I was on the road this week- had the opportunity Thursday to hear most of the summit. Pretty interesting stuff

As I'm listening, I started wondering about a few things. Maybe some of you can share perspectives on this.

1. When did health care become a right? Is it a Constitutionally guaranteed right or a basic human right? And if it is in fact a right, isn't it then the responsibility of our government to provide it, not an employer?

Most employers provide health care coverage for two reasons. The first is that it helps attract and retain valuable employees. The second is that healthy employees- and employees without significant distraction brought on by a falily illness are much more productive employees. But now something that's been a good idea and good business is now the birthright of every inhabitant (notice I didn't say "citizen") of the U.S.?

2. Why is basic, high-deductible insurance a bad thing?

Low deductible health insurance isn't health insurance. It's a health maintenance agreement. Low deductible means that I'm going to spend the money, but I'm going to send that money first to an insurance company to make those payments for me. And I've run the numbers- a $10K deductible family policy costs about $800 a month less than a $250 deductible policy. Seems like a good bet- if I don't use it, I'm up $10K. And if I do use it, I'm spending the money I'd have spent anyway.

Why is it that as an employer I should be compelled to meet the comprehensive health needs of everyone I employ- and their family? Which leads me to my next point...

3. When will anyone start talking about the health care repsonsibility of the insured?

Isn't one of our biggest challenges the demand on our health care system? When comparing our health care system to the rest of the world, we never speak about the relative health of our citizens. Obesity is rampant in this country. Many millions of our citizens smoke, drink and eat poorly. Our illness and mortality statistics are top-heavy with heart and lung diseases, cancer, diabetes, etc. If we really had any concern as a people about health care- or health in general, wouldn't this be the place to start? And if health care really is a right, when do we start hearing about the ban on cigarettes, alcohol and fatty foods?

4. Somewhat off topic, but is this really the time to be doing this?

This issue has been around for a long time. Is talking about adding to the load of the average American business really going to help turn a recession around?