1. Collapse Details
    Anybody know anything about Lupus?
    My Girlfriend was diagnosed with it today and I realized I don't know much about it. They said it was in its early stages. What are the symptoms and what can we expect? I am asking here because I am slammed at work and don't have time to look it up. Thanks.

(PS - not her week is it... she broke her foot yesterday.)

2. Collapse Details

My wife was diagnosed with Lupus last year. She takes enough meds to tranquilize a horse, but lives a normal life. Day to day, life is normal, but she will have "flare ups" that will hit her. My wifes flare ups makes her feel achy & tired...it's kind of like arthritis.

Bad thing being a boater...sun can affect Lupus majorly! The sun will cause "flare ups"

Check out webmd.com

3. Collapse Details

I dated a "cougar" years ago that had Lupus for years before they diagnosed her as such. Much the same at Tiki said... tired, achy, will affect her diet and weight (on the thin side), irritability, and a few other causes and effects that I can't remember right now.

She was able to lead quite the normal life though. She was still running a horse farm, traveling, going to school, raising her kids, and still plenty of time and energy for "nightlife", but she had to balance it all very delicately.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

4. Collapse Details

Holy cow!!! Her dog was run over an hour ago while she watched. Whats next?!?!

Wait - I forgot to mention she miscarried about 3 weeks ago. April has not been kind to her.
    Last edited by X-Rated30; 04-29-2009 at 11:52 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    probably nothing, bad things come in three and the dog was the third. How is the dog, and what bone in her foot did she break? Is she in a hard cast or a walking cast. I had a broken foot a while back, 5th metatarsal and it took 6 months to heal, after the third month I had to wear a bone stimulator (I know it sounds weird) but a top ortho foot doctor prescribed it and it worked, other wise I would have had to have surgery.

I have a friend that has lived with Lupus since she was fairly young, she has taken a lot of meds her whole life and they discolored her teeth. However she does pretty well with very few flair ups. She makes it a point to get a lot of rest, she sleeps till about 10 on the weekends and now at 53 went to a three day work week. But she plays a lot of golf and is on a travel tennis team so she enjoys life. She does her best to avoid a lot of sun. I am sure there are web sites likeSOS for people with lupus, she should check into that and will probably get a lot of tips. I am sure my girlfriend would talk with her if she wanted to call or email her. My mother used to be friends with someone that developed Lupus in her late 20's the women is now around 85, she outlived her husband by about 25 years
    Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 04-29-2009 at 11:46 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Sorry I waited to edit the post - Guess that blows the theory of threes.

Dog died immediately. (I guess thats better - no good way.)

No cast yet - fifth metatarsal as well, but the bone is overlapping. She may need surgery.

She goes for more blood work within the next couple of weeks. Until then, we won't know whether it is the bad kind or the awful kind.

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    sorry to hear about the dog, that has to be awful. Mine was a very clean fracture, just would not heal. That's a common bone for a woman to break because of the shoes we wear, very easy to turn out and over. How did she do it, I was on my front porch windexing the front door, getting ready for company. I spotted a cobweb over the top of the door, not wanting to take the time to go in the house to get a broom, I jumped up in the air waving the paper towel at it, when I landed I twisted my foot, pretty dumb and I wound up in a cast from June till December

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    just read the part about the miscarriage,I am so sorry. It's probably linked to the Lupus, both my friend and my Mom's friend had several miscarriages.

9. Collapse Details

She broke hers babysitting 4 kids, walking through their livingroom that has a step down, there was a toy train on the floor that she stepped on and her other foot twisted off the edge of the step to the floor below.

I broke mine just like you did... only I was naked on a boat in Mexico, there was no spiderweb, no papertowel, and (thankfully) no broom. But thats another thread.

10. Collapse Details

In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    Find out for sure what kind of Lupus she has, from what I remember there are like 7 different strains. The singer Seal has had it for years thats why his face has the discoloration and such. I had researched it a bit when my Ex's nefew was diagnosed.

11. Collapse Details

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...231&zoneid=523

There are good web sites with info pertaining to Lupus. I have discoid lupus erythematosus and my sister has systemic. Was diagnosed several years ago while I had a bad rash on my back. The 1st dermatologist diagnosed it as acne which in fact I knew it was NOT. The 2nd dermo knew right away it was something more than that. After a biopsy it was confirmed. My best suggestion is to have the best doctor and do not be afraid 2nd opinions.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated30 View Post

Wait - I forgot to mention she miscarried about 3 weeks ago. April has not been kind to her.
    Keep that black cloud away from the boat.......

13. Collapse Details

No cast yet - fifth metatarsal as well, but the bone is overlapping. She may need surgery
    My wife broke that last year, falling off the dock back into the boat. She was stepping off, wasn't going to make it and turned back to step in boat and broke the 5th in 2 places. A week later (after swelling goes down) they try to reset it but the double break makes it tough so they schedule surgery/pin placement. The pin was about 6 inches long and essentially "skewered" her pinky toe into her heel. She lived with that metal rod sticking out of her foot for about 6 weeks, pulled the pin and then start the rehab. No high heels for a year etc......

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by x-rated30 View Post
    holy cow!!! Her dog was run over an hour ago while she watched. Whats next?!?!

Wait - i forgot to mention she miscarried about 3 weeks ago. April has not been kind to her.
    omg.

15. Collapse Details

registered

OMG man...how horrible.

16. Collapse Details

My mom has Lupus and has had it for a few years now. She has her moments where she can't get out of bed and her joints feel like they're 100 degrees to the touch. She has a hard time doing a lot of physically taxing work and can tire relatively quickly, but she still leads a good life and tries not to let it bother her whenever possible.

Sorry to hear about all the bad chit that's been happening...

17. Collapse Details

I've read the symptoms of Lupus vary widely. The good thing is once they diagnose it, they can treat for it.

It was one of the things I researched as the cause of my ataxia. (walking like a drunk)

Sounds like she's had more than her fair share of troubles. I can tell you from ongoing experience, a positive attidtude is the best medicine for any ailment. Good luck.
    Joe

18. Collapse Details

My wife had 3 miscarriages before she was diagnosed, but we have 2 beautiful kids now. Once she was diagnosed; the doc said getting pregnant was not a good idea, but by that time, I was already neutered.

19. Collapse Details

Oh my!!! Poor girl! Buy her a large bottle of her favorite booze for me!

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    My daughter has Lupus and was diagnosed about eight years ago. She's has a very good doctor that specializes in Lupus at the Marshfield Clinic.
    Symptoms vary but typically begin with arthritic joint type issues and later become organ related.
    My daughter has had three surgeries to correct bone/joint issues plus gall bladder removal and now has a problem with her liver due to medication.
    She needs a lot of rest, takes naps dailly, must avoid direct sunlight. Cannot describe how many medications she's be put on/off over the years. Many are chemotherpy type drugs.
    In a way Lupus is ssimilar to AIDS as it can wipe out your immunity system.
    Lupus is a odd disease and can be misdiagnosed easly as it hits a number of ways and impacts many systems.
    ed