Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Russo and Steel auto auction destroyed.
    Have some good friends that are in Scottsdale, AZ at the Russo and Steel auto auction for the week. (the guys that own the Camaro I posted about that got stolen) Anyway, this is going in along with Barrett/Jackson down there.

Buddy just called me and they are having some pretty serious weather. Apparently many of the huge tents at Russo and Steele have collapsed. He said there are ambulances everywhere, millions of dollars worth of cars are damaged, and the interstate is shut down due to this. He said it's not pretty.

He just called me about five minutes ago. Hope to hear some updates as the night goes on.
    Last edited by buck; 01-21-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

2. Collapse Details

registered
    That's not good

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    damn sorry to hear,,,i,m watchung Barrett now all 39 hrs.. my wife is pissed ,,,no weekend going out,,,I do it every year ,,why so shocked???wemen ???
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

4. Collapse Details

It's sad to hear this kind of news.

5. Collapse Details

not good............I suspect insurance companies are choking right now thinking about what they will have to payout!

6. Collapse Details

news just reported one tent is in the middle of the 101 Hwy
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    not good............I suspect insurance companies are choking right now thinking about what they will have to payout!
    There are already rumors going around that this will do the auction company in for good.

The car that they took down has a large steel pole across it and is crushed. Two of their customer's cars are demolished too. We have another buddy down there that doesn't know the condition of his yet due to the fact that he can't get to it. That's probably not a good sign.

I'm guessing millions in damage as of now.
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

8. Collapse Details

Winds collapse tents at Scottsdale auto auction
    Associated Press - January 21, 2010 9:14 PM ET

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities say two small tents at an auto auction in north Scottsdale collapsed Thursday because of high winds from a winter storm.

Scottsdale police say one person suffered a minor injury and people have been evacuated from a remaining large tent at the Russo-Steele Auto Auction.

Authorities did not immediately know if any of the expensive autos being auctioned this weekend were damaged by the tent collapse.

They say the Barrett-Jackson auto auction in north Scottsdale continues to operate out of the big tent only as a precaution to patrons.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety has shut down the 101 freeway between Scottsdale and Hayden in both directions for debris in the road from the tents.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

9. Collapse Details

I wonder what the definition of a small tent is? I'm getting word that poles holding these things up are 6-8" in diameter.

10. Collapse Details

Well... if it was an EZ-UP... it's probably in Nebraska by now...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

11. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Well... if it was an EZ-UP... it's probably in Nebraska by now...
    No kidding, we always tied five gallon buckets of water to each leg when we had those things in the pits. At Lubbock one year the wind tore the handles out of the buckets and the canopy ended up an 1/8th of a mile away.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

12. Collapse Details

Small is usually up to about 60 x 100 in the tent world.. Somewhere a tent rental co's insurance company is having a BAD morning..

13. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    how about the guys who put it up ??? you know their catching a lot of sh1t today
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    how about the guys who put it up ??? you know their catching a lot of sh1t today
    +1
    ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRYDEN PERFORMANCE MARINE 302-367-4962

15. Collapse Details

That sucks but I hope Barrett Jackson didn't get any damage. My Uncle is the head of consignments for them and it would suck to see any of the cars get damaged.....

16. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    SCOTTSDALE -- Owners of collector cars worth millions haven't been able to assess the damage after vicious winds shredded two tents at the Russo-Steele Auto Auction in Scottsdale. "Those cars, several of them convertibles with the tops down, have been exposed to the rain all night and morning."

That really sucks
    ________

17. Collapse Details

The tent my buddy was in was at least 300' long when it was standing. That's big in my redneck world.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The tent my buddy was in was at least 300' long when it was standing. That's big in my redneck world.
    pup tent
    Wicked

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Man, it hurts to think about this. Kinda glad there aren't any pix.

20. Collapse Details

Wow! Who'd have thought they'd get bad weather... I mean it's not like a big weather system blowing from west to east didn't just hit California on Monday with Tornadoes in Huntington Beach on Tuesday... Glad nobody got seriously hurt. Zero sympathy otherwise, but I'm willing to help... Try this guys. www.weather.com.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."