Thread: Updated status

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

and I just popped in on the tail end on my way home from the shop

2. Collapse Details
    Dam guy's
    Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    A phone call woulda been nice BTW......I wouldnt have minded coming by to lend a hand....jerks
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Z. View Post
    ditto......
    Pops is not going to ask for help, I know his work hours as he goes up to dam near the same place I do so from time to time we hook up, He does like slow steady work so there fewer mistakes made . :chillpill:

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Behind the scenes action...in order to save room and make for a cleaner appearance in the engine compartment, all the trim pumps, and of course the steering pump (no power assist! Power steering takes horsepower away...duh!) have been mounted in the "cabin." The plumbing still needs to be cleaned up and fastened, but it is all hooked up.

The underside of the indicators...Brian custom made the bracket mount and the mounting plate.

That's all for now. Big projects in the future include cutting 2" off the seat bases and making mounting plates to secure them to the stringers...a problem with the mounting positions that had to be compensated for is the fact that the original boat had pedestal seats which did not interfere with the center-mounted fuel tank. The bolsters would, and thus have to be customized a bit. Also, swinging the motors in and making new mid-plates for the motor mounts to accommodate the slightly different positioning.

The other strategic advance has been the naming of the boat, which will invariably be: STRAIGHT JACKET.

As Mike said, The seat bases needed to be modified to work. I shortend the legs by two inches and made new mounting plates out of 3/16" stainless steel, as opposed to the original 1/8 " plates, with the inboard mounts offset 2 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brians seat bases 001.jpg   Brians seat bases 002.jpg   Brians seat bases 004.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

One more.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brians seat bases 003.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

looks sweet,,,,,the old guy should have the mid engine plates remade by now with thicker material,,,,,, he was burning through cutoff wheels at a furious pace last I saw,,,,, ( havent talked to him since the weekend ) then we can fab the rear engine mounts and set them in.

He did an awesome job of making brackets for the coolers and other accys.

Its coming along nicely !!!

6. Collapse Details

Mid-engine plates are done and installed. I was over there Sunday, and Bri and I cut the other one out of 1/4 aluminum plate (was .090!!) with a saber saw. Not quite as quick as the cutoff wheels, and we burned through quite a few of those little blades, but we got it done. Drill pressed all appropriate holes and remounted the plate and the tranny. 2 hours. Done.

So both motors will be fully rigged up and ready to drop in by the end of the week.

Oh yeah...seats and plates look great Roger! Thanks so much for the help!

7. Collapse Details

Mid-engine plates are done and installed. I was over there Sunday, and Bri and I cut the other one out of 1/4 aluminum plate (was .090!!) with a saber saw. Not quite as quick as the cutoff wheels, and we burned through quite a few of those little blades, but we got it done. Drill pressed all appropriate holes and remounted the plate and the tranny. 2 hours. Done.

So both motors will be fully rigged up and ready to drop in by the end of the week.

Looking great guys!!! And btw, great pick up grabbing Roger, he is the man!!! Mikey, take notes my friend, you have two, pardon the pun, Fountains of Information at your sides now. If someone can not learn something from Sr and Roger H, they are not learnable(like my grammar)!!! Congrats guys, keep up the great work and Roger thanks for making the project an even bigger pleasure to watch come together!!! Hammer

8. Collapse Details

Banned

Cool,,,but i would of used steel for the engine plate !!!!!!
    Tell Sr. i said hello !!

9. Collapse Details

VERRY COOL !! I'l Talk to him tonight for sure on his way home from Mn.

10. Collapse Details

I was there saturday as Brian was starting to cut out the mid plates. Wish someone had a plasma cutter handy. Everything is looking great. Im sure he is greatful for the little elves coming by lending their hands. Cant wait for spring to see that puppy run.

11. Collapse Details

Plasma cutter came up SEVERAL times that day !!! LOL

12. Collapse Details

I have to laugh because I think I even mentioned plasma cutter on Saturday. I'll never measure up to my brother but I'll try and help with whatever I can. I think I have more "communist" (dad hates that I work for toyota) knowledge than anything.

13. Collapse Details
    EVER Notice
    Quote Originally Posted by kerigoff View Post
    I have to laugh because I think I even mentioned plasma cutter on Saturday. I'll never measure up to my brother but I'll try and help with whatever I can. I think I have more "communist" (dad hates that I work for toyota) knowledge than anything.
    100 Guys having a good time in comes 1 woman and there goes the party! Tee Hee!!!!

14. Collapse Details

Shouldnt you be sanding some #4's !!!!!!?????

15. Collapse Details

thanks for the update, looks like the project is coming along great!

16. Collapse Details
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    Shouldnt you be sanding some #4's !!!!!!?????
    You forgot what I told you in our last phone call conversation, as to that sand paper/charmin, Should your memory need to be refresh!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer01 View Post
    Looking great guys!!! And btw, great pick up grabbing Roger, he is the man!!! Mikey, take notes my friend, you have two, pardon the pun, Fountains of Information at your sides now. If someone can not learn something from Sr and Roger H, they are not learnable(like my grammar)!!! Congrats guys, keep up the great work and Roger thanks for making the project an even bigger pleasure to watch come together!!! Hammer
    Thanks for the kind words Trent. Give me a call next time you're in town.

Roger

18. Collapse Details

You guys are doing one hellofa great job. Keep up the good work, from the looks of it, this boat's gonna really fly.

19. Collapse Details

Nice project,but how why not staggered ?

20. Collapse Details

Funny you should bring that up. I think that's the one thing Brian would change if he did it again...but when the decision time came, somehow the standard cockpit won out.