Phil Lewis has been very quiet about this, but he has so many friends, admirers, contacts and racers whose stories he helped to tell, that I thought it was appropriate to publish some facts. As some of you know, Phil Lewis pioneered Offshore video coverage in the late 70's and his famous NNRT video footage became the foundation for most of the broadcast TV programming in the 80's and early 90's (when budgets were much larger and fleets much bigger than today). His footage was the best in the sport worldwide and his equipment was much more sophisticated (and costly) than any of his competitors, not to mention his eye for great shots, and the ability to find incomparable pilots. Finally, he was respected by all of the top teams, due to the quality (not quantity) of coverage provided and his personal knowledge and relationships with the key players. Back then respect and trust were paramount, and his good nature was welcomed virtually everywhere in Offshore Racing.

To the point, Phil has had serious health issues in the past few years and recently suffered a kidney failure that was complicated by the fact that he had lost the other one in a previous required medical procedure. I will not go further into detail, but suffice it to say that one of the folks we all owe a lot to is undergoing a very trying time. If you know Phil or his work, you can send him well wishes (His email is pml.pml@verizon.net ), believe me they will be appreciated. Phil did an awful lot for the sport we all love, and a few minutes of our time might help him overcome the most serious challenge of his life.

For me, I am proud to call him friend, hopeful for a good outcome, and eternally grateful for the opportunities and trust he gave me in those helicopters oh so many years ago.

God Bless you old friend....

T2x