1. Collapse Details
    Ernest kanzler 1972 rum run
    A blast from the past for a select few of you guys.....I am looking for pics and info on the maurader boats built buy Kenzler......A crazy canadian friend of mine has his boat he won the 1972 rum run with and he wants a top notch restoration done on it ... i am gathering pics and information about the boat to hep us with the rebuild of the boat....Ant info at all would help....Thanks again....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maruder 004.jpg   maruder 026.jpg   maruder 028.jpg  

Still searching for the ultimate old school project....

2. Collapse Details

few more.....We really need shots of the engine and interior..He wants the boat put back period correct.....Kanzler at the ripe age of 74 made a trip across the country to come see his old boat....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maruder 024.jpg   maruder 027.jpg  
    Last edited by nocigarette; 10-04-2009 at 09:28 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, cool project.

Make sure T2x, Black Tornado, and TopBanana see this thread.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

that might be the info I was looking for too..were they production boats?? All I remember was that being a young kid my uncle borrowed a friends boat and took me out in it.. it was a decent sized vee wit twin 454's and was yellow and was a marauder..would have been mid 70's time frame...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

5. Collapse Details

Great project!! That is one cool boat!
    Jr.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nocigarette View Post
    A blast from the past for a select few of you guys.....I am looking for pics and info on the maurader boats built buy Kenzler......A crazy canadian friend of mine has his boat he won the 1972 rum run with and he wants a top notch restoration done on it ... i am gathering pics and information about the boat to hep us with the rebuild of the boat....Ant info at all would help....Thanks again....
    Mike here is the info on Mauraders that I posted before, I will keep looking if there is any more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marauder.jpg   Marauder 1.jpg   Marauder 2.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Thanks mark, I am also looking for a good glass guy that is familiar with restorations of old boats.....East coast, preferably in michigan..

8. Collapse Details

Don't see much west coast history. Very cool boat. Is Kanzler still in Costa Mesa?

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

9. Collapse Details

Really interesting because the only Marauders that I knew were those of Merril during the War in the Pacific.
    I am always happy that a truth Offshore Classic is preserved. But unfortunately I cannot be of help with images or info.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Don't see much west coast history. Very cool boat. Is Kanzler still in Costa Mesa?
    i spoke with Kanzlers Ex-son in law and he said he and his young girlfriend are in Rio somewhere....Crazy life this guy led...Really way ahaed of his time...

11. Collapse Details

Sounds like my kinda guy...
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

12. Collapse Details

I remember Ernie's 22' Marauder race boat quite well. It was 22' because that was POPBRA's length maximum for that particular class. Powered with a 482 MerCruiser and a speedmaster drive. Top speed was 72 to 74 mph. Good rough water boat for its size. Ernie had some great competition with the Bill Vogel family (running a custom built 22-foot Schiada with the same power). Ernie was an interesting guy -- very innovative. I wonder what ever happened to the Marauder he cut down the centerline, re-decked it, making a cat out of a vee-bottom? Several of his stock cabin cruiser Marauders ran in POPBRA races (the Jim Solum family) in the early and mid-1970s.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nocigarette View Post
    Thanks mark, I am also looking for a good glass guy that is familiar with restorations of old boats.....East coast, preferably in michigan..
    I would PM Artie, Offshore Ginger, and GlassDave, and see what they think. Artie is here in Holland, Dave just south of Michigan.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!