Thread: Tire Chains?

1. Collapse Details
    Tire Chains?
    Charter Member
    Planning a trip to the Colorado Mountains in a few weeks and need some advice on tire chains. Don't want to get caught on the road and have the DOT tell me to turn around.

I drive a GMC 2500HD w/ 285/75/16 Duellers.

Any recommendations? Anyone have a set I could borrow for a week?
    Boat-less...

2. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Planning a trip to the Colorado Mountains in a few weeks and need some advice on tire chains. Don't want to get caught on the road and have the DOT tell me to turn around.

I drive a GMC 2500HD w/ 285/75/16 Duellers.

Any recommendations? Anyone have a set I could borrow for a week?
    get a 4x4 and mount some narrow snow tires
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

3. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    If yours is a diesel 2x4 I wouldnt take it. My 4x4 Duramax wouldnt hardly move in 2 wheel drive on a slight incline on frozen slushy streets.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    Even with both, the chains are often still required by the DOT in CO to go through some passes when they have big snowfalls. I've been turned around before (in a 4x4...no chains) and it sucks.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post

Thanks for the input, but why would I get a 4X4 and mount narrow tires on it for a 3 day trip to the mountains?

As stated by rainmn, I don't want Colorado DOT telling me to turn around because I don't have them.
    Boat-less...

6. Collapse Details

I lived in Crested Butte Colorado for 5 years and often traveled Monarch, Red Mountain, Lizard head, and Mcleur Passes with these http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...Trac_QGHD.html without a problem.

I had 4x4 and would normally put them on the front tires so steering was always under control. For me traction going up was never an issue but being under control when going back down was what concerned me. Also, your front tires plow your trail so as long as those were moving I was fine.

Now, Depending on where you are going you can determine which passes you could potentially have problems with. Some passes like Red Mountain in the San Juans are notoriously bad. While passes like Monarch I only had to chain up once in 5 years. Normally just 4x4 on non commercial vehicle was adequate.

I would practice putting them on before you go so you can get familiar with the brand that you buy. Much easier to figure them out on dry ground when it is 60 degrees out rather than 5 degrees in the middle of a blizzard. Normally, you will want additional tightners. In my opinion you can't have them too tight and the last thing you want is a clasp coming un-done and thrashing your truck.

Have fun. We are heading to Crested Butte to go Skiing for the week of Christmas can't wait.

Lastly, If you don't want to order them most auto parts stores in Colorado should have them in stock.