1. Collapse Details
    This engine versus a 496HO - Which way would you go and why?
    Looking for opinions on this engine package for our boat.

I know that Mercury is a popular choice but i just wanted to get some opinions on a GM Marine engine package that looks like it might be pretty decent. Please take a look at the pictures and specs at the bottom and tell me what you think.

There are a number of race teams running these and they have logged a lot of time in the water with these motors over the last 1.5 years. Panther the company that has these told me they have over 6000 hours combined between all of the test boats with no major problems.

Please post your thoughts on this package. Since the 496 HO is not available much longer and the 525EFI is so expensive this seems like a great alternative.

The boat i would be putting it into is a 2008 Magic Deckboat thats 28 feet and about 5500 pounds. I have an XR drive already so just needing a power plant.

Here are some pics and specs below.

2. Collapse Details

Interesting,looks a lot like the Vette motor that oil filter on the bottom has to go though.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
    Interesting,looks a lot like the Vette motor that oil filter on the bottom has to go though.
    I am not a real experienced boater but you are about the 5th person to say that so having it where it is must be pretty much out of the norm. Can you tell me what is wrong with it being so low or is it just a pain in the *ss to get to there for service?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DougSAz View Post
    I am not a real experienced boater but you are about the 5th person to say that so having it where it is must be pretty much out of the norm. Can you tell me what is wrong with it being so low or is it just a pain in the *ss to get to there for service?
    Yeah, it would be so deep in the boat you would need to remove the engine to change it. Most boats would also likely have a stringer issue also since they run right by there.

5. Collapse Details

The LS-based engines are a great alternative to the big blocks in a smaller boat. If it were me, I'd be looking at a better-known brand with a verifiable track record.

http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html

Someday you're going to want to sell your boat and what power in it is likely to mean the difference between it moving quickly and sitting for a long time. And I know if I lifted the hatch on that "Panther", I'd recoil. It's downright fugly. And 1-800-runs-new is known as a beer-budget engine builder. Regardless of the origins of the engine, that's going to be the stigma attached to your boat.

One other thing- the Merc 525 only looks expensive. They're very reliable, you can get parts and service in hundreds of locations across the country and if someday you decide you're not going fast enough, you can get close to 800 hp out of it without a big impact on reliability. It's basically the N/A version of the 700.

6. Collapse Details

Given the size and weight of your boat, and the fact you have an XR drive, I agree with Chris. Look for a Merc 525 take-out. 500 EFI would also be a good choice if you are not looking to spend 525 money. Nothing good can come from going with a Bob's marine engine. I have a buddy with an '03 33 Outlaw with 500 EFI's. He only knows one throttle position - On! The motors have 300 hours on them and have never been touched. He is far from anal on maintenance. They get once a year oil changes and that is it. Even with all the abuse and lack of maintenance they still run like raped apes.
    Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 02-11-2010 at 10:33 AM.

7. Collapse Details

The 6.2 LSA SC is a GM Powertrain factory marine engine. Like the 496 and other production motors it is purchased as a complete longblock. The OEM then installs his manifolds, cooling system, etc, and most importantly the engine management system. There are other companies out there doing a much better job of packaging this engine. That Panther one looks like a garage project.. The engines run incredibly smoothly and have killer torque. You might be able to compare it to a 525 but for them to say it will outperform a 600.. Well, bullchit. If ya really want one let me know and I can get ya a better price on a nicer package..

http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...LSA_Marine.pdf
    Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 02-11-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added link

8. Collapse Details

The price looks good but I don't see how the 450 hp version will "easily out-perform the 525". Just for comparison, I paid $20,000 for a like new HP525 EFI with 30 hours. It is of 2007 vintage and has all of the up-grades available then such as cometic head gaskets.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Someday you're going to want to sell your boat and what power in it is likely to mean the difference between it moving quickly and sitting for a long time. And I know if I lifted the hatch on that "Panther", I'd recoil. It's downright fugly. And 1-800-runs-new is known as a beer-budget engine builder. Regardless of the origins of the engine, that's going to be the stigma attached to your boat.
    +1 (or a thousand)

You can even look at previous name brand stuff of same years and it is value suppressed. For example, the OMC years of Donzi. It's pretty well known that the King Cobra is a better drive than a Bravo 1 but a King Cobra 22 will sell for thousands less than identical boat with Merc power.

People like what they know and can get parts for.

10. Collapse Details

If you are starting from scratch and do not have a block to start with get a merlin, dart, GM tall deck or just a 502 block, put all the good parts in it and call it good. If you have a good 454 block you can make a 489 or 496 out of it. If you want input on what parts and who to use you can get plenty of input on that. Just let us know.
    Last edited by jeffswav; 02-11-2010 at 06:03 PM.

11. Collapse Details

Build a nice 502 on your own, aluminum heads, full roller, nice cam. Easy 600hp for less $$.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    You could have a builder like Ateco put together a 540 for less money, and it would be considerably faster.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    someday you're going to want to sell your boat and what power in it is likely to mean the difference between it moving quickly and sitting for a long time...regardless of the origins of the engine, that's going to be the stigma attached to your boat.
    +2

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer View Post
    You could have a builder like Ateco put together a 540 for less money, and it would be considerably faster.
    And Ateco would make more power for that money.

The oil filter would be imposible to change on that engine. That one point would spook me thinking these builders do understand marine engines. The statement that a 450hp engine will outperform the 525 that make over 540 hp dyno is silly.

15. Collapse Details

Just thought i would post an update. I picked up a Mercury Racing 525EFI from an insurance deal (Stolen) for $12000.00 out the door. It is a complete package minus drive with only 42 hours on it. I already have a XR Drive so my search is over. They fired it for us and it sounds great. Had a Mercury tech in Phoenix check it out and he gave it a thumbs up.

16. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Nice Buy and Smart Move!

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

17. Collapse Details
    Smile
    I did the same thing last year 525 30 hrs from Shogren.You can really get hp out of the 525 with wipple charging and correct set up. Raylar I believe also can raise the HP without a lot of serious work.

Great Move and Find!

18. Collapse Details

You won't regret it! You have a hand assembled racing motor that can run 5g all day long. Mine cost $20,000

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DougSAz View Post
    Just thought i would post an update. I picked up a Mercury Racing 525EFI from an insurance deal (Stolen) for $12000.00 out the door. It is a complete package minus drive with only 42 hours on it. I already have a XR Drive so my search is over. They fired it for us and it sounds great. Had a Mercury tech in Phoenix check it out and he gave it a thumbs up.
    Just curious how did you come across a deal like this???? or where you just lucky.......would like to find something like this for my Donzi 22 classic...

Undertaker

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
    Just curious how did you come across a deal like this???? or where you just lucky.......would like to find something like this for my Donzi 22 classic...

Undertaker
    I'd say he got lucky....