Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    satellite VS cable
    We currently have comcast cable for TV but we're considering switching to satellite because it seems cheaper. Our choice would be directv or dish network. Any opinions from users would be welcome. So far I've read some real nightmare stories about directv.

2. Collapse Details

I've had Charter Cable; Dish Network and DirecTV...DirecTV is by far the best as far as I'm concerned. That said, I'd go with cable internet access, satellite does go down during stormy weather; HD channels first; so my preference would be cable internet and DirecTV.

Charter cable has the WORST customer service BY A LONG SHOT.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

3. Collapse Details

I just switched from Charter (basic) cable & went w/ AT&T (bundle) of home phone/dsl & Direct TV dish! (had the phone & dsl all along) I will say I like this DTV & I have had 2 call customer service a couple X & OMG!! I talked 2 people I could understand & they helped me w/ a nice tone in their voice & got me where I needed 2 B!! That was a Super nice refreshing experience!! Good Luck!

4. Collapse Details

We have both, cable for the house and direct for the RV. The direct will have problems in heavy snow or rain but otherwise good. We kept the cable for internet. Also direct didn't have local channels
    Run until it sounds expensive

5. Collapse Details

I have Directv and have had no problems. I took a hit from lightning once and it took out the dish and receivers. I placed a call and it was fixed the next day no charge. Only down side I see is if you have a bunch of tv's and also have dvr.

6. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    I have had both over the years.

Hurricane IKE settled that issue permanently for me. During that storm when the eye went directly over my house, I lost satellite signal for less than five minutes total. The cable which I use for Internet access was out for five weeks.

During Tropical storm Allison, which was well over twenty inches of rain I lost satellite signal for 3 hours.

For me the best combination is Satellite TV, with an in-attic antenna for backup.

I still use cable for internet but have a Verizon card in case that goes out
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

7. Collapse Details

switched from Comcast to Dish network in November 09 and so far so good .
    ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRYDEN PERFORMANCE MARINE 302-367-4962

8. Collapse Details

Another "YES" vote for DirecTV.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

9. Collapse Details

I HATE CABLE for the same reasons Wobble stated. After the Hurricanes I tried Direct TV, it was OK, I have Dish Network now, I like having 2 DVR's, and only one box for every 2 TV's, just a remote in the bedroom, no box.

10. Collapse Details

Switched from Comcast to DishNetwork about two years ago. Very happy with DishNetwork. Only had one problem so far and they were out the next day free of charge to correct it. And I get more channels than I was getting for $10month less. But I still have Comcast for internet.

11. Collapse Details

direct tv 4 me

12. Collapse Details

BTW, if you do go with DirecTV, let me know.

I will give you my account number BEFORE you call them. You get $100, and I get $100!

13. Collapse Details

I have been with directv since 2004. They have been good to me. Every two years I call and ask for an upgrade, after complaining and a threat to leave the give me what I want. They give new customers the world, old customers have to beg. They are giving me a free HD DVR monday. Where I live we only have two choices, directv or dish. From my friends and my experience directv is better service. So now I will have the main tv on HD with DVR and the bedroom on DVR and then a normal one in the spare room. Only pay one dvr fee doesn't matter how many you have.

Hey clay i want his 100....

14. Collapse Details

Comcast digital cable and broadband. No complaints other than cost. Considering Direct TV.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ZBODaytona View Post
    Hey Clay! I want his $100....
    I asked first. I got dibs!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by offshore24 View Post
    We currently have comcast cable for TV but we're considering switching to satellite because it seems cheaper. Our choice would be directv or dish network. Any opinions from users would be welcome. So far I've read some real nightmare stories about directv.
    How many TVs are currently connected to CATV at your house?
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

17. Collapse Details

How many tv's like Fund asked? What channels do you watch/have?

Cost issues:

The best deals are the bundled packages. I used to have Direct TV but swapped to Fios years ago. I pay a little over 120 bucks for phone, cable, internet (30 meg down 5 meg out), no premium channels. If you can get bundled packages that is the way to go. Even Directv and Dish offer them. Pay REAL close attention to the time of your contracts. There are often times early cancelation fees. With Directv any time that they come to your house, any time that they change equipment they re-up the contract for 2 years! Concast does not have contracts (I think). Depending on your network with Directv you can have multiple boxes attached together. In other words if you have 1 DVR all the other boxes can access the content on that box.

Picture quality:

For the most part and this does change from location to location Cable will have higher quality pictures. Don't fall for the Dish Network BS about 1080P content. They all compress the crap out of their broadcasts. Cable typically after Fios has more HD content then sat.

18. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Btw I have dish, 1 hd dvr, 1 dual dvr and two single dvr's
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

19. Collapse Details

Dish. No issues with them in the last four years. I was sick of paying more for cable at the lake than the dish was costing at home, so I had a dish mounted at the lake house and just take the boxes down with us.

20. Collapse Details

Charter high def (5) tv's , high speed wireless and no problems. $ 110.00 monthly