SVL Phantom.....so whats the differents...if its build per rule book ,, why would it be sooooooo different ?!
    And lets face it . old boats , will at one point be worth less then new ones, no matter what class boat !!!!!!

I really have no dog in this fight ( just yet )..but its interesting to see how a person ( money strong or not ) gets slammed , becasue he build a new boat and likes Fountain better then Phantom ??????

Sorry, but if thats the case how the SVL guys will see this....then i have to say it has nothing to do with racing .
    Nascar...build new cars all the time ....
    I was not talking to you, with all due respect. I have enough scars and tire tracks on my back to know what I am talking about. George and these other racers have put too much into this to see it destroyed now. At the end of the day the decision is theirs to make and now they can do so with their eyes wide open.

16. Collapse Details

There is no easy answer.. Everyone has made good points..

Dean your boat will be 10 years old soon too. You don't want to race against a modern version of a superV any more then we are going to like racing this new Fountain.

Dan,I believe your opinion is biased on a few levels. I have been part of Team Fountain I understand your view.

DD, I am not sure your input is helpful here.

Mike, I can't disagree with you.

Mark, says it best. Step up or step out..The result may be many stepping out as history has shown time and time again. The days of building a new boat every year or two are over for most.

I want to race as many as possible.. I clearly understand the new boat will have its advantages....It is easy for me to say "Bring it".. I don't have money tied up in equipment. Its not my call anyway.

So what is progress? A faster SVL { they go fast enough already} or a bigger, competitive class? It will not be easy.

I should be working. BBL.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 05-17-2010 at 10:52 AM.

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    I just wonder , where does it say.....u can not build a new SVL from any manufactor ????????????

http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/racers.cfm

OSS Technical Rules - OSS Vee Lite Classes

All OSS Vee Lite (VL) classes must strictly adhere to the following specifications along with the general rules pertaining to all OSS classes.

1. Weights and Dimensions:

CL
    VL

Hull type: Monohull
    Length minimum: 26' 0"
    Length maximum: 32' 0"
    Beam maximum: 8' 6"
    Tunnel width maximum measured at keel: n/a
    Number of engines: 1
    Height minimum (keel to deck n/a

Weight minimum, Bravo, Imco drive 4750 lbs *Changed*

2. OSS Approved Inboard Engines:

The Mercury Racing 525EFI (HP525EFI) is the only current production engine approved for use in VL.

Engines and outdrives are required to be standard production units.

A production unit is defined as one that is available to the general public for recreational use, and is produced in quantities of 100, or more units per year. Any engine or outdrive manufacturer meeting the minimum quantity production criteria may apply to the Technical Committee for approval of their product for competition. Approval is subject to production quantity verification and determination that no competitive advantage will be realized

18. Collapse Details
    This is simple
    Charter Member / Competitor
    Do want to have fun or be done?
    Our boats the cuurrent SVL'S were all designed well over a decade ago.
    The run good and they are reasonably safe. We all know roughly what they can and cannot do.
    A new boat like this WILL dominate the class if not in race one certainly eventually.

We can either allow this is in and buy new boats or we can exclude it and enjoy ourselves.
    Steve

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Like Jim said, i may not be helpfull,,,,

But i have to say , don't u all think then it should say in the rules ..NO BOATS NEWER THEN 2005 ALLOWED ????????!!!!!!!

That way nobody would have spend money on something new that will not be allowed in the class !

Am i glad, that i did not get the money together 4 month ago to have Will start me a new Phantom !!!!!!!!!!!
    And i tried !!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Like Jim said, i may not be helpfull,,,,

But i have to say , don't u all think then it should say in the rules ..NO BOATS NEWER THEN 2005 ALLOWED ????????!!!!!!!

That way nobody would have spend money on something new that will not be allowed in the class !

Am i glad, that i did not get the money together 4 month ago to have Will start me a new Phantom !!!!!!!!!!!
    And i tried !!!!!!
    Why would anyone be foolisish enough to build a new boat without checking with the class?

Do not blame the class. Preparation is everything and we all know what happens when you assume.
    Steve