Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I wonder how long an SBI Kilo is?........ and how much per yard it costs to reduce that length?

T2x
    Now you got me thinking that the Fountain Vee Bottom Record might not be legit.....

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Now you got me thinking that the Fountain Vee Bottom Record might not be legit.....
    Which one

3. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    Which one

4. Collapse Details

can't answer that but i can tell you it was hauling the mail , i was there.

5. Collapse Details

Off topic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0001-1.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Since we're on the subject, I'm curious.

How exactly is the speed verified at a UIM kilo? Is it calculated distance/time, or do they use some kind of laser and/or radar device at the end? If it's the former, how do you precisely measure exactly 1km on the water? Laser range-finder? Surely not GPS, I hope. What's used to mark the start and stop? Buoys that drift and wobble? Land-based positions? And how does one ensure that a timing devices triggers exactly when a boat enters the kilo and exits the kilo? And who certifies/calibrates the devices in question?
    Just looked at the UIM §60x and §610 rules:
    §604.02: ...
    The base must be measured by triangulation or electronic distance
    measuring equipment (EDM), which must have a first class certificate
    delivered by an Observatory or similar authority. This certificate must not
    be older than two years.
    §610.01 Distance: 1 nautical mile, 1 Statute mile or 1 kilometer
    §610.04 Timing: Above 200 kph timing
    is to be by photoelectrical or similar apparatus to one hundredth of a
    second.
    §610.04: Interval: The time elapsing between the two runs must not exceed 20 minutes
    except for jet attempts, when the permitted interval is one hour.

Morten

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Now you got me thinking
    Good...the therapy is obviously working.
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by lindeman View Post
    Just looked at the UIM §60x and §610 rules:
    §604.02: ...
    The base must be measured by triangulation or electronic distance
    measuring equipment (EDM), which must have a first class certificate
    delivered by an Observatory or similar authority. This certificate must not
    be older than two years.
    §610.01 Distance: 1 nautical mile, 1 Statute mile or 1 kilometer
    §610.04 Timing: Above 200 kph timing
    is to be by photoelectrical or similar apparatus to one hundredth of a
    second.
    §610.04: Interval: The time elapsing between the two runs must not exceed 20 minutes
    except for jet attempts, when the permitted interval is one hour.

Morten
    Many thanks Morten.

9. Collapse Details

Kiekhaefer's timing set was old, but great. Some WW1 artillery stuff, I think. They tape measured the distance, and set up one the devices at each end. A man rotated the sight to the boat coming down the course, and when it was at the staring line, the sight touched a switch which started and electric timer. The finish guy started tracking the boat when it came into view, and tracked it to the end, where a similar switch stopped the timer. If the guys were honest, the timing was perfect.

10. Collapse Details

Charter/Sponsor/Competitor KiloKat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    Do all of the sactioning bodies have the same length kilo?
    My understanding is that they do. I can tell you to get a kilo course sanctioned by the APBA is both time consuming and very costly. I had one approved for LOTO and it was a task I wouldn't assume again. First contacted a certified surveyor whose name was provided by somone at Missouri's state capital; then paid him to survey a sanctioned kilo course per APBA's written instructions. It took him countless days to survey, drive his metal pins in the rock bed, draw up a plat of the course and then submit it to APBA for approval. And, this was just to get a course approved. The cost to actually hold a sanctioned event only goes up from there ...
    Everything Runs Better On Alcohol

11. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    I was there for 3 days. I mean right there. In the race shop with Reggie and Ben and David, Martin etc. I was there the night before the official run for the test run (150 plus). I was right there in the middle of the "course" when they came by at friggin blistering speeds and I was there at the dock when Reggie got back and I was there to see GPS numbers and talk to him and Ben when they got off the boat. The boat saw 183 outside of the official run.

I know some of you feel differently but I say 183 is the number, not 177 etc. Anyway, my .02

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    About 5k
    You're off a bit LOL

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    I was there for 3 days. I mean right there. In the race shop with Reggie and Ben and David, Martin etc. I was there the night before the official run for the test run (150 plus). I was right there in the middle of the "course" when they came by at friggin blistering speeds and I was there at the dock when Reggie got back and I was there to see GPS numbers and talk to him and Ben when they got off the boat. The boat saw 183 outside of the official run.

I know some of you feel differently but I say 183 is the number, not 177 etc. Anyway, my .02
    Okay...so you are saying that based on GPS readings....World Speed records should be set? In that case I humbly submit the attached ( photo taken in my 28 foot Skater with twin 300x Mercury's) as my basis for claiming the World Propeller Driven and Overall Water Speed Records.

Please send my trophy, check and official certificate when you get a moment.

Thank you,

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speed.JPG  
    Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKat View Post
    My understanding is that they do. I can tell you to get a kilo course sanctioned by the APBA is both time consuming and very costly. I had one approved for LOTO and it was a task I wouldn't assume again. First contacted a certified surveyor whose name was provided by somone at Missouri's state capital; then paid him to survey a sanctioned kilo course per APBA's written instructions. It took him countless days to survey, drive his metal pins in the rock bed, draw up a plat of the course and then submit it to APBA for approval. And, this was just to get a course approved. The cost to actually hold a sanctioned event only goes up from there ...
    Agreed....There have a been a number of extensively surveyed courses using the APBA/UIM procedures including Norristown PA, Guntersville Al, and others. As a matter of fact I think Sarasota was surveyed ....by the APBA...... in past years. The APBA/UIM also insisted that closed circle courses be surveyed to establish competition records for both heat races and multi hour marathons. Up until the break up of the sanctioning bodies this all was taken very seriously and you could bet on the accuracy of the records. Today I'm afraid there have been records set on courses that are little more than the result of putting a timimg light "over here" and another one "over there".....

If I were the Phenomenon team I would attempt to set any records only on an APBA-UIM approved course, to avoid any questions in anyone's mind. All Of Al Copeland Senior's previous speed marks were set that way.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

15. Collapse Details

Okay...so you are saying that based on GPS readings....World Speed records should be set? In that case I humbly submit the attached ( photo taken in my 28 foot Skater with twin 300x Mercury's) as my basis for claiming the World Propeller Driven and Overall Water Speed Records.

Thank you,

T2x
    I'd say you have her "dialed in"!

16. Collapse Details

Thank you,

T2x
    Totally disagree and not getting into it with you. I stand firm on my position. And yes, I believe kilos are total BS for speed records. How fast has the boat EVER achieved if only for 1/1oth of a second. Thats the number

17. Collapse Details

Charter/Sponsor/Competitor KiloKat's Avatar
    If I were the Phenomenon team I would attempt to set any records only on an APBA-UIM approved course, to avoid any questions in anyone's mind.
    Absolutely!
    Everything Runs Better On Alcohol

18. Collapse Details

If I were the Phenomenon team I would attempt to set any records only on an APBA-UIM approved course, to avoid any questions in anyone's mind. All Of Al Copeland Senior's previous speed marks were set that way.

T2x[/QUOTE]

agreed . I told him (Scott barnhardt) this in no uncertain terms
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

19. Collapse Details

The Foutain record is UIM APBA certified.

20. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Rate View Post
    The Foutain record is UIM APBA certified.
    I suppose this could be true providing that the APBA Sanctioning deal with SBI was paid in full.... ???