Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
    TT an OL fanboi?
    If he was going to Tulane, would he be a Saints fan?? Yah!
    TT... i expect some inside info on the lineup.

And I'm gonna guess Smarty and TT have alot in common, as you both were highly involved in HP boating in your youth. Smarty was just there 30yrs earlier.

I'm sticking to my guns...
    This boat will run 90, no problem... but not at the $150k price. Dialing a boat in w/ $4000 props dont come cheap. My $0.02.
    Storm,

Ditto everything above.

PS:
    I did not include 1965-1969 in an earlier post - I did not remember those boating years. I was born in 1965, my father had a 16' Carlson tunnel boat with Mercury BP125. I was usually screaming or sh*tting my pants not due to my being an infant, a toddler, or a little boy it was due to father's wanting to race, tunnel mist at slow speeds, eating wind, and apparently my mother hated the boat. My screaming, my mother's hatred of the eating wind and racing flat-bottom hot-rods led to the purchase of the Donzi in 1969, offshore performance boat memories were born. I can identify with TT's love of offshore boats.
    Last edited by Smarty; 02-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Most of us have similar stories of how we got involved in the sport. The diff is I didn't write into Boating and Powerboat Magazine 4x a day to tell the editors how much "I thought" I knew at 14.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
    TT an OL fanboi?
    If he was going to Tulane, would he be a Saints fan?? Yah!
    TT... i expect some inside info on the lineup.
    No I wouldnt. I stand behind the best of the best and Outerlimits is just that. We dont even own one (yet). It's kind of tiring that every thread I post in someone always brings up how I could know nothing which if you knew me is the furthest from the truth. All I did was post factual info about the 28 and others had to bash OL when they have no experience with any of their boats??? Does that make sense??

Back on topic, as AnimalHouse posted things will start to move along with the 28 after the Miami Show.
    Last edited by Team Tsunami; 02-09-2010 at 11:37 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Not bashing. Stating facts from recorded history, not my opinion. We are all responsible for our actions (I expect a bolt of lightning from Heaven to strike me having just said that God has let me slide-on some past transgressions that is for sure). That was my point, I hope you did not think I was bashing OL, on the contrary. I think that they are one of the top builders, no question.

The duty to safety is what I advocate, and here is why. If OL, Cigarette, Skater, or whoever sells expensive, outrageously fast boats to the boating-public, that the general public and politicians do not identify with and do not understand, and then there is an injury or death of a passenger, friend, or innocent (other than the boat owner) when out in these outrageously expensive and fast boats, then it could start the legislative end of hot-rod pleasure boating, ie. speed limits, restrictions. That is my whole issue when it comes to safety design. If you can build safety in the product, and decide not to when it it is readily available, and then injury occurs, you are f*cked! Someone always will need to be re-elected who likes attention.

Accidents happen, that is why it is called an accident, but if a builder can reduce injury and or statistically show x number of injuries to x number accidents, or x number of deaths to x number of accidents (X can be any number) and show that statistically to be insignificant, small, plus whatever legal and factual argument that can be constructed to prove this point. Then, we, as a group have a fighting chance of keeping the sport alive and well without governmental interference. This is affects everyone else that likes to go boating too! I think that the OL bunch has done all that they can, and will continue to build safe boats. I am not bashing, OL Builds A Safe Boat.

Three areas the that Product Liability attorneys look for when suing manufacturers when these accidents occur (other than Negligence is for the operator of the boat if it can be proven):
    1. Failure to warn - hot-rod boat owners are aware of the risk. That is why everything we buy today has a warning label - go look at a six foot step ladder, look at the warnings.

2. Manufacturing defect - ie, Toyota - stuck accelator.

3. Design defect - hardest to prove typically according to lawyers I speak with, is there a more feasible design that is cost effective that can be implemented, if yes and not done, then $$$$$$$$ for the plaintiff. There is much more to this area, this barely scratches the surface, but you get the idea.

PS - I thought I was done posting about OL?
    Last edited by Smarty; 02-09-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Forgiveness & Humility

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    It's kind of tiring that every thread I post in someone always brings up how I could know nothing which if you knew me is the furthest from the truth.
    Don't sweat it dude, there may be some people on the internet that claim they know-it-all but in reality they're just like "Big Scotty"!

I say f'em and keep truckin!

6. Collapse Details

No I wouldnt. I stand behind the best of the best and Outerlimits is just that. We dont even own one (yet). It's kind of tiring that every thread I post in someone always brings up how I could know nothing which if you knew me is the furthest from the truth. All I did was post factual info about the 28 and others had to bash OL when they have no experience with any of their boats??? Does that make sense??

Back on topic, as AnimalHouse posted things will start to move along with the 28 after the Miami Show.
    Well, most on these forums don't know chit about other members.
    I don't discount your knowledge... I know the boats your family owns and your involvement. I now know you live w/in ear shot of OL.

In regards to this 28 OL.
    There currently isn't any factual information... the boat does not exist, nor has it been tested.
    The closest one can come to making assumptions on it is looking at current similar setups, ie: phantom, extreme, superboat, activator and the new hustler.
    Design wise... it should be able to hit the speeds considering its lineage.
    Price wise... it 'should' be well above these mentioned, since its fit / finish is well above them. (and its customers can afford them).
    Last edited by stormrider; 02-09-2010 at 01:00 PM.

7. Collapse Details

No I wouldnt. I stand behind the best of the best and Outerlimits is just that.
    Hold on there. One of the best? Absolutely. The best of the best? That could be argued for weeks if not months.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PM203 View Post
    Hold on there. One of the best? Absolutely. The best of the best? That could be argued for weeks if not months.
    I think Skater was the best boat builder in the world? That is who I think, just like you said, no one correct answer, just an opinion.

9. Collapse Details

TT I think your knowledge level is pretty high and you probably have more hours at the helm of high performance boats than some of the other members............but you are a pretty LOUD cheerleader for that company in your college town....

10. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Safety always needs to be priority number 1.

If I feel I can help in some way, I usually will make my best effort.

Example:
    St Clair Race when the Loan Shark boat flipped and the canopy failed, I documented every angle I could and forwarded the images to manufacturers such as OUTERLIMITS in hope that they may learn something from it and build a stronger safer canopy.

They appreciated it...

I offered the same to SKATER when the accident with the TnT boat in Ocean City happened. But of course the boat was going right to the plant anyway so it was not going to make much of a difference. They had a 1st hand look anyway...

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    I think Skater was the best boat builder in the world? That is who I think, just like you said, no one correct answer, just an opinion.
    Its all personal opinion. Each custom manufacturer has areas where they excel. There is not one boat builder that does everything the best. You just have to decide what's important to you.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Safety always needs to be priority number 1.

If I feel I can help in some way, I usually will make my best effort.

Example:
    St Clair Race when the Loan Shark boat flipped and the canopy failed, I documented every angle I could and forwarded the images to manufacturers such as OUTERLIMITS in hope that they may learn something from it and build a stronger safer canopy.

They appreciated it...

I offered the same to SKATER when the accident with the TnT boat in Ocean City happened. But of course the boat was going right to the plant anyway so it was not going to make much of a difference. They had a 1st hand look anyway...
    Tim,

Now that is good work. That type of effort goes along way, and that is valuable information for (and loads of goodwill) the manufacturer.

Nice!

13. Collapse Details

And absolutely the hardest boat on the planet to get insurance on!!!!

Why do you think that is???? Safety???

14. Collapse Details

I like what he said! Not every person out there wants or needs a 38 Top Gun, for example, where they boat or to satisfy their boating needs. I think there is a certain taget market that this boat will appeal to. The new 28 will be every bit as impressive as it's big brothers.

For those of us who are land locked and boat on Rivers, the 28 is a big boat and a great option!! When I got my 292 2 years ago, I wanted a 35, the wife said no, it was too big...she was sooo right!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Don't sweat it dude, there may be some people on the internet that claim they know-it-all but in reality they're just like "Big Scotty"!

I say f'em and keep truckin!
    frank , should i let the cat out of the bag ?

16. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    I would have to say SKATER & OL are very close in build quality..

But I still can't help but think the guys that build the America's Cup boats are so much further advanced considering their budgets they get to work with.

I do recall OL picking up many of the lamination guys from a local sailboat company as well. Very smart move if you ask me !

17. Collapse Details

I agree with you 100 % and Douglas Marine / Skater is the formost leader in the industry and has set all standards for composite boat building in the past and the present and with this in mind forget the rest there is only the best SKATER , SKATER , SKATER , and did i forget to mention that it is A SKATER NATION .

18. Collapse Details

:
    Quote Originally Posted by nthdegree View Post
    And absolutely the hardest boat on the planet to get insurance on!!!!

Why do you think that is???? Safety???
    You are correct sir, but when your product average speed is greater than 99% of the competition (boat builders) the severity of the accident is significantly greater when an accident happens. I agree with your post. I still prefer Skater.

The actuarial science guys will have the statistic that relates at what speed the percentage of fatalities increases, and so forth. Statistics. Skaters are fast!
    Last edited by Smarty; 02-10-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added/spelling error/nth degree is all-right with me!

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Guys lets try to Keep this on topic.. Outerlimits.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Guys lets try to Keep this on topic.. Outerlimits.
    I agree, have OL build the boat (28'), we are all interested, just look at the view numbers on this thread ----that is product-interest and good marketing.