Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    It doesn't take much to be a risk taker behind a keyboard or at the end of the bar while not owning a rig you pay the bills on....
    When a 50 foot turbine cat comes in and a 50 foot turbine v bottom comes in that should tell you something. I was there and kept my boat on the trailer friday and saturday.It was 50mph gusts at the very least.Had a great time broke nothing and will be back another day! Call me a *****,or a genius.Just do it in person.I wish I could post pics of tampa bay they are on my buddies camera.

Good judgement for those people who turned around probably saved the coast guard alot of money.

2. Collapse Details

Locally, I have to wait for the windstorms to go out and really play. The rivers here are typically pretty flat except for jumping peoples wake.. but we do get occasional windstorms that drive everybody else in off the water.. Thats when you see me heading out. Keep in mind, they still dont get to 7 foot swells though. Maybe 3 or 4 footers but it is something to play with

3. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
    Ok guys,
    I was there.
    Tom,

Was it too big for my 13 foot Bullet ?

Sort of reminds me of going out Barnegat Inlet during the Poker Run when a 36 Spectre and a 32 Hustler ended up turning around because it was big.

They had their reasons which is fine. Safety First!

For me, I knew what myself and the boat was capable of and had no fear.

Today I may think twice though.... Age will do that to ya !

Glad to hear many used their heads and did the right thing!

4. Collapse Details

Off the subject a bit, but it's ok.

The curent racing circuits.. to say the least... s ux. IE.. The Air Races world wide. Great marketing. TV coverage, awsome sponsers.. etc. etc.
    Todays racing "managers" are all for "self interest". Not for the love of the sport.

I would love to see a two day racing events. Day one.. the Ole' timers.. for show and for charity.. Next day.. .. serious offshore race.... with out the curent BS... part two day two.. celebrity races,, just for fun.. bring what you got..
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Tom,

Today I may think twice though.... Age will do that to ya !

!
    It's called feeling your own mortality.

6. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    It's called feeling your own mortality.

And having a family that needs me to be around for a while !

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Well it has been quite a 24 hours since my first post. Obviously some feelings have been hurt and for that I apologize. My intent was to put the focus on the boats, not the egos.

This post was just a personal observation. I was surprised and thought I would post it here for comments.

And for Jupiter Sunsation.....I know what I have done in the offshore world....who are you again??
    Just a pleasure boater recognizing a guy with a bruised ego.........

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Off the subject a bit, but it's ok.

The curent racing circuits.. to say the least... s ux. IE.. The Air Races world wide. Great marketing. TV coverage, awsome sponsers.. etc. etc.
    Todays racing "managers" are all for "self interest". Not for the love of the sport.

I would love to see a two day racing events. Day one.. the Ole' timers.. for show and for charity.. Next day.. .. serious offshore race.... with out the curent BS... part two day two.. celebrity races,, just for fun.. bring what you got..
    I would argue that point with you when it comes to OPA. I have never seen a group and a leader that gives more for the sport with absolutely no reward other than the respect of their fellow racers. Smitty basically does a full time job for 0 salary. And I can tell you there have been many times when he put the good of the sport or the organization ahead of his personal gain or feelings. I will not comment on the other groups because i don't know, but to see true sportsmen doing it simply for the satisfaction, come on out and see the OPA work.

9. Collapse Details

hmmmif we combined it all...we could have " the disfunctional family pimps my boat, dockside edition"
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

10. Collapse Details

I am sure that there are a lot of happy insurance companies today because people knew their limits. No point in bringing the sport bad press over a plastic trophy or a couple buck.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Just a pleasure boater recognizing a guy with a bruised ego.........
    I dont think you know who Charlie McCarthy is do you?? I am not getting into this debate about how bad the conditions were because I was not there!! or do not know what I would have done at that time!!, but MR McCarthy should be respected for what he did for the sport and High performance boating, not beat up for something he posted!!!!

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RollWithIt View Post
    Cigarette, Fountain and Apache!!!

Chris.. the dilema you are talking about has been discussed for a while. I remember talking to a few people back in the day over on OSO about what can be done to promote or grow the sport of offshore racing and attract; fans, racers, teams and sponsors. Personally, I think if we could get more media coverage of the sport, it will make the biggest difference. Its all related. You get more media coverage, maybe get more fans from exposure. The promotors and sponsors get more coverage so they are willing to throw more money in or new sponsors jump in. You get more money flowing in the sport and make it more... ahem.. profitable for the racers and teams, then you will get more involvement. Just my take on it. I can remember watching APBA races on tv years ago. I couldnt even tell you where I could catch a race on tv anymore.. When Discovery Channel did a show with AMF offshore, I thought that was great.. Love Muscle Racing did thosw promo videos.. It'd be nice to see a major media outlet pick them up for a show.. I mean, you had OCC, Billy Lane, Monter Garage, Pimp my Ride... How many show can you make without taking that step to a boat related show.
    Close very close 2 out of 3 aint bad

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    The state of racing sux it is who can make the most out of more!!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    I dont think you know who Charlie McCarthy is do you?? I am not getting into this debate about how bad the conditions were because I was not there!! or do not know what I would have done at that time!!, but MR McCarthy should be respected for what he did for the sport and High performance boating, not beat up for something he posted!!!!
    Yeah I know who he is but the statement calling out a bunch of pleasure boaters out to have fun is like Reggie claiming to have a "cat killer" to the same crowd.

Now if Charlie ran his boat yesterday to the lunch stop with the other few boats then he would be entitled to make the statement he did.

This was a pleasure boating event run by mostly amateurs not racers so that is why it is an out of place comment. Also keep in mind back when Charlie was racing boats were significantly heavier which would give a better ride and ran with much less horsepower which often broke. So a champion then was running more of an endurance race with a solid wavecrusher than a top speed event which is what a lot of poker runs turn into.

15. Collapse Details

Yeah I know who he is but the statement calling out a bunch of pleasure boaters out to have fun is like Reggie claiming to have a "cat killer" to the same crowd.

Now if Charlie ran his boat yesterday to the lunch stop with the other few boats then he would be entitled to make the statement he did.

This was a pleasure boating event run by mostly amateurs not racers so that is why it is an out of place comment. Also keep in mind back when Charlie was racing boats were significantly heavier which would give a better ride and ran with much less horsepower which often broke. So a champion then was running more of an endurance race with a solid wavecrusher than a top speed event which is what a lot of poker runs turn into.
    I really didn't want to get into this further BUT.

>>>" a top speed event which is what a lot of poker runs turn into." <<<
    PR should not be a top speed event to begun with. Many of the boats are not pleasure boats by any means. Purchased/used for one thing in mind. Going from point "A" to point "B" in a balzz out way.
    I would also concider a 50' cat or a "V" with over 2100 HP a "wave crusher".

Charlies is a die hard boater and racer. I think his point is missunderstood.
    He would have like to see these boats driven and used in rough seas as they were intended and designed for. Many years of design, experimentation and race events are behind the hulls. Most of the boats at the run can handle the seas and drivers/owners of the boats should know how to drive them, safely. I think it was just a bit dissapointing to see a thoroughbred horse sitting in the barn. They need to run and it would be nice to see them run. But I am also glad that safety is a consideration. However, … Based on Charlie’s racing experience, I’m sure he felt that the boats can be run in a safely manner, (and I'm not trying to speak for him, just making a point) but if you don’t know how to drive a stick shift.. don’t by a Ferrari with a 6 speed on the floor.
    The important factor is that everyone is safe and sound, and the heII with the 6 speeds and the high HP's. There will be a nother day and run.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

16. Collapse Details

Sorry, but I just have to add to this one...I agree with top banana and paradox, alot of people show up looking like a full race team ready to do battle. Many of these boats are built to go out in the rough. Sure they don't need to try and run 150 but you can still have fun in the big water and not wreck the equipment.

Most of these boats are supposed to be rigged with the best of the best. If they can't handle running some rough water what is the point? It also does not say much for the rigger.

I agree about not beating on the equipment, but the guys that are running 150+ kinda are. Running in the ruff at 100 is easier on the motor than 150+ at high rpms.

I also agree about safety and if your family or friends were in the boat you would not want to run. But some people appear go 150+ with family or friends on board in smooth water. I don't see how that is safer.

JupiterSunsation, you said: "This was a pleasure boating event run by mostly amateurs not racers so that is why it is an out of place comment"

Many of the big guns are the same amateurs (as you said) who go out and run 150+ in cats and 110+ in vees. If you can run your boat at those speeds you should be capable of driving in big water. What are they going to do when they come upon some waves at that speed?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RollWithIt View Post
    Cigarette, Fountain and Apache!!!

I couldnt even tell you where I could catch a race on tv anymore.. When Discovery Channel did a show with AMF offshore, I thought that was great.. Love Muscle Racing did thosw promo videos.. It'd be nice to see a major media outlet pick them up for a show.. I mean, you had OCC, Billy Lane, Monter Garage, Pimp my Ride... How many show can you make without taking that step to a boat related show.
    Supposedly this is in the works

Maybe Ron P will show up and tell us how the TV show is progressing

There was a plane to focus on two or three teams (Poker Run Or Race)
    for a TV show

18. Collapse Details

I think many would agree that Mr. McCarthy has all the credibility in the world to bring up this topic of discussion. I have found the discussion to be really interesting. Many would also agree that the decision of whether or not to go out in any given condition is the decision of the skipper alone. Please don't make this about what Charlie has or hasn't done. I was bummed to see how an Icon was handled here.
    It was a challenging topic. I am thankful that it was posted by a legend like Mr. McCarthy, so we can make it about the topic rather than about each other.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

19. Collapse Details

It's a pleasure run, not a race, not a sanctioned event. If the conditions made it uncomfortable, and folks backed out, SO WHAT? Not all boaters are driven by their ego's, some actually have brains...

20. Collapse Details

Great thread... Few of them evoke passion like this one anymore

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    ...not beat up for something he posted!!!!
    I don't agree here.

An opinion was stated, I think it would of been appropriate if it where a race not a weekend too have fun with a bunch of buddies. And like anything in life you state in public it will be addressed by others with various views.

We're responsible for what we do & say, irrelevant to what you have achieved before, ask Elliot Spitzer... or OJ!