Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Smitty, after reading this info last year, I took a drill to the factory oil filter mount on my 500efi. There was enough meat to run it out and tap it to 1/2" NPT. That allowed me to install AN-12 fittings and lines. The center fitting had a date with my lathe and I opened up the center hole to 5/8" at the filter stand and at the oil t stat.

Thanks for getting me thinking as I was all ready to use the OE lines and fittings.

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Here is something EVERY high performance boater who does there own maintenance (oil changes) should invest in-a filter cutter. I bought one of these after a dyno session at Tyler Crocketts and using his. You cut your filters open after every oil change OR if you have the slightest issue with oil pressure for any reason on your boat. If you start finding abnormal amounts of metal,you yank the motor and tear it down before a small problem turns into a disaster,Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crocketts dyno 2007 003.jpg  
    272 Baja
    1115 hp
    ANY QUESTIONS???
    "Here's to swimmin with bow legged women"

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Another idea,especially for single engine boats where you have the room to do this,just because merc mounts the oil filter in the most FUKKED up,upside down way possible where a simple oil change results in all the oil running everywhere,you don't have to. I built a nifty little bracket that lets me put a coffee can under the filter when I unscrew it,no oil spilled anywhere. This pic also gives the few guys that might have never seen one a glimpse of what a full flow fitting looks like like I mentioned previuosly,Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boyne 020.jpg  
    272 Baja
    1115 hp
    ANY QUESTIONS???

4. Collapse Details

LOL, I hear ya on the filter location. I drilled and tapped the filter adapter and installed a 1/8npt fitting and and drain plug set up in mine. I just remove the plug with a can under it and punch a small hole in the end of the filter allowing it to fully drain into the can before I loosen and remove it from the adapter. Its still mounted on the stock bracket on the front of the head and still upside down but no more mess.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    LOL, I hear ya on the filter location. I drilled and tapped the filter adapter and installed a 1/8npt fitting and and drain plug set up in mine. I just remove the plug with a can under it and punch a small hole in the end of the filter allowing it to fully drain into the can before I loosen and remove it from the adapter. Its still mounted on the stock bracket on the front of the head and still upside down but no more mess.
    That is a GREAT idea,when using a stock filter mount (or in your case a modified factory one) install a drain on bottom of the mount,Smitty
    272 Baja
    1115 hp
    ANY QUESTIONS???

6. Collapse Details

Yep, total cost for the 3 fittings and drain plug was about 4 bucks.

7. Collapse Details

Smitty, where do you buy oil filter cutters? Ive been kicking around the idea of getting one.

EDIT! ordered one this morning from Summit.
    Last edited by Tony; 06-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.

8. Collapse Details

I just recently bought a 88 Baja with a HP500. I changed the oil this past weekend on the trailer and had not run the boat that morning. The issue I had was when I removed the filter from it's remote mount it spilled oil out everywhere like it was over filled. Any idea why it would do that? The previous owner did all the other things you mentioned here, larger lines, larger cooler etc. Just curious why the filter would do that?