Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    I was fortunate enough to secure a property in Fort Myers recently, so it is time to start looking for a proper boat to park in the back yard. My Envision is not quite right for this location. Criteria are ride quality, cockpit room and a full cabin. Something that will make for a pleasant run up or down the coast and maybe overnight onboard once in a while.

Based on my own research I think I'm looking for a 90's cig (cafe or gun) or formula (357/353 or 382). My wife would be leaning toward the formulas if the ride quality is there. I'm looking for real world advise on these boats based on my criteria. Questions I'm asking myself: is a top gun ride that much better than a cafe? A 353 will be relatively fast, but at what point does the water get big enough that we're getting beat up? Are there other models I should be considering?

Thoughts are appreciated!
    Greg

Greg.....buying used is like buying used cars...always go for the latest and best you can afford. In this case that would mean a 2005 and up TS Top Gun...but that also means bigger power for the boat and the truck.

You didn't mention a budget, but think before you pull the trigger on a big used boat with big used engines....real world experience means big bills....and no warrantees.... to keep it running.

If you have a limited budget, work with a builder to build you a custom boat with new engines......things like the final finish to the cabin, can be done at a later date. This gets you out on the water now with a trouble free boat under you.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f311fr1 View Post
    You need to look at a 37 Active Thunder
    He needs to look at your BT...
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
    here you go......... Pick one.......
    oops
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pickwick picts 045.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CDOWNS View Post
    oops
    I'm on my way:auto:

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the replys guys, this really helps. I do have a little experience throwing money into a boat. My 32 Envision is equipped with Young 625 EFI's and XR's with IMCO shorties. I had to go with shorties in order to fit the engines under the rear couch.

There are a host of possible senarios. I could find something with Merc power and bravos and do a power package swap to make the Envision more marketable. I could also potentially trade the Envision, guessing I would get a few bucks due to the newer engines and drives. Guess I could also find a boat without power and put cheap motors in my Envision in order to sell it.

Budget is definitely sub $100K. Of course, this is the market for such opportunities.

6. Collapse Details

Give Scott a call. I know this boat personally. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o27700-en.html

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    Give Scott a call. I know this boat personally. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o27700-en.html
    That is a beautiful Cafe' If it had been for sale when I bought mine, it might be sitting on Grand Lake right now......

8. Collapse Details

One reason for settling on the Envision 5 years ago was the large cockpit. I hate to have to give it up. I would consider a 36' Envision, which will give me a better ride with an even larger cockpit, but it tops out at 65 mph with 500EFI's.

Roomy though....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36 cockpit.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    It's a second home, Knot. One might conclude that since I haven't been posting I've been working .

I confess the preference for the cigs, and the cabin layout is nice. My wife would prefer a 400SS, hence the potential need for a little compromise.

I appreciate the feedback. I know that the formulas offer a few amenities, and that the cigs are more hardcore. I forsee trailering the boat for summer fun in the midwest and leaving it on the lift at Fort Myers over the winter. A 35' will be a little easier to deal with.

I also need to consider that I'll want to run with new friends. I don't want to regret the cafe because I can't keep up with everyone in longer boats, or regret the 357 because it's not fast enough. Putting my current 625's in the next boat is an option.
    You will never overnight in FL without a/c. Check your insurance rates on a go fast vs. a cruiser like a 400 SS. Checkout www.yachtauctions.com lots of cheap Formula/SeaRay cruisers on there. Had a cheap 01 TS TG on there last week that sold for 80K.

10. Collapse Details

Your description fits exactly the way we use our 382. I don't know about the others, but a 382 has enough cockpit room to fit a second set of bolsters in front of the rear seat if you want to. Nice ameneties, and good ride. There's a 1998 with carb 500's in flawless condition at my marina. $88K takes it. This one is really, really nice. It sits right next to mine in the dry stack, and I think the guy who owns it detailed it three times for every time he ran it.
    http://www.tomeslandingmarina.com/ Click on "pre-owned inventory" , and then go to the second page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l_starbert2.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    Your description fits exactly the way we use our 382. I don't know about the others, but a 382 has enough cockpit room to fit a second set of bolsters in front of the rear seat if you want to. Nice ameneties, and good ride. There's a 1998 with carb 500's in flawless condition at my marina. $88K takes it. This one is really, really nice. It sits right next to mine in the dry stack, and I think the guy who owns it detailed it three times for every time he ran it.
    http://www.tomeslandingmarina.com/ Click on "pre-owned inventory" , and then go to the second page.
    WOW. Nice find Chuck!!!! That 382 model has just the right amount of everything. My wife would love to have one. I'm getting there, but just not quite there yet.
    Does that boat have a genny?

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Why don't you buy a center console for ft. myers? Keep your boat for up north. Down here a smaller cc is the way to go. You can explore around and the water is shallow in a lot of places. O/b's are reliable and you get your room back. I have seen a bunch of people move down here with their performance boats only to sell it and buy a c.c. good luck on the move.

13. Collapse Details

A center console may still be a consideration. I can't ignore the practicality of outboards and a hose-out cockpit. It's just hard to make a 36' CC run 80 without hanging 10 outboards off the back.

14. Collapse Details

Nice ride!!!! The true gentlemens hot rod.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by f311fr1 View Post
    You need to look at a 37 Active Thunder
    Yep excellent boat!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    That is a beautiful Cafe' If it had been for sale when I bought mine, it might be sitting on Grand Lake right now......
    Agreed but I like yours better

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    WOW. Nice find Chuck!!!! That 382 model has just the right amount of everything. My wife would love to have one. I'm getting there, but just not quite there yet.
    Does that boat have a genny?
    I don't believe that it does, but one could probably be added. I can't remember if the VacuFlush system is in front of the engines or on the starboard side. The genny has to go in front of the engines.

You or Frequency should call on this boat. The owner runs a detailing business, and this boat shines like no other. He is the second owner, ran it very timidly and rarely used it last summer. I know that he's motivated, so he might settle for a little less. Heck - I might even take the trailer if you don't want it....

18. Collapse Details

saw this come up on oso. looks like a hell of a deal....IF that is wrap and not painted.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o28362-en.html

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsation96 View Post
    I'm on my way:auto:
    He doesn't appect food stamps as payment

20. Collapse Details

I don't believe that it does, but one could probably be added. I can't remember if the VacuFlush system is in front of the engines or on the starboard side. The genny has to go in front of the engines.

You or Frequency should call on this boat. The owner runs a detailing business, and this boat shines like no other. He is the second owner, ran it very timidly and rarely used it last summer. I know that he's motivated, so he might settle for a little less. Heck - I might even take the trailer if you don't want it....
    It looks like a sweet deal. How would a 382 perform with 1.5 ratio XR's and 625 HP a side?